It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:27 am

Free Newsletter

Best exercises to do at home

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Best exercises to do at home

Postby ennoh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:53 pm

I need to lose 10kg which is sitting on my torso. Im otherwise a fit 53 year old and I think my own metabolism is slowing down as I used to be able to eat anything and not put on weight - in fact until I had my 3rd child I was underweight.

With my height and frame, I should have a size 10 waist - and I aspire to that.

My fat waist is depressing me so I was wondering:
1. Does anyone have any recommendation on vitamin supplements to quicken my metabolism? I think that Swisse market something but haven't heard any reviews.

2. I want to do some aerobic exercises at home. Its much cheaper than going to a gym! Can anyone recommend a particular DVD to use?
ennoh

Re: Best exercises to do at home

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm not sure about videos but I follow some that are on tv. I'm not sure about free-to-air but on PayTV, if that's an option for you, there are a couple of shows on Lifestyle You and the Healthh channel. Might be able to get a friend to tape some?

how about walking? :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:12 pm

As far as I can tell most weight-loss supplements do nothing. You're better off saving your money.

As to aerobic exercises at home - what do you enjoy doing? You can get dance DVDs from ballet to Bollywood dancing. You can get Walk Away The Pounds DVDs if you like walking. If you're feeling risque there's the Fit To Strip DVDs. There are bootcamp DVDs, Tae Bo DVDs... the list is endless. The important thing is to find something you enjoy doing because DVDs don't help you lose weight if they're left sitting on the bookshelf (my bookshelf can attest to that!)

You can even buy a cheap aerobics step or make one by taping together a few old phone books. Just put your favourite workout music on and step step step!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby jessmeow » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Theres plenty of stuff you can do at home! If you need to start slowly I recommend Leslie Sansone's (sp?) 'Walk Your Way'. It's a dvd that used to come with Jenny Craig but I'm pretty sure her dvds are at target and such. Also the aussie Biggest Loser dvds are awesome! I got the 3 dvd set and so far I've only used the Cardio Blast and it's really awesome aerobic type workouts! I can't even do they whole thing yet lol It's a great workout, they also have toning ones and a bootcamp one which I've heard is crazy!

Also if you're a member of your local library go and borrow some magazines such as women's health or weight watches; they have great articles for strength exercises to do at home. Some using hand weights (which you can get again at big w, target etc) or other things such as squats, lunges and the like. Actually, speaking of libraries they might even have some exercise dvds you could borrow as well.

Good luck! :D
jessmeow

Postby ennoh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Great post Jess! Coincidentally I stumbled across the Leslie Sansone site last night - and it looked doable so I will probably buy one or two of them.
I will check out the Biggest Loser ones - I dont want books - just something to stick in the dvd player and copy. Have you actually tried any dvds and do you find they work if you stick to them and do them regularly?
ennoh

Postby daveyace » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:49 am

i like doing lots of sit ups and press ups and things like that, also i love jump squats to really get the blood pumping
daveyace

Postby jessmeow » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 am

Yep, like I said I've tried the Biggest Loser dvd called Cardio Blast. It's really easy, just pop it in and copy what they do. I was using it every day (trying to do a little more each time lol) but I've been sick recently so haven't for a week or so but it is actually enjoyable. Shannan and Michelle are kind of silly lol and they show you less intense versions of the routines to try as well if it's to much.

If you get it just don't be put off by the intensity. I've been going to the gym for around 6 months now and I think if I had of bought the dvd before that I would've thought it was to hard for me but really you just do what you can! Which is exactly what they say on dvd, if you don't finish the whole workout that's fine, just try to do a few minutes longer each time.

Leslie's are great too except she's kind of annoying lol She doesn't shut up! I usually put music on to drown her out :lol:
jessmeow

Postby Marina_J » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:44 pm

If you have a staircase in your home, you can get a great workout by simply climbing the stairs. Dancing is a great way to burn off pounds, and it also great fun. Push ups, crunches, squat thrusts and lunges are examples of the best and easiest exercises to do at home. Vitamins and minerals can help speed up your metabolism naturally when taken regularly. Orange and Chromium increase your metabolic rate and help to regulate your glucose levels. The best supplements that I have found to help naturally speed up your metabolism is eating every two and a half to three hours. Eating every three hours is the best way to jump starts any metabolism.
Marina_J

Return to Weight loss Talk