It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:29 am

Mmmmm..... cinnamon, tasty and potentially beneficial.

The scientific jury is still a little unsure, but there is some evidence showing cinnamon can assist with insulin resistance and in lowering blood glucose levels (precursors to diabetes type 2 and weight gain). Apparently "they" think it helps stabilise blood glucose by mimicking insulin action in transporting glucose to cells.

You can't read the entire article (unless you're at uni and your library is a subscriber) but you can read the abstract of a recent review here

Full reference is:

Kirkham S, Akilen R, Sharma S, Tsiami A. (2009). The potential of cinnamon to reduce blood glucose levels in patients with type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. Diabetes Obesity and Metabolism, 11 (12) p. 1100-1113.

You CAN download this one: ... 053555.pdf

Anderson, R.A. (2008). Chromium and polyphenols from cinnamon improve insulin sensitivity. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 67, 48–53

Their abstract reads:

"Naturally-occurring compounds that have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity include Cr and polyphenols found in cinnamon (Cinnamomon cassia). These compounds also have similar effects on insulin signalling and glucose control. The signs of Cr deficiency are similar to those for the metabolic syndrome and supplemental Cr has been shown to improve all these signs in human subjects. In a double-blind placebo-controlled study it has been demonstrated that glucose, insulin, cholesterol and HbA1c are all improved in patients with type 2 diabetes following Cr supplementation. It has also been shown that cinnamon polyphenols improve insulin sensitivity in in vitro, animal and human studies. Cinnamon reduces mean fasting serum glucose (18–29%), TAG (23–30%), total cholesterol (12–26%) and LDL-cholesterol (7–27%) in subjects with type 2 diabetes after 40 d of daily consumption of 1–6 g cinnamon. Subjects with the metabolic syndrome who consume an aqueous extract of cinnamon have been shown to have improved fasting blood glucose, systolic blood pressure, percentage body fat and increased lean body mass compared with the placebo group. Studies utilizing an aqueous extract of cinnamon, high in type A polyphenols, have also demonstrated improvements in fasting glucose, glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in women with insulin resistance associated with the polycystic ovary syndrome. For both supplemental Cr and cinnamon not all studies have reported beneficial effects and the responses are related to the duration of the study, form of Cr or cinnamon used and the extent of obesity and glucose intolerance of the subjects."

Interesting... (she says, eating toast with banana and cinnamon)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Re: Cinnamon

Postby dragonfly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:43 pm

yes I have heard about that before as well :)
alot of herbs and spices taste good but also have other health benefits too :)
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg

Postby Misstoodles » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks, that's pretty interesting stuff :) I think we could all do with greatly increased amounts of herbs and spices in our diets.

Postby jennywilliamson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 am

I'm not really a big fan of cinnamon, but I'll give this a shot anyway.

Postby äirly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:59 pm

I love spices. So good to liven up a boring meal. A year or so ago I went on that lemon detox program. Overall the program was pretty terrible, basically starvation, and definitely not recommended, however it did leave me with a consuming love of cayenne pepper. I just adore the stuff.

Anyway, back to cinnamon. :oops: thanks for linking the article, was an interesting read. The funny thing about cinnamon is it smells and seems almost sweet, although it doesnt have any actual sweetness to it (if you lick it off your hand, for instance).
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)

Return to Weight loss Talk