It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:19 am

Free Newsletter

Any suggestions for holidays??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Any suggestions for holidays??

Postby Tyger » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi guys :)

I'm going on a 2 week trip to Fiji starting next week... I have been making great headway with my weightloss, slowly but surely I've lost 3kg so far over about 4 weeks. I don't want to undo the great work I've done.

However I've been quite reliant on logging my calories online, and when I'm away obviously I won't be able to do that. Does anyone have suggestions for maintaining and even losing kg's while overseas? Should I still keep a food diary? Should I just not bother?

I'd be happy just to maintain, but I really don't want to gain anything while away... which will be hard when eating out a lot etc, which is inevitable on holidays. It'll also be Christmas and NY, which means alcohol (eep).

Any tricks of the trade appreciated!

~Tyger :mrgreen:
Tyger

Re: Any suggestions for holidays??

Postby miss_viva » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 pm

I got back from South America recently, and I actually lost about 2kgs while I was over there for 2 weeks. (Let's not talk about the fact that I put it back on though after bingeing on junk food while marking end of term reports... :roll: )

I didn't really set out to lose weight while I was over there, and I ate out almost every night because the food was so amazing and cheap! I think that can be attributed to a couple of reasons:

a) I was so excited about seeing a lot of new places that I thought about food less, and therefore didn't snack during the day.
b) We did a lot of walking around while exploring cities, ruins etc and also a lot of climbing up stairs.
c) A lot of what we did was based on organised tours, so we tended to really only eat three main meals a day.

I think the walking/climbing was the key - I could eat what I wanted to, and I just burned off the calories in the day. While we were there, I was interested in trying a lot of local/traditional foods, and they tended to be really healthy. Bonus!

My advice to you is just to go and have an awesome time, and enjoy everything in moderation :). Make healthy choices if they're available, but don't beat yourself up if you slip up a bit while away. Try and stay active, go for lots of walks and explore new places. You're going to Fiji, so you're probably going to do a lot of swimming/water activities, and these are a great way to burn calories.

Good luck and have a blast! I'm off to Japan just after Christmas, but fortunately most of the food there is pretty healthy. We'll see how I go this time :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby miss_viva » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:06 pm

2 months* Do'h.

To be honest, I actually put on about 5kgs before my trip and then lost a couple of those while I was over there. It was a step in the right direction, even if I hadn't gotten back down to my lowest weight. I'm still working on that at the moment :) 2kg in 2 months isn't so impressive, but so much better than gaining more!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Ditto what Miss Viva said.

If you concentrate on just enjoying your time there, getting out and seeing as much as you can (especially if you choose to do things that get you to be active while exploring, e.g. kayak or cycle or walking tours), you'll probably find you're doing much more activity than you would normally at home, and probably less likely to snack on things because you'll be otherwise occupied.

Yeah, you'll probably eat a few meals that will be a bit high on cals, but let's face it, do you really want to spend a holiday obsessing over whether this dish will be more or less cals than that one, and trying to get through the language barrier to see if they can do the fish grilled rather than fried? Not saying you should go crazy with the deep fried icecream, obviously be a bit sensible, but I think you're probably ok to just enjoy yourself.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Metalcharm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:18 pm

I'd suggest that if you can't control what the food is then watch the portion sizes .. and have a great time! :D

I'd reckon there should be miles of tropical fruits pretty easy to get to ? Try and grab some of them to fills gaps.

I'm taking my son to Disney land in January. *gulp*
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby dearne » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:12 am

Metalcharm wrote:I'm taking my son to Disney land in January. *gulp*

If you starve now you might be able to get one bit of food there! disneyland only really has fatty choices, so its about making the best of bad situation...

mind you its disneyland, I wouldnt be too worried! enjoy it
Dearne
dearne

Postby Tyger » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks for the great replies guys. And you all make excellent points. All the incidental walking and water-sports should mean I'm burning more than usual throughout the day. And there is no point in being a calorie nazi... I want to enjoy myself! I guess I'm in such a habit of monitoring my intake now, it's like a security blanket, having that online tool to track the exact number passing my lips.

I guess I'm a bit dubious, because I went to Hawaii last year, and put on a bit more weight. But Hawaii is America, and that is synonymous with huge servings, fatty foods... even the salads and veggies tastes almost like sugar! It was bizarre. So Fiji, in that respect, may be a bit different.

Metalcharm, Disney Land is wonderful! Pricey though of course, and the food is all Americanized. Let's hope we both get through these holidays unscathed!! :mrgreen:
Tyger

Return to Weight loss Talk