It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:31 am

Free Newsletter

Falling off the wagon (rant warning)

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Falling off the wagon (rant warning)

Postby Puffer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi everyone, (warning: this is just a bit of a random rant from someone sucks at loosing weight)

I am on here instead of studying for my exams - any excuse not to study I guess :roll:

I was wondering if anyone had any stories to share about falling off the wagon and how to get back on, and what silly excuses you use to justify eating that third rasberry freddo frog.

I am so dissalusioned at how long weight loss is taking despite going to the gym heaps and counting kilojoules that I have all but given up. I love going to the gym but until my exams finish next tuesday I don't have time and I am finding myself making excuses for not sticking to my diet. Mostly right now the excuse it is just that I have exams, although last weekend it was going to a friends 21st and if I was getting all those kilojoules from drinking I might as well have potato bake and chocolate mudcake too right?

It is 10x harder to stick to anything right now because I am home all day studying, bored and walking to the kitchen cupboard every 5 minutes. My next best excuse other than exams is maybe a week or two of not dieting (still counting kilojoules but going to 7000kj every day instead of 5000) will stop my body from going into starvation mode (which it must be in because Im not loosing any bloody weight!!)

I am also doing the 'I'll get back to it next week (after exams)' excuse. Hopefully given I won't be under such stress and won't be home all day I really will.

Postby Groovychic » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:23 pm

Well we have all been there and done that. I do it pretty much every week. Taking a break is probably not a bad idea but be sensible about it. Dont go running down to Maccas or KFC and have a good pig out!!! But allow yourself to drink if going out, to eat what other people are eating at a party, but only have a small portion. Take all the crap out of your house so you wont be tempted whilst you are studying and go cut up a carrot or apple into small pieces and munch on that! I've baked a slice and 2 cakes today. 3/4 of the slice and 1 of the cakes is for the sports day tomorrow for a fundraiser at school and the other cake and left over slice is sitting there taunting me! I dont feel overly hungry. I just ate an hour ago a small roll with egg and lettuce in it so I shouldnt be all that hungry. I know I will end up having a piece of the cake and my excuse will be I have to taste test it seen as I am sending it to the school. and I will say to myself at least it is homemade so doesnt have the bad fats in it!!! Yada yada yada! Been there and done that many of a time. Why do you think I have only lost 1.5kg since deciding in January that i better pull my finger out and lose some weight!!! I really thought that by christmas I would have well and truly lost my weight but hey I'll be lucky if I am a few kilos lighter than I am at the moment. Now if something came and sucked the fat off my tummy overnight then I would be about 5 kilos less!!! But I dont think I could endure looks scary! So my suggestion to you is to take a break whilst your exams is on and stop counting the calories. I'm not sure how long you have been counting calories/kilojoules but you surely have some idea of how much you can eat in a day. Now that it is warming up try having a chopped up tossed salad with a small amount of cheese in it. Add some lite pressed chicken or ham to bulk it up a bit for you. Just an idea anyway. Good luck and dont get too depressed about it.

Keep Smiling!!!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:49 pm

I agree, forget counting the kj's! that method obviously isnt helping you lose the weight you want to lose. you need to mix things up a bit and try something new. you have enough on your mind with exams without having to count! cut up some fruit, and vegies and salsa and have them there whilst you study. dont feel bad about eating what everyone else does on occasions, just know your portion sizes and enjoy it. like i said, mix things up a bit so that your body doesnt get used to what you are doing. go for a walk if you dont have time for the gym or use some exercise dvds so that you dont have to pack up and go somewhere to exercise. keep your chin up and take car eof yourself and your health!! hugs!!

Postby Puffer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Hehe Groovychick your excuse made me laugh because it is exactly the excuse I would use. Thank god I don't have to bake things for other people because there is no way I wouldn't eat half of the mixture before it even got to the oven!

Kate I do know quite well how much I can eat in a day and the rough content of each food without counting it but I feel like my calorie counting is keeping me accountable and it really makes me think about whether certain foods are worth eating. I am a bit obsessive with it I guess I feel like it is the only way to stop myself from going crazy with food (by adding up all those little snacks etc.)

I've never had veges with salsa before... I don't have enough fruit to snack on in the house though and I am dying for a banana! Maybe tomorrow morning I will go out and buy tonnes of fruit and make it my mission to eat only fruit and veges for snacks in between meals while studying.

Thanks for your replies :) I thought 'bugger it' after I wrote that post and went and spent 50 minutes on the cross trainer at the gym and I feel soooo much better for having gotten out of the house and done some exercise!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:51 pm

what ever works for you mate. you need to do what you think you need to do in order to be fit and healthy :) good on you for cross training!!! yay!!! i bet you felt those endorphins!!

