It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Free Newsletter

I dont understand protein..

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I dont understand protein..

Postby lindtcrazy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:45 am

Some one please help me, if eating really healthy was not hard and new enough.

Either my digital scales are possessed or they are truthful, can't be though. I weigh each morning in one spot, I am 67kg. I move the thing 2 ft left and then weigh 69kg :twisted:

I also remember reading someone's post about upping protein to 125 g. I just had two vegie soy sausage delights, they weighed 120g, so this equated on nutrition panel as 17g protein. I think one has to eat alot of food to get 125g protein, that could be my downfall. I look at a piece of protein and say meh, thats enough protein. Can you tell just by looking at the size of protein, probably not :?:

Going to have to be a scientist to lose weight :|
lindtcrazy

Re: I dont understand protein..

Postby Sanov22 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:01 am

Are the scales moving onto a different surface or a different incline? Even so a 2kg difference seems like too much to be just random error... does it always give you that much of a difference or is it just a once off? And do you at least get reasonably consistent readings if you leave the scales in the one spot? Might be time for a new set otherwise...

With the counting grams of this or that kind of food... if you're not into that then don't bother, it wont help you that much. It's in the same vein as calorie counting, - if you find it fun/motivating/etc then by all means do it. But remember you're trying to make a lifestyle change, not "go on a diet", so if counting grams/calories is not something you can see yourself doing FOREVER, then it's not going to help you in the long run. Eat less, eat healthier, move more... and you will lose weight. Everything else ranges from a distracting gimmick to something that might HELP you to eat less or move more. But there's absolutely no one-size-fits-all formula. By all means try those things (except the stupid ones like a 6 day water diet or something!) but if you don't like it, don't bother.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:58 am

See here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25449 for an explanation about why your scales randomly change readings and why it's pointless to multiply weigh in a day.

As for being a scientist to lose weight... if you look at all the recommendations from different sources (you're supposed to eat fish x times per week, red meat x times per week, lean white meat x times per week, plus the serves of vegetable and fruit and grains and legumes ... and on and on, and then add in you have t restrict your saturated fat (but there's heaps of saturated fat in all that dairy and red meat I'm supposed to be eating) and sugar (but what about all that fructose in the fruit?) and reduce carbs (so what about the fruit and the grains...) yep, you'd be eating a lot of food and you'd need a PhD in molecular biology to work out what you should be putting in your mouth and when.

I really think we can make it as complex or as simple as you like. Me, I go for the "as close to something that was in a paddock with minimal intervention by people, and as much variety and colour as possible" philosophy. I.e. plenty of fresh vegies, a small amount of lean animal protein and minimal refined carbs (white bread, sugar etc).
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby e&me » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:21 am

Weight loss does not have to be complicated, its just about balancing it out, my belief is that if I have to weigh everything, count everything, analyze everything then its not a life I want to live, I want a life outside my kitchen, I dont want to be thinking about food all the time- whether that be in a good way or bad. So I chose to just stick with the recommendations that one serve of meat is about palm size, try to only have red meat 2 times a week, chicken 3 times a week and fish 2 times a week, have 5 serves of veggies a day and 2 serves of fruit, and add some good fats, grains, dairy ect and its a healthy diet.
1/01/2011 Start week
8/01/2011 Week 1
15/01/2011 Week 2
22/01/2011 Week 3
29/01/2011 Week 4
5/02/2011 Week 5
12/02/2011 Week 6
19/02/2011 Week 7
26/02/2011 Week 8
5/03/2011 Week 9
12/03/2011 Week 10
19/03/2011 Week 11
26/03/2011 Week 12
e&me

Postby lindtcrazy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:27 am

I assume my floor was level, same tiles 2ft left different, happened again this morning. I might throw them in bin, bells and whistles on a fancy scale pale in comparison to good old fashioned ones. Less likely to obsess when you can't see decimal points.

I really just want a fuss free way to lower cholesterol and get back in my summer clothes.I dont want to buy new clothes. I am hoping to lessen some of the heaps of cellulite i have. I am realistic, it wont all go away.. I am feeling alot more with energy too and that feels good.

I realise if I dont want to be a yo yo dieter, this has to be doable for life and diets are not doable long term.
If I am waiting to eat normal after this, then this is set for fail. I see that.

Thanks people that replied, there is good insight here.
lindtcrazy

Postby joner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:59 am

Hi
The recommended amount of protein to eat daily depends on your weight and exercise routine.
I must say that it is important to eat protein with every meal to help weightloss, as it makes you feel fuller for longer and also gets your metabolism going.
The standard recommendation is 0.8grams per kilo of body-weight or 0.37 per Lbs of body weight at a minimum. This would need to be increased if you are doing regular exercise a few times a week. I would increase to about 1.8grams per kilo. So for example, for an 80Kg person doing regular exercise, they should eat about 144grams (80x1.8) of protein per day. This should be divided up during the day, so about 30-35grams per your 3 main meals and the rest as snacks during the day. To put this into real term foods, below is a list of rough grams of protein for certain foods.
Average chicken breast 35g
3oz turkey breast 25g
Average Salmon fillet 42g
3oz pork chop 27g
3oz beef steak 27g
1 Cup Cottage cheese 31g
Egg 6g
1 cup lentils 18g

Hope this helps
Joner
Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advertising link removed
joner

Return to Weight loss Talk