It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:51 am

Free Newsletter

My goal is to lose weight, but where do I start with this?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

My goal is to lose weight, but where do I start with this?

Postby Jaymes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Hello, my name is Jaymes. I'm 21 years old and my goal for this year is to lose 5kgs. I'm new to these boards so I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have regarding losing weight. :)

Currently I am 110 Lbs (or 50kilos). I would love to be 100 Lbs (45kilos). Is this goal attainable for me, would you say?

I am 5'2 and have been a vegetarian for over eight months and have been struggling to lose weight for a while now. I used to be an emotional eater; I especially craved chocolate and sweets as I am currently battling through depression and anxiety. Now, I suppose you could say, I haven't felt like eating sweets for some time now, as my self-esteem is lower than it usually is and I don't feel like eating as much as I usually did.

I want to lose weight for myself, and although friends say I'm fine or my mother says I'm "tiny", I do not feel comfortable with my body at the moment.

Some days I eat nothing for breakfast except a coffee. Lunch, an apple or banana. And for dinner, its usually a vegetarian meal of veggie burgers or snitzels (with protien) and a side of vegetables and chickpeas or lentils. I've read constantly that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but usually I can't stomach it. Any thoughts on how I could improve my eating to not only make myself feel better, but to make my energy levels better, also?
Thanks, I'd appreciate any insight. :D And I look forward to hopefully meeting some new friends on here, where we share the same aspirations and goals.
Jaymes

Re: My goal is to lose weight, but where do I start with this?

Postby Carly :) » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Helo Jaymes, and welcome to this forum.
It sounds like perhaps you are not eating enough for your metabolism.
You do realize the less you eat is the slower your metabolic rate is which means ur body
will eventually slow down and gain weight if you chan ge eating habits. I think you should eat breakfast, - oats
or wholemeal toast with tomato or something cos this will kick start your metabolism.

It is important for your health and welbeing to eat enough, sounds liek you dont need to lose weight,
however maybe if you tone a bit you will be most happy. I agree and feel the same when you feel bigger than what people say,
or when your mates say "youre tiny" when you see your body differently.
I am assuming you are female? you did not say your gender.

I would like to help you lose 5kgs yet you should lose wwight by kick starting breaky and making that metabolism start
proiperly otherwise it is starting at lunch time. Coffee is not enough.

:( hope i helped a little.
CARLY :)
Carly :)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Jaymes, welcome to the forum,
I'm a little concerned that you're not eating much, report low hunger, and have a history of depression/anxiety. Changes to eating patterns are one of the symptoms of depression and I would really really recommend you get that checked. Also, if you're struggling with anxiety, one of the first things I would knock out is stimulants like coffee - your nervous system doesn't need to be ramped up any more than it is.

Your BMI is currently in the normal range and if you went down 5kg it would put you in the underweight category. Now I am not an advocate of the BMI being used as a sole measure - it isn't always accurate and should be used with other indicators - but that, combined with other people saying you're 'tiny' and your reports of low self esteem are enough for me to think maybe your desire to lose weight is less about needing to, and more about your current psychological state (i.e. you're trying to control your weight to control your mood). Obviously I can't know for sure over an internet forum, but the last thing I'd want to do is encourage you to do something unhealthy - Being underweight is just as dangerous for your health as being overweight.

I'd really recommend talking to your GP to:
1) Get an unbiased medical opinion about your need to lose weight - a good GP can do all sorts of measures for you as well as BMI, like skin fold tests, and also give you a good once over.
2) Get an assessment of your mental health and get help for that if need be. This will mean being honest with your GP about how you're feeling and how it relates to you wanting to lose weight.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby e&me » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 am

I agree with the others, you should be working on getting your metabolism working efficiantly and working on toning your body rather then losing weight. Like the last poster said your bmi is in the healthy range at the moment and if you lose too much weight you will be underweight which is not healthy.
For breakfast start small for a while and build up, so try a bit of fruit or some yoghurt, maybe a smoothy if you have a blender?
What exercise are you doing at the moment? If your doing mainly cardio then maybe switch to strength training to firm up what it is you dont like about your body
1/01/2011 Start week
8/01/2011 Week 1
15/01/2011 Week 2
22/01/2011 Week 3
29/01/2011 Week 4
5/02/2011 Week 5
12/02/2011 Week 6
19/02/2011 Week 7
26/02/2011 Week 8
5/03/2011 Week 9
12/03/2011 Week 10
19/03/2011 Week 11
26/03/2011 Week 12
e&me