Postby KimE » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:32 pm

Hi Christina good one for getting to the gym after all that. I loove the cross trainer, my fave machine!

What's the quality of your food like? How high is your fat intake? What I'm getting at here is you may have set yourself a certain amount of kj's you work with but if they are made up of lower quality nutrition it may be another reason you are getting stuck. Just a thought.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Ally » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:56 am

You beat me to it Kim!!! Pretty much all bases have been covered there Christina, but I just wanted to add a couple.

I know this might sound silly, but (I know how busy you are) do you have time to cook some healthy bulk meals to throw in the freezer?? Do you have someone that may be able to do it for you? (I regularly cook for my friend who is at uni). This will be a big time saver for you if you know that you just have to defrost and reheat. Keep frozen veg on hand for a quick vege fix. Keep some frozen dinners as well (make sure they are the diet ones though). I agree with need to get rid of all the crap food in the house to avoid temptation when you are studying all the time and at your lowest point as far as food is concerned. Keep some raisins in the cupboard so when you need something sweet they are right there for you. (Just don't eat too many). There is nothing wrong with having the occasional choccie bar, just make sure you only have one in the house at a time so that you can't just reach for 2 and 3 and so on.
As for the party thing, mate you always have 2 choices when it comes to a party.,.You can choose to be really good and monitor everything or you can use it as a "time out" and have a good time. Please don't beat yourself up about it as you had a good time. The important thing about it is the next day you just get right back into it.

Don't stop counting the kj's if you know it works for you, but I agree you need to up them a bit as as you lose weight you will need to drop the amount of kj intake and if you are already on 5000kj, it doesn't leave you much to drop off your daily limits. I would suggest that while you are so busy with your exams etc, that you try just writing everything down to save you the strain of trying to count everything. You will get through this mate, you will!

I have seen first hand the stress that uni and exams cause. My friend has gained 10kgs in her first year. She was just eating crap food all the time as she didnt have time and that in turn made her feel worse and the food she was eating was just that...crap. Now she takes on morning out of her schedule and cooks some meals in advance (quiche and spag bog) that kind of thing to pop in the freezer.

Mate don't give up, the important thing that we need to remember is not to let our diets run our lives. It is not meant to be a prison term. We need to learn how to incorporate everyday living in with it, so we can learn how to handle different situations. That is where the problems come in as we are so strict on ourselves that one day our resolve just crumbles one day and then there is a massive "free for all". (personal experience on that one, but that is another chapter!!). Just take it easy, get through your exams and then refocus your goals.

Here ends my epic

Postby Fairie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:40 am

I know what it feels like Puffer, It is so hard to get back on the wagon and I think I used every excuse there is over the last few months. I think I had selective memory loss as I never remembered eating half of what I was. :oops:

All I can say is hang in there it will come together again.

Postby Mandie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:46 am

Hey Christina,

I'm struggling at the moment too under exam stress - feel locked in my house all day, stuck studying, and then I crave CHOCOLATE!

But - you know what the BEST thing is? Going to the gym!

I got up early and went to the gym today and now I have heaps of energy and I'm amped for my day studying.

Also, when I work out my "study timetable" (yes, I'm a big nerd) I always used to factor in 15 minute breaks every 1.5 hours where I would eat chocolate/lollies/cake to keep me going.

Now, I've decided to have two snacks a day (morning and afternoon), an apple in the morning and a Bulla mini split in the afternoon. The other breaks, I'm going to jog on the spot/do sit ups/do some stretches.. it's amazing how this gives you MORE energy than the chocolate!

So give it a go.. maybe worry less about the diet and concentrate on exercise to keep you fit and healthy, with energy to study, and increased levels of concentration and motivation, and you'll feel great!

Postby slimmindown » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:52 am

That sounds like a good plan Mandie .Well done on keeping motivated during the very stressfull time of exams....... :D
[no excuses, I can do it!

Postby louise » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:03 am

i'm in a similar boat with finishing off uni assignments and studying for exams. i haven't been to the gym hardly at all in the past couple weeks and my weightloss has plateaued, i'm still eating really healthy though. i only eat fresh veg, fruit and occasionally seeds and nuts. if i eat other stuff i feel fatigued or yucky.
i'd probably say try to limit the 'damage' until your exams are over with and then get back to it, when you have time. you don't need to be stressing about losing weight during the exam period! fruits and vegies are the go!

Postby Livy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:10 am

Hey Girl,
I have been trying to lose 30kgs for about a year. I lose 2-4kgs, then yep, I'm back on the raspberry frogs too!

I just read the 1000 reasons to lose weight, by Dolly, and also check out my "Letter to my fat", they are down in the lower sections of this forum. They are quite motivational.

Return to Weight loss Talk