It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:58 pm

Free Newsletter

I had a fight with the scales today

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I had a fight with the scales today

Postby SkinnyBride2B » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi guys,

Is it really not good to weigh yourself more than once a week?

I go to the gym 5 days per week and try as i may - i just cant help standing on those scales.

Friday night it was 92.9kg and Sunday night 93.3kg - WTF

I know i havent put any weight on - ive been doing this eating/exercising thing down to a T... but why???

Best time to weigh yourself?
SkinnyBride2B

Re: I had a fight with the scales today

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Actually, SkinnyBride2B, you DID put on weight. Precisely 0.4 Kg according to the scales.

This is why so many people advocate infrequent weighing.

Your weight will go up and down daily due to water retention and food bulk in your bowels. Scales will also vary due to environmental factors.

You can count on your weight varying over the course of a few days by as much as a kilogram or two. If your scales are reasonably accurate, then:

Yes, you probably DID put on weight!
But
You still lost fat.
The lost fat is hidden by the other sources of weight variance.

The weight of the fat you lose over a week can be easily hidden up by other sources of temporary weight gain, such as water retention and scale inaccuracies.

So don't worry, it's nothing strange. Just think of there being two types of weight: "fat weight" and "other weight".
CronicBadger

Postby SkinnyBride2B » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:20 am

After speaking with my fiance - i decided to weigh in Monday mornings (apparently the most accurate time of day).

Todays weight - 92.3kg

Happy with that!

Until Monday 31st Jan - keep truckin
SkinnyBride2B

Postby 2ndTimeBecky » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Yeap, you would definitely fluctuate throughout the week - my Wii weighs me every time I go on there and I practically ignore the reading.... I drink a lot of water and can often have 750mL in the hour or so before going on, so this will definitely change the resulting weight.... Like you have done, I do an "official" weigh on once a week - for me first thing Sat morning, on the same scales in the same location, and this is the weigh in I use as the official one for the week.

Good Luck!!! :-D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgDr74s/]
2ndTimeBecky

Return to Weight loss Talk