It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Free Newsletter

CARBS ; to be or not to be..???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

CARBS ; to be or not to be..???

Postby SparrowBaby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi there,

I just wanted to see what everyones thoughts, ideas, views and journey so far tell about carbs --

I've been told by so many people to avoid them at all humanly costs!!

I did have success with this, but have since put on practically all my weight I originally lost!
(Thanks to lots of indulging in a 5 week overseas trip!)

So, to be or not to be?

:)
SparrowBaby

Re: CARBS ; to be or not to be..???

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Carbs, well, from what I've read about the subject, they are everywhere and a person is going to have to eat them to keep a nutritionally balanced diet.

Complex carbohydrates (wholegrains, some vegetables) take a relatively long time for food energy to be released, so keep a person feeling full for a longer period. That's why we are told that for breakfast eat wholegrain cereals with as little processed material as possible.

Simple carbohydrates are often found processed foods, like white bread. Easy to digest and generally have a high Glycemic Index. Not recommended, especially for weight-losers.

I modified my carbohydrate intake by replacing much of the simple carbs with complex carbs, fibre and protein. I rarely eat bread. I make a muesli for breakfast out of rolled oats, quinoa, bran, psyllium and carob. I have a lot more control over what I eat by buying natural products and preparing them myself.

I used to think nothing of eating around 12 slices of bread a day. Now I have none and wonder why I ever though I needed to eat so much of it in the first place.
CronicBadger

Postby Sanov22 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 am

IMO no/low carb diets are a gimmick

I think the emphasis should be healthier carbs and in most people's cases less carbs, but definitely not avoiding them alltogether, especially if you're exercising.

That's looking at it purely in a food = fuel sense though. Avoiding eating really bad foods is more important than eating the 'perfect' diet. I think it's better to eat something moderately healthy like rice or potates with your food and feel happy/satisfied than to force yourself to eat just protein and salad/veggies and still be feeling like you want something bready...

Both of the no/low carb diets I've tried were amongst the least successful of my weight loss attempts (right up there wth the lemon detox diet lol). You have to keep in mind you're trying to make a permanent change - can you see yourself going without bread/rice/pasta/etc forever?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby äirly » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:22 pm

hehehe Sanov I fell for the lemon detox thing too :roll: I'm glad i wasn't the only one!! :oops: :oops: Definitely not my brightest moment!

Regarding the original post, I have tried very low/no carb before and I didnt have a lot of success. I got really headachey and miserable. That said, I am kinda trying it out again now, but in a reduced carb and more protein (which I struggle with sometimes) and healthier fats.

I think the aitkens/low carb is a little bit gimmicky. I'm sorry, but any diet thing that suggests cutting out entire food groups is not health, its a fad. That said, our western culture does produce diets way in excess in the amount of carbs, especially sugar, that we should be eating. Ultimately, Aitkens, and severely reduced carb diets (by which I mean 50g or less per day, or therabouts) may not be the epitome of health, but they are probably still a lot healthier than what a lot of the population is consuming.

Personally I'm trying to concentrate on reducing 'bad' carbs (by which I basically mean white bread and excessive amounts of sugar) and increase protein and healthy fats. For weightloss though, I think you have to look at the overall amount you're eating - by which I mean CALORIE intake. I know when I focus too much on the little things, like carbs vs protein/fats, eating late v eating early, grazing v eating a solid 3 meals and so on... and I get so bogged down in the details i can stop seeing the big picture. :wink:
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Postby ClarissaM » Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 am

Isn't sugar the worst carbohydrates of them all in regards to weight gain? I've cut out a lot of sugary drinks and definitely sugary foods. Most of the sugar I get now come from the fresh fruits that I eat. I also try to avoid chips, crackers and common pastas. There are some multi-grain and wheat pastas that are much better than the other pastas.
Last edited by CronicBadger on Sun May 15, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted commercial advertisement in sig.
ClarissaM

Postby Slimming to multiply » Mon May 16, 2011 9:59 pm

I have had alot of success with low carb diets in the past (up to 28kgs) but when it comes to maintaining that weightloss I've found it impossible. I always end up sooooo tired and unable to exercise and then I eat chocolate for energy and the whole terrible cycle starts all over again!

This time around I was having the low carb debate with myself and I figured that if I wanted to eat healthy for life then I needed to do something I could do forever and keep up in any situation I was in.....therefore I figured that for me the low carb diet was not a long term thing.

And I have to admit although I haven't lost huge numbers as yet I definitely have ALOT more energy and motivation to exercise and I don't feel that cranky irritable feeling by the end of the day where I'm going to rip my husbands head off for no particular reason.... and I know he is happy about that too! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjJakJc/]

First mini goal is to reach 110kgs - achieved November 2011
Second mini Goal is to reach 105kgs -
Slimming to multiply

Postby Patientperson » Tue May 17, 2011 1:17 am

Carbs are fine as long as you do not overdo it (as in consuming 300 grams of sugar per day through sodas and candy).

Moreover, if you lower the carbs good chance is that you will also lower fiber and certain micro-nutrients as well, which is not good and will make you feel exhausted.

Finally, and more importantly, low carbs diets lead to ketosis (wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis) which is just bad and makes your breath smell like.. something that smells bad :P
Don't give up!
Patientperson

Return to Weight loss Talk