It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:08 am

Free Newsletter

How do you fight cravings??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you fight cravings??

Postby jessmeow » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with bad foods at the moment. Namely chocolate and pretzels. I can't seem to stop myself making trips to the supermarket to buy some every few days! I keep telling myself it's a one time treat and I won't do it again but I keep wanting too. I don't have this stuff around the house so it isn't that simple, I actually make trips to buy it.

It's really getting me down because I'm trying so hard to loose weight (quickish due to a wedding in june) and it's like I'm sabotaging myself! I still go to the gym every day and work hard and everything else I eat is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Have you had this problem because it's driving me NUTS! XS

Thanks
jessmeow

Re: How do you fight cravings??

Postby ganymede » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Chocolate is always going to be a problem, it's a weakness! But I find the longer I go without it, the less I miss it. To fight cravings, maybe try having a 99% fat free hot chocolate instead. They still have some sugar in them but are no where near as bad as chocolate. For the savoury cravings, go for rice cakes with philli or salsa or carrot sticks. I also find a fizzy drink such as sparkling mineral water gets me through times when I'm a bit peckish but no it isn't time to eat yet. Try it with some lemon juice and ice, very refreshing! :D I also try to focus on how bad I feel after I've eaten something bad, try to remember that feeling and know that you don't want to feel like that again. Good luck! :D
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby newyork » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:08 am

Hi jessmeow,

I agree with the above comment about hot chocolate etc. Always goood to have some alternatives that arent as bad as the food you are craving. Another thought, is that the wedding date is the problem. I find when I set a certain time frame to lose weight, it actually works in reverse, and I always sabotage my plans. I know for some people, having the goal date and everything works, but maybe not for you. I have a wedding in July for which I am bridesmaid, and need to lose a dress size. So instead of thinking of that date, I'm looking at a year long plan, and am looking at a certain weight I would like to be by December. It makes it less stressful by looking at the bigger picture, than a smaller one. Good luck!
newyork

Postby SkinnyBride2B » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:12 pm

Heres a few tactics i implement to fight cravings;

1. Skull some water - it usually gives you that full feeling
2. Brush your teeth - no one likes eating anything straight after that
3. Have a nap - you cant eat while your asleep
4. Go for a walk - raising your heart rate keeps hunger at bay for me (the only thing you crave is water).
5. Look at the fattest photo of yourself and ask 'do i really want it'
and the answer - s*#t no!

Just a thought
SkinnyBride2B

Postby cailea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 pm

hi.......ahhhh cravings!!!!!!

At the moment, 3 weeks with no chocolate, I don't miss it much....so the longer you hold out, sometimes the easier it gets. I tend to have a drink instead when I feel the urge to head to the cupboard :)

In the desperate moments in the past, I went with Weightwatchers cakes (brownie slice, bakewell tart etc, only 85-126cal a piece), or skinny cow ice cream (about 110cal). It fends it off!

cailea :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNmRWop/]
[/url]
cailea

Postby jessmeow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for the advice!

newyork, I think you could be right about the looming date causing me to self sabotage. Instead of using a year long plan like you I've decided to try a week-to-week plan and make note of how much I'm losing (including the grms not just the kilos) to see how that goes.

At the moment I'm fully committed to staying on the bandwagon! Hopefully that lasts! XD

Thanks for the tips!
jessmeow

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Another option is dark chocolate. It's much richer than milk chocolate and not as more-ish. I can usually have a small piece and be completely satisfied, whereas with other types of chocolate I'd need the whole block! (Note: in the case of peppermint crisp dark chocolate all bets are off. Nom nom nom.)
EvilWombatQueen

Postby jessmeow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 pm

lol I know what you mean about peppermint crisp! Evil! :P

You're right about dark chocolate. I used to have some every night (lindt 85% cocoa, yumos) but I decided to stop having it because it has a lot of fat. Although when I think about it, I didn't have any problem with cravings when I was having that before. Maybe I should get some to have every now and again to reduce the risk of a blow out!

Thanks! :)
jessmeow

Postby Fireball » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:49 am

The dark chocolate works for me. The issue about fat really depends on quantity. Having a small piece that satisfies you must be better than fighting a losing battle with cravings. Dark chocolate is attributed with other positive health benfits too.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby ganymede » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 am

Weight Watcher's hot choccy is a life saver. Have it with water or with a small amount of skim as well, it's great for the chocolate cravings. There is also Jarra hot choccy which is a little richer and creamier but has a little more sugar (I think WW has like 4g sugar and Jarra has about 6g). The WW ice creams, cakes etc. are okay fat wise but still usually high in sugar so be careful of that if you don't intend on using that energy throughout the day otherwise it will turn straight into fat. I find also, listening to some motivating music while fighting the cravings with something healthy can help you realise why you're doing this and how well you have done so far.

OH, also I heard from a friend that if you like capsicum eating it raw is very good for taming hunger, as well as banana. Hope this helps! :)
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby 2ndTimeBecky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:26 pm

I agree with the dark chocolate.... I have some koko black choccy in the cupboard which gives you roughly 1" squares - and because of the high coccoa (75%) you actually cant eat more than one square - it is my reward if I have gone to the gym that day - or to fight an extreme craving :-)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgDr74s/]
2ndTimeBecky

Postby jessmeow » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:54 pm

I see what you guys are saying about the hot choc but it is seriously boiling here right now! Even in winter I'm not really a hot drink drinker so that's a bummer..

I agree that some of WW treats are a little high in sugar. Those brownies are seriously yumo. I don't think I could only have one!! lol
I think the dark choc would be the best bet cos it seemed to work before. I'll just have to work it into my calories for the day.

Thanks guys! It's nice knowing I'm not the only one as well :P
jessmeow

Return to Weight loss Talk