It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:35 pm

Free Newsletter

Subway: Treat or Healthy Eating Option?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Subway: Treat or Healthy Eating Option?

Postby jnp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:50 pm

I've heard differing opinions on what people class Subway, and would be interested what y'all think here.
For me, I consider it a healthy eating option. I've heard someone people classify it in the same take-away food as other fast food, which I've never really understood.
Of course there are limitations, as with everything. A sub with double cheese, double meat, very few salads and lathered in dressing is definitely not a healthier choice given the selection. But a standard sadwich, I think Subway is an ok.
jnp

Re: Subway: Treat or Healthy Eating Option?

Postby BelleJournee » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I consider Subway a healthy option, but only compared to the crap I normally eat! In reality though, even a 6" sub is a pretty big meal. I bet it packs a fair few calories.
BelleJournee

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:24 am

Depends what goes on the sub. The tuna you'd think would be a healthy option, but it's mixed with mayonaise and is loaded with fat. The seafood is the same (and it's probably not fish from the sea, but freshwater Mekong River catfish). Same goes for the chicken piece with skin and batter. IMO the best fillings are the Vegie Delite and the Roast Chicken (skinless breast, very little fat) minus cheese and dressing. A wrap rather than the bun is better still. A Roast Chicken wrap (minus cheese and dressing) is about 1300 Kj. The Vegie Wrap about 1000 Kj.

And stay away from the "cookies".
CronicBadger

Postby WillBThin50 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 am

Hi, I'm new here, so sorry for interjecting out of the blue. The menu is down below, they provide nutritional information but I would view them with a tinge of skepticism. The roast beef appears to be one of the better options at 1090kJ and 17g of protein. Again, it's up to your better judgement but I think an occassional 6 inch meatball sub without cheese and some bbq sauce (and all the veggies) is a great treat without devastating your waist line.

http://www.subway.com.au/info/our_menu/

Personally, I avoid making subway a part of my regular diet as bread and I have a rather adversarial relationship. But if it's economically viable and more convenient for you, it should be alright. Hope that was mildly helpful!
"There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something" - Henry Ford

"To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in." - Richard Feynman

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWVLKlF/]
[/url]
WillBThin50

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I agree with the above.

Is it better than Maccas? Probably, but only if you don't have the cheese, dressings or anything with mayo in it (they're chockabloc full of cream, sugar and fat). I personally don't actually like Subway - their bread always tastes stale to me :? . I have had their wraps which are ok. If it was the only option other than Maccas or HJ or KFC or something I would go to Subway, but other than that I'd rather either pack my own lunch or go to a salad bar and get a salad sandwich on wholemeal/grain bread that actually tasted fresh.

I also don't like any of the other big fast food chains. I AM a sucker for bakeries though...
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby JP1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Agreed it probably depends what you have and the dressings, sauces etc you add but the reason I call it a treat is that basically I have the 12" as the 6" just doesn't fill me.. ideally there should be a size inbetween :lol: but anyway Meatball (my fave) is probably not the healthiest option either but better than other takeaways.. I also consider chicken kebabs in the same category..
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby dearne » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:57 pm

i do eat subway, sadly more often than i would like to but i have very limited options (when im an hour from home at almost 10pm with no food in my bag and not able to transport the healthy food i want for 17hours there is not much choice)

one good thing they have going in the bread department is that there is a wholemeal and wholegrain bread option. on all the serviettes there is the nutrional table, and their subs with 6g of fat or less are actually as they say, and it also has a lowish calorie count.

the likes of mcdonalds now actually have salad options available which arent badly priced, but are covered in dressing (please note subway and mcdonalds are owned by the same people)

subway is an option if there are few other options.
Dearne
dearne

Postby Awaha » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:19 pm

man... the Cookies are my downfall... at 200cal each... its just too much

I was also in the same situation before with subway being my "healthy" options compare to the local lunch bar around my work... had it everyday thinking that its healthy, but wondering why Im still putting on weight...

