It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Free Newsletter

What-

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

What-

Postby yummymummy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:11 pm

What made you decide to lose weight? I think this reason must be different for so many people and it would be interesting to hear why others decided to-
for me it was my health and energy levels I used to finish work feeling so tired and having the most painful back and feet and ended up taking alot of painkillers so I decided one day this cant go on like this and decided to lose my excess weight
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Dolly » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:24 am

Hiding in the backgroud of photo's
and over hearing skinny in-laws mumbling about how lazy I must be if I'm fat.
Dolly

Postby Maraver » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:57 am

To be hones I got so sick of looking at this lump of lard in the mirror
I just think it also has to be the right time to make it work
Pam
Maraver

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:07 am

jeez where do i start?
*photos of me were disgusting
*tiredness
*crankyness
*migraines
*feeling slow and unfit
*couldnt run aorund for long after my bub
*wish i couldve had a sleep at 2pm every day
*going to shops and not being able to find flattering clothes or clothes in my size (at the age of 21 i didnt want to shop in 1626 or the like)
*knowing that i could die at an earlier age if i didnt do anything (im petrified of death so that was a big wake up call)

if i think of anymore ill let you know!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:10 am

I got to a point where I couldn't stand looking at my photos and just stopped having them taken. Would always get very upset but kept it all to myself. Also seeing all those height/weight healthy range charts and that I was obese on every different chart I found.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:28 am

I can't pin one thing down, but I decided after having my wisdom teeth out would be a good time to start after they told me the elevated risk of complications with general anaesthetic given my weight
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby tanya » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:27 pm

i am sick of not having clothes that fit anymore and not being able to find ones that do.
not having any energy or little of it. and i hate looking at myself and i think that if i hate it then others must to. oh and not having as much confidence a si used to.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby Puffer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:01 pm

I'm with Kate - shopping was depressing because there are hardly any size 16's in 'regular' 20 year old girls clothes - I could always fit into Target clothes and older shops eg Katies size 16s but I don't want to shop in places like that! There are never any big sizes at sales either and Im a cheapskate :lol:

I also remembered the feeling from when I got to about 65kg when I started uni - people (men especially) are so much nicer to you even just paying for fuel in the servo. And I know it's not behaviour that should be encouraged but it's flattering when some random guy whistles at you from across the street :oops:

Also I know my gorgeous boy is not embarrased to be with me but I hate it when I notice other people giving us that look like 'what is he doing with her' :cry:
Puffer

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:32 pm

oh yes christina

i know what you mean. it is nice to be noticed for 'not' being large. i seen my mum at the hairdressers yesterday when i walked passed and one the haridressers said to me 'katharine! have you been dieting?' i said yeah ive lost over 10 kgs and she said 'wow!' i said yeah i still ahev awhile to go to lose some more' and she said 'well slow and steady wins the race, thats really good'.

*blush*

it will be interesting to see if i get responses from the opposite censored!
kate_turner2000

Postby Garfield » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:15 pm

Like yummymummy I had a lot of back pain and the physiotherapist basically told me I had to start exercising or I wouldn't be able to sit up long enough to do my exams (year 10 at the time). So I got my ass to the gym and started doing pilates and a class called light pace which was aimed at over 50s :oops:
Now I've aced my year 12 and am almost through the first year of uni :D I am at least 20kg lighter than when the physio told me off and I'm heaps fitter. I hardly ever get pain any more :D
Puffer - what you said about people being nicer to you when you're thin, it's so true. It's not just in daily life either, it can be with important stuff like your career even. Before I started uni I wanted some extra money so I got a job as a barmaid. I never would have got that job if I'd been overweight. My boss noticed me eating twisties one time (quiet night) and said "nobody likes a fat barmaid you know". I'd been working 7 hours already and hadn't eaten anything... I guess it's because I usually didn't eat while I was working there but that got hard if I worked more than 10 hours my energy got really low :( But my point was that if I was overweight he never would have hired me and I'm sure lots of employers are like that.
That's my rant for the day.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby Ally » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:44 pm

For me it was many things:

- not being able to wear nice clothes or underwear
- not being able to go out with out being stared or commented at
- not being able to go places if I didn't know if the chairs would fit my behind
- not being able to run with the kids
- sick of being out of breath

the list just goes on and on!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:49 pm

now how long have you got
*no cothes to fit
* unhappy with appearence
* sitting on kinder chairs on prac hoping they wouldn break underneath me (biggy )
*sick of lack of energy
thats just for straters
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:12 pm

My biggest fear about carrying weight into middle age is the increased chances of heart disease, diabetes etc. I'm lucky to have normal cholestrol & blood sugar levels after carrying weight for so long, I don't that would be the case if I leave it any longer. Also I have a suspect knee which is feeling the strain of excess weight.

Enough of the rational reasons, if the truth be known I am as sick of looking into the mirror as any of you ladies out there. I long for the day when I can shop for clothes off the shelf, go to the beach & not feel like a whale, pop around to the shop in a singlet - you know what I mean.

Having said that I feel there must be acceptance for how you are now so you can move on, do you agree?

Darren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Darren

Postby Ally » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:36 am

Thanks for sharing that Darren, it is nice to have a male's perspective on weight loss. It is very often not recognised and I am glad that you have taken the time to share with us.

I agree that an important step in losing weight is accepting ourselves for WHO we are not WHAT we look like. A strong determination and attitude is important in succeeding!!

Best of luck with your weight loss Darren and you will find as you drop the weight that your dicky knee will benefit greatly!!

Keep us updated on how you are going!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:52 am

i agree darren :) i accept that i am big from no fault but my own and that to lose weight i really need to have good hard look at myself and be in the right frame of mind. if losing weight was easy then there wouldnt be so many overweight people in this world.
kate_turner2000

Return to Weight loss Talk