It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:57 am

Free Newsletter

how much water per kilo of bodweight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

how much water per kilo of bodweight?

Postby lindtcrazy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:51 pm

I'll try this post in here, it's getting nowhere in the diet talk area.

How much can a person safely drink before it interferes with your natural electrolytes and can wreak havoc with nutients in your bloodstream.
Water can be dangerous if you over indulge.

thankyou
lindtcrazy

Re: how much water per kilo of bodweight?

Postby äirly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:41 am

Love the handle, lindtcrazy! I too love those little balls of chocolate goodness :P

Unfortunately not really sure on an answer to yuor question. I've heard 2 litres as the given amount to drink over a given day depending on exercise levels. I think you would need to drink a fair bit more to do some damage?

A google search would probably give you a rough figure anyway. Are you asking for your own benefit, or just interested to know?
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:14 pm

I don't think it's about body weight so much as how healthy your kidneys are and how quickly you drink the water.

Found these:
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html
http://www.nutritional-supplement-educa ... water.html
http://www.totallydrinkable.com/drink-t ... water.html

The first one says the kidneys of a healthy adult can happily process up to 15l per day. The last one says a fatal water dose would be 40l in 24hrs. Most of them agree if you are guided by your thirst levels and wee colour (rather than an aim to drink as much water as you can for whatever reason) you should be fine.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:39 pm

People get a great deal of the water they need from food, so there is no exact quantity of water you should drink per day since it largely depends on other factors in your diet. If you drink when you're thirsty and make sure your urine is quite clear then you should be fine. Some people advocate drinking a glass of water when you feel hungry too, not to fill you up (water may fill your stomach but it won't cause the release of the 'satiated' chemicals the brain needs to feel full), instead it is useful in case your body has its hungry and thirsty signals mixed up.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby lindtcrazy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Thankyou, Its just a lady died from drinking to much water over some radio contest. It can interfere with nutrient and salt in the bloodstream. This is called something medical and or water intoxication.
I read a nutrition post on here somewhere, can't remember where, and they said drink loads of water and this got me thinking. I want to use water to stave off hunger and already consider that I drink alot of fluids each day. Do duiretics count as water?

Thanks for the links and advice, much helpful. :D
lindtcrazy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

I completely agree that drinking too much water is dangerous, which is why using your thirst to guide you is the safest option.

I've found a link at the Dietitians Association of Australia that talks about this subject. http://www.daa.asn.au/index.asp?PageID=2145859278

They suggest that all drinks count towards your fluid intake, though they recommend water as the healthiest option. Contrary to my earlier advice they also have a rough guide of how much fluid intake to aim for per day.

There are many theories about the right amount to drink, but the following is a good guide to aim for:
1,500 - 2,000mL/day (or 35-45mL/kg/day) for adults, and
1,000 - 1,500mL/day for children

What is the best drink?
While all fluids can count towards your daily fluid intake, the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating recommends water as the best drink. It contains no kilojoules and is the best fluid for hydrating the body.
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk