It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:41 am

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cheekymeeny64 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:36 pm

hey everyone,
Im kinda new to this forum so clearly i dont know much about this stuff haha.
well i have a bit of an issue....
compared to my family iv always had the weirdest issues concerning my body. Id say im kinda in between hourglass and pear shaped. I lost some weight a few years ago and did look ok, but iv always had issues with like arm fat and big know the usual stuff you get when your a little over weight. Ok well i kinda gained a little weight due to stress from exams and stuff...and to make it worse im onyl 18!!!!!. My mum even asks how its possible that i already have 'waving' arms...she doesnt even have them lol.
I want to get back on the wagon, but want to know if combining cardio and some strength training will shrink those arms. Iv never had this issue when i was young. I was skinny just like my sister...she has the body of a model literally!.....and sometimes i feel down thinking how i could put myself in that position knowing its going to be impossible to look like that again, although id like to think theres some hope out there. I just want to know if i can have my arms to look slim...its weird coz i have tiny wrists, and it just doesnt make sense that im like disproportioned all over my body.
please help me :(

Re: concerned...

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Some people are just built differently to others. I've always had big arms and thighs and regardless of whether I'm fat or thin my proportions remain the same relative to other parts of my body. Your immediate family may have a different build to you but one of your forebears may have had a more curvy shape which is why you put on weight differently to your sister.

My advice would be to celebrate your body shape. Curvy isn't bad. Marilyn Monroe was quite slim (the whole size 16 thing is a bit of a myth) but she had curvy thighs and upper arms and she was gorgeous! Just work with what you have. Fat burning cardio exercise will help shift some of the fat. Pilates will help build slim, long muscles. Long distance running is good for slimming the legs. But overall there's only so much you can do in re-shaping your body.

Good luck!

Re: concerned...

Postby cherieang » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Losing fat around the arms will often take longer because there is more fat to shift than in other areas. The best way would be to tone the arms while at the same time losing weight with basic aerobic exercise. The best exercise for toning the arms are single-joint movements. Examples are curls and tricep kick-backs.

Excerise for thigh

Wall Squat: Front Thigh Exercise.
Starting Position: – Place your upper back against a smooth wall. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, toes pointed slightly outward. Distribute your body weight equally between both feet and lean back against the wall. Movement: – Inhale, keeping your heels in contact with the floor at all times, slowly lower into a squat position while sliding down the wall. Exhale as you slowly straighten your legs, keeping your head and chest up, returning to the starting position. Repeat as required.

Return to Weight loss Talk