It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight Loss around tummy?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight Loss around tummy?

Postby Manachi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:55 am

Hi all,

I'm after some advice. I'm not very overweight, but I have a 'tummy' I'm focused on losing. I'm male 33yo, 167cm (5'7") and weigh 65kg (it might sound not overweight, but too much of that weight is in the tummy!). I recently did 4 weeks of Lite n' Easy at 1200 calories (padding it out with coffee through the day and 'eat-out' dinner every few days, because I felt 1200 was fairly low for me anyway), and about 2 weeks into that I started going to the gym. I've now finished the diet and have been going to the gym for about 4 weeks. At the gym I do 30 minutes cardio one day (averaging over 75% heart rate) then weights the next day (with about 10-15 minutes cardio at the end).

I have kept my eating portions relatively good I think, except dinner is often my weak point, where I often have seconds. (But I've stopped eating after dinner).

With the extra exercise I thought that would be enough to lose the extra few kg's around my tummy - but it's not quite happening! Is my gym routine enough to lose weight & maintain it? or do I need to be doing more? Initially I was doing 30 minutes > 75% heart rate, but then the gym instructor suggested doing 1 minute 'sprints' followed by 2 minute 'walk' and repeat that 5 times. He said it gets better results quicker (but it seems to me that its a lower overall heart rate average). And reading through the forums it seems that many people do around an hour a day at a lower 'intensity'. Which is better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's so hard to get these tummy kg's off!

Re: Weight Loss around tummy?

Postby brendan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi Manachi

There seems as though there is a different philosophy for each expert you ask.

I tend to think your gym routines were right, and the only thing I can think of is that the calorie intake might be too high, or the foods are not from the right groups. I gather that protein is essential and lots of green vegies and other fruit and veg, and low quantities of processed foods, sugars, carbohydrates (in the bread/pasta/pastry form) and small amounts of fat.

I'm certainly no expert, but examine the nutritional value of what you are eating, and the quantities - something is not adding up.

All the best

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic

Re: Weight Loss around tummy?

Postby jennywilliamson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 am

This is very, very true especially among male individuals. Somehow, accumulating belly fat or weight is very common in the male body structure.

The first thing you have to do is further cut down on your carbohydrate intake. If you are a sweet tooth, lessening your sugar intake would also help greatly. Increase your exercise levels. Maybe the structure of your body requires a lot more exercise than the typical.

I hope this helps!

Return to Weight loss Talk