It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:11 am

Free Newsletter

How to up the anti on weight loss

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How to up the anti on weight loss

Postby jessmeow » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 pm

So I'm trying to up my weight loss a little over the next few months for an upcoming occassion and I need some advice.
At the moment I'm eating around 1000 calories per day (some days more, some less) and that's working well. I've been doing that for several weeks and I don't ever get hungry.

Normally I do 1hr exercise at the gym each morning with every second day being cardio and then cardio/weights. So far I'm losing around 1kg per week which is of course, great! But I would like to up that a little to 1.3 or preferably 1.5 per week. Now I realise some of you might suggest upping the anti is going to become unsustainable but it isn't about sustainability, it's just temporary so I can get into double digits by june. After than I have every intention of going back to a 'normal' sustainable program.

This week I've added 1 or 2 extra 20 min workouts at home using a dvd called 'Walk Your Way' and another 20-30 mins again using a Biggest Loser DVD. All up in the last few days I've been burning almost all the calories I'm eating which I would assume would result in more weight loss but it hasn't.

Now I know it's only been a couple of days and I should probably try it a little longer before seeking advice but I'm on a really tight deadline and I don't want to waste a week with no loss. So should I be losing more by what I'm doing?? I've been trying to research online but everything I've found seems to be directed more towards people with only a small amount of weight to loose unlike myself.

Any advice would be great. Thanks :D

Re: How to up the anti on weight loss

Postby cailea » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Hiya Jess,

Sorry but I have no useful advice :( like you I eat about 1000 calories of healthy, filling food and live an active life. Still I only lose about 1kg a week too.

I thought it might be as I have lost a lot but......I still have a lot to go.

Someone did suggest that once a week you should shock your body by feeding it more - say 2000 so that when you go back to your normal plan it moves things along. The theory being that your body gets used to a low calorie diet and hangs onto the fat. I haven't tried it yet! Little scared to eat all the bad foods now and there is no way I could eat 2000 a day on healthy food.

Will keep checking in to see if someone has some advice :)

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 am

If you want to lose more per week I'd recommend eating more. 1200 calories is usually the lowest you should go for your daily net calorie consumption, and even then it depends on your height and weight. If you're consuming only 1000 calories and burning a great deal of them with exercise then it's possible you've entered starvation mode. This slows your weight loss significantly and means you're losing as much muscle as fat.

Have you gone to a site like to see what your recommended calories are for the amount of exercise you do? Your recommended total calories should take into account the calories burnt during exercise. So if your recommended calories for weight loss is 1200 calories and your exercise burns 300 calories then you should be eating 1500 calories per day. Chances are you should be eating way more than you currently do.

Postby jessmeow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi guys!

Thanks for the tips..

Cailea - That's kind of a bummer that you aren't losing any more either although that could be related to you being so close to your goal aswell? Awesome work btw! 51.7 down! Wow! :D

I've heard about the shock thing before as well but I'm to chicken to try it out. My luck I'd end up putting on weight lol and I agree finding 2000 calories of healthly food would be hard! Do let me know if you find any secret tips in the future :P

Evil Wombat Queen - I definitely see what you mean about eating more and I've heard it before but logically it doesn't make sense to do that. It makes no sense to me to eat extra calories that you burn off in exercise aswell - wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Yes I have been on calorieking for my suggested intake however I found it was not working for me (this was a few months ago) so I went back to a lower calorie diet.

I think I might see how I go doing what I'm doing for a week and if it's not working I'll try upping my calories to around 1200 as you suggest. Thanks :D

Btw, I was watching the Biggest Loser last night and it dawned on me that this is pretty much what they do. They eat approx 1200 calories per day and exercise for 5 hours (over the day, not in one go). So really what I'm doing is kind of the same thing, except I'm eating less calories and definitely not working out a total of 5 hours! So it should work.. hmm

I will post with my results of my tuesday weigh-in! Hopefully it's all positive and awesomesauce!

Thanks again guys :D

- jessmeow

Postby fatloss101 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 pm

I would eat a bit more. On a low calorie diet - you could be getting your metabolism in a rut and quite possibly be hitting a plateau. To spike up your metabolism - eat more but eat more of the right foods.

You say you are losing weight - - but make sure that you are not losing too much lean body mass which could be the case on a low calorie diet. You could add whey protein to the mix during the day which would help your metabolism.

I would also say that you should be patient. You should be proud that you are taking action but again you don't want to be cutting too many calories.

Re exercise - cardio is good but are you doing any high intensity cardio because doing only slow intensity is not efficient for fat loss. You could shorten your exercise time an still up the ante in in terms of fat burning by increasing the intensity of the exercises. Basically, I am talking about adding interval training to the mix

Postby jessmeow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi fatloss, thanks for the tips. Yeah I do high intensity workouts for the whole time. I kick my own butt lol. I did try doing interval training a while back and I found I not only ran out of energy much quicker but I wasn't burning as many calories or losing as much so I went back to high intensity. I will have a look into some protein powder.

Postby kristylee0802 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 pm

There is definitely a point in eating more calories of the right foods, as some one previously said. I know it doesn't make sense to eat more but it is true, when you're not eating enough your body goes into starvation mode and it starts burning muscles mass rather than fat and your body stores more fat because it thinks it is going to be without food :) so as someone said, try eating 1200 a day

good luck x

Return to Weight loss Talk