After reading some infos on the calorie contents of each sub... it is just scary to know that one 12inc BMT sub, and 3 cookies is nearly my 1 day calorie allowance now
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFgBXFf/

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. ~Lance Armstrong
Awaha

Postby Sanov22 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 am

Healthy!!! I really think people can get too bogged down in how many calories and how many grams of this or that... we are talking about a meat and salad roll here... just be sensible - don't get double cheese or bacon or a shitload of mayo... say no to the cookies and get juice or water or diet coke for a drink... the only thing is the portion size imo. Depending on your gender/activity levels/how many meals per day/etc even the 6" is maybe a little on the big side for quantity ... but you can just make your other meals smaller...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby lindah » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:00 am

I love subway, and luckily as I'm a vegetarian, there is no temptation in those meatball subs! I usually have a sub with all the vegies on it (though I'm trying to wean myself off jalapenos). I'm trying to go vegan so usually I have no cheese but I love their ranch dressing, apparently it's low carb. But to learn that subway and mcdeath are owned by the same people seriously makes me not want to buy subway ever again! :shock:
lindah

Postby Awaha » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Sanov22 wrote:Healthy!!! I really think people can get too bogged down in how many calories and how many grams of this or that... we are talking about a meat and salad roll here... just be sensible - don't get double cheese or bacon or a shitload of mayo... say no to the cookies and get juice or water or diet coke for a drink... the only thing is the portion size imo. Depending on your gender/activity levels/how many meals per day/etc even the 6" is maybe a little on the big side for quantity ... but you can just make your other meals smaller...

Unfortunately, calories is something we need to keep track of.... maybe not to the minute details of 0.00001 calories but as long as you are aware of what you are putting in... I was under the same impression before where I said "its only a sandwich... it must be healthy"... but you just need to be aware of it....

if your calorie in is less than your maintenance calories need (BMR), you will loose weight...

Too much of healthy stuff is not going to help either... check out the "Sumo Diet"... what they eat are mostly healthy... it's just the quantity of food they eat that makes them fat.

However, I do have cheat meals during the weekend that keeps me sane from my weekdays lower calorie diets... and Subway is on my list of to eat stuff... i just need to make sure i keep it within my BMR level, this will keep my "diet" a long term change and maintainable.

BUT, if you need to make a choice between McD, HJ, KFC, or Subway... I will still pick subway as the healthier option... (just let me check my iphone to see how many calorie its going to be :mrgreen: )
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFgBXFf/

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. ~Lance Armstrong
Awaha

Postby Sanov22 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:15 am

Yah, we are in agreement Awaha. It is healthy food (besides if you get cookies/double cheese etc)... the only thing is the serving size is too much for many people.

... They should serve a 3-inch sub... or 4 inch even... I would probably have it every day if they did
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby misscallie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I think it depends a lot on what you get from there- there are some not-so-healthy choices. But I always get just a six inch, on wheat bread, with just salad. I can't remember the calories for that but I looked it up ages ago and I think it's only around 250 or something. Just be careful of meats, cheese and dressings! That's what will get you.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not link to commercial sites as it violates forum rules.
misscallie

Postby 2ndTimeBecky » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:43 pm

I enjoy Subway as a 'treat' as such.... Fridays used to be my have whatever you want day - pre-weightloss, and I used to get a Med or Large Grand Angus Burger Meal, with Frozen Coke/Fanta as the drink. I have not had a single one of those since I started the healthy eating - now I have Subway as my lazy friday meal - and I have the Chicken Teryaki in a wrap with all salads (but no cheese, onions, halepaenos and pickles) with Sweet Onion Dressing and a bottle of Coke Zero.... OK, its not the best choice ever but its pretty good out of the Subway options (I do get jealous of those in line getting footlong subways with meatballs and mozzarella though!!!) and its a hot meal and tasty. My work is 100m from Subway, Maccas, KFC and Red Rooster, plus a bunch of Bakeries so I think my wrap is a pretty good choice given the temptations!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgDr74s/]
2ndTimeBecky

Postby Monica1988 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:38 pm

I wouldn't say its majorly unhealthy compared to KFC... however like everyone mentioned it really depends what you put in your sub, just try stay away from cheese and have avacado instead or have a light dressing or none. :)

I go there when my partner goes to McDonalds.. mind you hes really skinny and whatever he eats he doesn't gain! :x
Monica1988

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk