It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Free Newsletter

Full cream, low fat, not fat etc...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Full cream, low fat, not fat etc...

Postby Carley » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:11 am

What do you have? I've started having full cream because low fat items are loaded with sugar.

What is your take?
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Re: Full cream, low fat, not fat etc...

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:40 am

Depends on what it is. Milk I have no fat (they don't tend to add extra sugar to milk, though the proportion of lactose increases because there's proportionately less fat). Yoghurts you do have to watch, but if you read the labels you can find low fat and low sugar which I tend to go for. Cheeses I compare labels and aim for the lowest I can get with reasonable comparisons.

There's two reasons to go for low fat - one is that fat has a high caloric content and is less easily available as energy to burn so it's effectively harder to burn off than sugar (although excess sugar is one sure fire way to put weight on because if you don't use it, it WILL be stored as fat via the insulin response - insulin is what your pancreas releases to help reduce blood sugar spikes and it stores the excess sugar on your bum/thighs/gut etc to use later). The other is that the types of fats in animal products like cheese, butter, meats etc are MUCH higher in saturated and trans fats which are the nasty ones.

I was listening to the radio the other day, they had the heart foundation on saying that the rates of trans fats in butter is quite unhealthy but that the rates of butter consumption had skyrocketed since shows like masterchef. They were trying to get those cooking shows to switch from butter to vegetable options like canola or olive oil so that the rest of us schmucks that copycat the shows wont be beefing up on those fats. Strangely enough the person from the dairy industry who they spoke to afterwards was arguing that dairy is really healthy and was saying that saturated fat was actually good for you (given the heart foundation was commenting on trans fats they'd kind of missed the point to start with...). Don't know about you, but I'd have more faith in taking information about my cardiovascular health from the heart foundation rather than the dairy industry who has a vested interest in selling dairy products... just saying...
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Gordz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:23 pm

low fat milk is a scam. the body has a harder time breaking the fat down... moderation is key
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby kotobird » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:59 pm

I go low fat generally, as a compromise, middle ground between full and no... I've found the Jalna brand low fat yogurts great, because they're sweetened with fruit juice, they have no cane sugar! I don't like artifical sweeteners so this is great for me. I also found a naturally occurring low fat cheese in Provole. It's like mozzarella, but even lower in fat - around 21%. Goes great on healthy home made pizzas and toasted sandwiches with tomato and basil. I've found that by being a pretty avid label-reader I've found diet-friendly products that are natural and not filled with dubious chemicals, or put through dubious processes to get the fat out of them.

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg
kotobird

Postby Shay » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 am

Carley wrote:What do you have? I've started having full cream because low fat items are loaded with sugar.

What is your take?

Same, plus it tastes so much better!
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby Carley » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Shay wrote:
Carley wrote:What do you have? I've started having full cream because low fat items are loaded with sugar.

What is your take?

Same, plus it tastes so much better!

Completely agree.
Goal for 2016:
Carley

Postby laughing_sheep » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Well I have Pura Tone milk in my cereal and i have 'For Me' yoghurt- it is fat-free and sugar-free. I'd love to have regular yoghurt but one tub has 8 grams of fat! And something like 6 teaspoons of sugar. Full cream milk has double the amount of calories/kilojoules as skim so that's a big factor for me in trying to lose weight.
~Steph~

Starting weight: 92
Current weight: 70
Goal weight: 66
laughing_sheep

Postby Carley » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:17 am

laughing_sheep wrote:Well I have Pura Tone milk in my cereal and i have 'For Me' yoghurt- it is fat-free and sugar-free. I'd love to have regular yoghurt but one tub has 8 grams of fat! And something like 6 teaspoons of sugar. Full cream milk has double the amount of calories/kilojoules as skim so that's a big factor for me in trying to lose weight.

I'm lucky that isn't a factor for me because I'm vegan :)
Goal for 2016:
Carley

Postby laughing_sheep » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Carley wrote:
laughing_sheep wrote:Well I have Pura Tone milk in my cereal and i have 'For Me' yoghurt- it is fat-free and sugar-free. I'd love to have regular yoghurt but one tub has 8 grams of fat! And something like 6 teaspoons of sugar. Full cream milk has double the amount of calories/kilojoules as skim so that's a big factor for me in trying to lose weight.

Cool, that's awesome! I would love to be a vegan.
~Steph~

Starting weight: 92
Current weight: 70
Goal weight: 66
laughing_sheep

Postby Carley » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:00 pm

laughing_sheep wrote:
Carley wrote:

Cool, that's awesome! I would love to be a vegan.

That the 30 day vegan challenge and try it :)
Goal for 2016:
Carley

Postby court » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:16 am

Full cream, full fat :) just moderation! Organic when possible and if I dont know what an ingredient is on the back of something i dont buy it...Plus I hate the sound of all the preservatives on that back of those no fat yogurts!! :shock:
court

Postby Carley » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:55 pm

court wrote:Full cream, full fat :) just moderation! Organic when possible and if I dont know what an ingredient is on the back of something i dont buy it...Plus I hate the sound of all the preservatives on that back of those no fat yogurts!! :shock:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goal for 2016:
Carley

Postby MiniTauro » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:24 am

Halve Cream... at least milk.

There are advertisements like "because low isn´t zero, blah blah", but really, check the label and you can see that the difference between a half cream milk (semi) and a "light" milk is of 2gr fat per liter! If you have a glass of milk, that´s only a difference of 0.4gr of fat = 3.6 calories - and Light milk tastes like anything but milk ;)

The amounts of protein and carbs are about the same in both semi and light, at least the brand I buy.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link in signature removed.
MiniTauro

Return to Weight loss Talk