It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:06 am

Free Newsletter

preparing for a fun run

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

preparing for a fun run

Postby sizing_down » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Last night I set myself a new challenge. We have an 8km fun run in our town every year and next year I'm going to be in it. I haven't decided whether to try to run it or walk it pushing the pram. There is a very big hill climb about half way and either would be a big work out really and will require some work to get up to it. I used to run, years ago and I'd kind of like to go back to it but it's harder to get out and run on my own than put the kids in the pram. That said I could get people to watch them while I ran.
I figure I can start out walking anyway and see how I'm going in a few months. The jog isn't until September.
All that to say I've decided I need something concrete to work towards because I'm struggling atm with the theoretical goal.

Any advice from anyone who has put together a walking/running program? or has anyone used a program that worked well?
I did it about 10 years ago but all I remember was that I did interval training- walking with bursts of running and that I had rest days but I don't remember the details.
Oh and the dog used to hide from me when it was time to go so that she wouldn't have to come running :lol:

12 Week Challenge Goal 28th Febuary 2011 68.6kg

Starting weight: September '10 83kg

Re: preparing for a fun run

Postby ToGlow » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Great goal.

Do a google search tehre are lots of programmes for learning how to run your first 5ks. Do that first and slowly work towards building up to 8ks. You've got it right about interval running. My hubby is a runner and he's told me that's how I should be approaching it. :lol:

Return to Weight loss Talk