It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Battling Cravings!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Battling Cravings!

Postby Joelme » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi all

Started my new 'diet' today but I'm struggling with cravings.

Between breakfast and lunch I'm fine but at about 2pm until dinner is the hardest. I crunched on some broccoli every now and then to try and satisfy the cravings but it did not help. I've been drinking lots of water to try and fill me up but it isn't long before I'm hungry again.

I caved in and started nibbling on some fruit and nut mix - while I know this is high in calories, I only had a small serving and this satisfied the cravings.
I'm not trying to count calories but I can't help but read the back of everything I touch!

Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting through the afternoon or any healthy snack ideas that are filling and won't ruin the hard work?
Joelme

Re: Battling Cravings!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Depends what's causing the cravings.

If it's genuine hunger then you're probably not actually eating enough. Make sure you get enough food regularly. It may also be because the food you're eating isn't keeping you full. Try combos of fibre and protein, say for example hommous and carrot/celery sticks. Steer well clear of sugar for snacks (including simple carbs), it's guaranteed to send you back for more (sugar is kind of addictive, your body is basically hardwired to seek out and consume easy calories and sugar is da bomb for easy calories). Chickpeas in general are quite a good snack. If it really is just a mater of hanging out for 30min while you cook your next meal, it'll just be a matter of water and mental control, sometimes I use gum just in that interim period so I don't nibble. Nuts are actually good in terms of being full of protein and good nutritional value (especially walnuts and almonds) but they ARE calorie bombs so restrict the portions.

If you think it's psychological there's a few tricks of the trade. Make sure you're not 'denying' yourself, just making a healthy choice. Stop and really look at the thought going through your head, it'll probably be something like "You can have that chocolate cake, I mean, you did walk 2 meters this afternoon, and hey, no-one's watching, besides, you already had half a slice, it'd be just weird not to round it up to one, and while you're at it, just grab another bit..." Once you're not having the wool pulled over your eyes by that sneaky self talk then you're in a better position to make a good sound decision along the lines of "I don't need chocolate cake right now, I'm going to choose not to have it, and I know that the cravings will be there and be hard to resist, but I can try and I have faith that it's possible". Then you can do some behavioural things to help, like making sure the offending items can only be the most healthy options (loving the broccoli idea!), avoiding associated places or activities (for example always having a piece of cake with your coffee, or buying a chocolte bar in a particular shop), or using chewing gum/tic tacs/brush your teeth to delay and deflect eating (let's face it, there's not much you can eat after mint that doesn't taste gross). Chewing gum is my big gun for when the cravings are really bad. You can also use some distracting activity, like going for a walk or getting stuck into cleaning the loo to delay and distract.

Hope something in there helps!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Same here. Mid-afternoon used to drive me insane with hunger until I tried a low-GI diet. After a few months my constant afternoon food cravings disappeared and never came back. Perhaps more carbs at lunchtime may flatten out the insulin/blood sugar levels a bit and blunt the cravings. Or maybe reserve a small apple and lots of water or herbal tea for that time of the day.

Here are some articles from the forum's parent site:
http://www.weightloss.com.au/articles/h ... vings.html
http://www.weightloss.com.au/articles/h ... onger.html
CronicBadger

Postby Joelme » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:25 am

Day 3 and it's safe to say my cravings are starting to subside. I've found by having lunch later in the day reduces the afternoon binge urges. By the time I feel like picking I know it's not long until dinner. After dinner I try to drink plenty of water to fill me up. Also started serving dinner on a smaller plate which didnt make my portion look so small :)
Joelme

Return to Weight loss Talk