It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:27 am

Free Newsletter

newbie teen :)

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

newbie teen :)

Postby sara.louise » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:32 pm

Im 15 yr old teenage girl (169 cm) and recently Ive been trying to lose a few extra kilos. I used to weigh around 65 ish and have come down to 58. It is a healthy weight but I would really like to lose another 6 or so kilos because I look rather big. I can’t get past the 58 kg mark though! Ive been really good and I eat around 1,300 calories a day (except weekends:) haha) and excersice for 40 minutes on the bike everyday but i cant lose anymore weight and now Im starting to gain the weight again because im lacking motivation and advice and my doctor said my metabolism has slowed down. Does anyone have any advice on how to lose more weight or what foods to eat? I really want to lose the weight because I would feel so much better about myself. THANKYOUUUUU

Re: newbie teen :)

Postby KFreeman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey there,

Your BMI (Body Mass Index) which is a measure of body fatness based on your height and weight is 20.3 you calculate it by dividing your weight (kg) by your height (cm) squared. A healthy BMI is between 20 and 25, so you are already at a healthy weight.

You are also still growing which means that you will keep increasing in weight as your body grows bigger. Thats ok, it just means your bones are growing in density and you are increasing your muscle mass. All good!

I would not restrict your diet so much as this will stop your body from having all the important tools it needs to grow healthy muscles and bones.

I would just concentrate on the exercise. Try doing some resistance or strength building exercises that work your muscles as well as your running. This will help build your metabolism and keep your muscles toned and your bones strong!

I know its hard but try not concentrate on the scales so much, they fluctuate too often with different things. Just work on creating healthy eating and exercise habits that will last you for the rest of your life.

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:47 pm

I agree with the sentiment above (however I don't believe the BMI is gospel - it can be wildly inaccurate, just ask any "obese" AFL player.) The teens are hard for body image and self image - try not to get the two confused, it's so easy to confuse them but they really aren't the same thing.

If you concentrate on eating healthily, getting good nutrition and exercise, and focus on ENJOYING your teens and finding out who YOU are regardless of your body size you should be fine. One of the best ways to do this is variety, both in your exercise and your eating. Your body gets used to things very quickly and tries to work out the most energy efficient ways of doing things, so over time if you're doing the same exercise the same way, you'll start to not get the same benefit. Start mixing it up, throw in some jogging, a few pilates sessions maybe or something. Even just mixing your cycling route or speeds will probably help.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby cherieang » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:52 pm

You need food to increase your metabolism
* Water
* Green Tea
* Grapefruit
* Apples and Pears
* Broccoli
* Low-Fat Yogurt
* Oatmeal