A couple of months ago on tv one friday night they showed a BBC special program called something like '10 Scientific Ways to Help You Lose Weight'. Anyways this is what I can remember from it.
1. Keep moving and lose weight- incidental exercise and movement all adds up.
2. Eat dairy products- a guy from the band 'Blur' is a dairy lover and makes his own cheese. He agreed to participate in an experiment involving dairy products. For one week, he ate no dairy products at all. During the second week he included dairy in his diet. His poo was scientifically analyzed by a lab in the Netherlands (gross I know!) and they found that on the days he ate dairy, there was twice as much fat found in his poo as on the days he didn't. So- our bodies excrete twice as much fat with dairy as without! Amazing...
3. Exercise regularly- a doctor exercised on a treadmill and his metabolic rate and the rate at which his body burnt fat was analyzed. He had done no exercise the day before (I think). Anyways the next day he came back to the lab and the same test was performed again. They found that his body was burning fat at a much higher rate on the day after he exercised. This means that our bodies will even burn more fat while we sleep and rest if we exercise
4. Eat soup- they used people in the army for this experiment. One group was given a typical roast chicken meal- chicken, vegies, potato with a cup of water. The other group had this exact same meal, with one very important difference- the food was blended with the cup of water. Anyways they found that the group who had the blended meal was kept feeling fuller for longer than the group who didn't. So eat soup! (and smoothies during summer lol)
5. Keep a food diary- they found that people kept forgetting what they were eating and a food diary is an excellent way to combat this. As soon as you eat or drink anything, write it down.
6. Count your calories- they also found that people underestimated how much they were eating. So calorie counting is important- even healthy eaters can be tripped up by too many calories
7. Use smaller plates- in one study at a movie cinema, participants were given buckets of popcorn. One was larger, one was smaller. However, both were very large amounts- too much to be eaten in one sitting. After the movie was over, they found that the people who had the larger buckets ate more on average than those who didn't. So use smaller plates
8. The more variety, the more you will eat- our brains are hardwired to eat more food when there is more variety available. This comes from our hunter-gatherer days and assisted us in getting lots of different nutrients that our bodies needed. In one study they put out two bowls of sweets- one set of sweets was multi-coloured, the other set was just one colour. At the end of the week they found that the multi-coloured sweets were all gone but the sweets that were one colour were still left.
9. Protein keeps you fuller for longer- a group of four men were given four different breakfasts. Each hour after eating they were asked to rate how full they were and they found that those who had included more protein in their breakfast were kept fuller for longer.
10. I CAN'T REMEMBER!
Somebody has uploaded it to youtube if you search for '10 things you need to know about losing weight.' You can watch it for yourself, its really interesting. And you can also tell me (and everyone else here) the tenth tip if you want! lol. Or maybe I will just watch it again myself!