Postby Carly :) » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:48 am

e&me wrote:What exercise are you doing at the moment? If your doing mainly cardio then maybe switch to strength training to firm up what it is you dont like about your body

^^ Yes i agree, maybe dont do as much cardio if you are already, and start using more weights,
you will see a change in your body's composition and posture. :) you will tone up without needeing to lose any more weight.
You dont want to be underweight, its not particularly healthy sweetie. x
Carly :)

Postby cherieang » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Jaymes wrote:Some days I eat nothing for breakfast except a coffee. Lunch, an apple or banana. And for dinner, its usually a vegetarian meal of veggie burgers or snitzels (with protien) and a side of vegetables and chickpeas or lentils. I've read constantly that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but usually I can't stomach it. Any thoughts on how I could improve my eating to not only make myself feel better, but to make my energy levels better, also?
Thanks, I'd appreciate any insight. :D And I look forward to hopefully meeting some new friends on here, where we share the same aspirations and goals.

Seems like you don't eat much for your breakfast. Skipping breakfast is wrong. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

When you skip breakfast, your metabolic rate slows down and your blood sugar drops. As a result, you become hungry and have less energy. This sets you up to impulsively snack in the morning - often on high-fat sweets - or to eat extra servings or bigger portions at lunch or dinner.

When you eat breakfast, your body feels nourished and satisfied, making you less likely to overeat the rest of the day.
Eating breakfast every day may reduce the risk for obesity and insulin resistance syndrome - an early sign of developing diabetes - by as much as 35 to 50 percent, according to a study presented at a recent American Heart Association conference.

Start your breakfast with
# Milk and whole-grain cereal
# Instant oatmeal topped with raisins and milk
# Whole-grain granola topped with fruit and yogurt
# Peanut butter spread on whole-wheat toast or a bagel
# Fruit smoothie made with yogurt
# Cheese and whole-grain crackers
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: If you are going to copy information from another source please credit the original author.
cherieang

Postby biscuit74 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:42 am

I agree with "cherieang". Personally I cant go on during the day without eating breakfast but some of my friends do exactly that. Going over what your eating on some days suggest to me that you have a very slow metabolism. In regards to your weight and height, I think that's fine and you don't wont to go any lower.

A good breakfast I like to make is a fruit smoothie. I have two frozen bananas, one apple (not frozen) and about 4 -6 strawberries. I add a scoop of whey protein and some rice milk. Its a great way to feel good and start the day with energy. One note i would make is having 3 solid meals. This will help your energy levels come back.
Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link in signature removed
biscuit74

Postby dinosaur371 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:19 pm

I have the same issue with breakfast. If I do eat it I tend to feel queasy till about 11. So damned if I do, damned if I don't :P I have however been trying whey protein shake things and they aren't as bad as solid food (don't sit heavy in your stomach) but have the same benefits. They can be expensive though.
Weights are good too. Lots of reps at a low weight for tone (not to bulk up).
:D
dinosaur371

Postby Louisa89 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:32 am

I agree wiht what has been said above about having breakfast. That is the number 1 step for being healthy and starting your journey of weight loss safely.
I would say too that you should try to get some psychological, you shouldn´t worry just abou you body healt/look but also for your mind. I can´t see you so I can´t quite determine that, but your mesurements seem actually quite normal to me, not a fit of overweight there. But I understand that the way we see ourselves isn´t always the way other people see us. But then again, for that reason, I would say it´s more important that you first recover from you depression and anxiety status and then think about your weight. Maybe the view you have of yourself will change. Crossing my fingers for you!!
Louisa89

Postby laughing_sheep » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:10 pm

You say that you are 5'2 and according to the healthy weight range for your height- you should weigh between 50 to 62 kilos. If you start to go below this you may be inviting health problems such as infection, osteoporosis etc. I would also like to mention that strict dieting can also lead to the loss of lean muscle mass which will lower your metabolism. I really think you are heading down a dangerous road and I speak as someone who suffered from an eating disorder as a teen. Make an appointment with your doctor and he or she can tell you why its a bad mistake for you to be trying to lose weight. Try and accept yourself for who you are, look in the mirror and try and focus on the parts of yourself you like.
~Steph~

Starting weight: 92
Current weight: 70
Goal weight: 66
laughing_sheep

Postby TerryMoran » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 pm

:lol: Hello friend,
According to my knowledge through exercise and yoga you can easily loss your weight, but you should give some time for this on a daily basis. If you have no time for these things, then I would like to suggest for Advertising link removed because it works good. Using diet drops one of my friends loss their 5kg weights in two months.
TerryMoran

Return to Weight loss Talk