It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Does uni = weight gain

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Does uni = weight gain

Postby sandradee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:23 am

Hello

Just wondering if anyone really stacked on the weight when studying????
sandradee

Re: Does uni = weight gain

Postby e&me » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:27 am

I have done 2 years of uni so far and before I started uni I could devote my days to exercise and eating right, had no other commitments other then my son, but then I started to study and my focus shifted from exercise and healthy eating to study. I have not necesarily gained weight because of study, but I have been losing it a lot slower or staying the same. Snacking has become an issue for me when it never used to be, and instead of getting a workout in once I drop my son off at daycare I rush home to do more study most of the time.

But I have gotten better by being more organised, I wrote up a timetable that had when I needed to exercise and do everything else as well as enough study time, since doing that I do get time to exercise, and when I exercise I am better with my eating.

Just stay focused and you will do great
1/01/2011 Start week
8/01/2011 Week 1
15/01/2011 Week 2
22/01/2011 Week 3
29/01/2011 Week 4
5/02/2011 Week 5
12/02/2011 Week 6
19/02/2011 Week 7
26/02/2011 Week 8
5/03/2011 Week 9
12/03/2011 Week 10
19/03/2011 Week 11
26/03/2011 Week 12
e&me

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 am

after 4 years of my undergrad and honours degree I was up to 110kg, in my year off I lost 30kg. 4 years in to my PhD I put back on 15kg and struggling to get it down. I conclude that on the basis of this n=1 study that the hypothesis that uni=weight gain is supported and recommend universities be shut down altogether for the health of the community :P
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Sanov22 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:41 am

It doesn't have to but I think that it certainly becomes more difficult to make weight loss a priority when you're really into your study... Last year I lost about 6kg while I was studying, but I put it back on again (while I was still studying)... Since finishing last semester I've lost about 9kg so far and feel pretty confident I can lose more/keep it off... I guess the biggest thing is snacking - sitting around for long periods to study I always felt like I needed to eat something even when I wasn't hungry... If you've got no need to sit around you can just make yourself go do something to distract you from eating...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby lindah » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:05 am

I did a year of uni irrelevant to my current course, and during that year I lost weight, and I had never lost weight before! I put it down to living by myself, forgetting to eat or being too lazy to cook, and being so poor I could hardly afford to eat! That said, as soon as I got a boyfriend I started packing it on, and doing uni again hasn't helped! I agree totally with the constant snacking, I do it but try to bring celery or carrot instead of unhealthy foods.
lindah

Postby misscallie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Definitely drinking more when I started uni made me put on weight. It can be hard when your lifestyle changes figuring out how you're going to stay in shape. But, the other thing is uni gyms are generally really cheap :)
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not link to commercial sites as it violates forum rules.
misscallie

Postby niksta » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:25 pm

I stacked on the weight while at uni, but uni wasnt the major cause of it (it was due to unhealthy eating and pretty much no exercise due to a job). I graduate next yr and Im slowly losing the weight.. Though I was off to a flying start, but then came along Exam week and I pretty much bummed out and I put on a kilo... but Im back on the wagon. :D
niksta

Postby dearne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:12 pm

i hate to be the opposite one but during my time at uni i actually lost more than i gained. the time i gained the most weight was when i was unemployed.

i put it down to the fact that i was working 2 jobs for the most part, studying so many hours at uni and living over an hour from uni which meant i had to eat whatever was there, and for the most part my friends and i would eat salad sandwiches. so while i was at uni eating was a luxury, and also whenever i needed to get anywhere i needed to walk.

my other benefit was because i was at acu in melbourne it was a small building with only 5 floors, so it was quicker to get to class via the stairs than the lift so i took the stairs to every class. :idea: ithink i may have to use the stairs at work more.... hmmmm
Dearne
dearne

Postby Tyger » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:11 pm

I experienced the opposite while at uni. I only had about 12 contact hours a week and I was pretty efficient at studying. I would use most of the weekdays to exercise and go for jogs and go to the gym.

Now I am working full-time and the transition has been hectic for me. Working 9-5, 5 days a week means I have to jam exercise into the evenings when I have 20 other things I want/have to do.

How I miss uni days! All that freedom! Now I am stuck in an office all day long and really have to watch what I eat, all the time.
Tyger

Return to Weight loss Talk