It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:21 am

Free Newsletter

Acupuncture for weight loss?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Acupuncture for weight loss?

Postby pandamama » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Has anyone tried using Traditional Chinese Medicine for weight loss? I started thinking about it after I read this article. I'd really appreciate knowing if someone has tried acupuncture or dietotheraphy and gotten good results.

Re: Acupuncture for weight loss?

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:17 pm

There's no suggestion in the article that acupuncture and related therapies are a standalone treatment for obesity. The article clearly states that the use of Traditional Chinese Medicine is for "balancing" [energies and health]. The clinic treatment is based on the proven Western techniques of educating the person to live and eat healthily.

"No matter how exotic all that sounds, at the core of every weight-loss scheme still lies the all-important balance between the amount of calories consumed and burned, Dr. Li says."

"...our goal is to help patients adopt healthy living and eating habits".

In my opinion, if a person applies the excellent basic principles stated by Dr Li in the article about adopting healthy living and eating habits then the other, culturally mandated treatments such as acupuncture are superfluous.

In fact, I suspect exotic treatments would serve to distract a person from fully confronting and treating his or her underlying behavioural and emotional problems that caused their obesity and general poor health in the first place. And remember, a person can have the most wonderfully balanced mental outlook, be happy and feel great, have no emotional issues - but if they eat too much crap they'll still get fat.

Re: Acupuncture for weight loss?

Postby NRGman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Acupuncture has recently been found to be of no use i believe
SW: 170.1kg
CW: 149.2
GW: 100-110kg
Height: 6foot7

Return to Weight loss Talk