It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:48 am

Free Newsletter

Hi! new to the forum

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi! new to the forum

Postby gooberboggle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi, my name's Bec and I just joined up :)

I'm 20 years old and I have had weight issues my whole life. I'm currently around 120kg and I am around 5"10.

I would like to get down to be about 90 kilos. I'm not interested in being a skinny minny, I'm a big girl with a big frame and I can have
quite a bit of weight on me.. I don't believe all this BMI crap!

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any other vegans or vegetarians on here?
I've been vegan for almost a year now, I turned vegan for a few reasons, health being one of them.

I would love to chat to any others in a similar situation to me :)
gooberboggle

Re: Hi! new to the forum

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:05 am

Welcome to the forum, Bec!

I've been following a vegan diet for over 15 years now and I'm happy to chat with you about it. How are you going with veganism so far? Are there any foods you miss? Are you looking for recipes?

I bought a diet book specifically for vegans a few years ago, the McDougall Program, but it was rubbish (at least for me). I ended up gaining weight on it! Although there is a perception that veganism must go hand-in-hand with weight loss I actually think it's harder for many vegans to lose weight because we're limited with our protein sources. Sadly I'm living proof that you can be vegan and still gain weight!

Looking forward to chatting with you here!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Re: Hi! new to the forum

Postby gooberboggle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 am

Hey, thanks for the reply ^.^

Everything has gone ok so far, I'm not really missing any certain foods.. occasionally I do miss things like cheese and certain chocolates.. but I guess when I think about where the ingredients come from it puts me off pretty much straight away.

Since turning vegan I haven't really lost any weight but I haven't gained any either, which is good. What I eat day to day is pretty healthy, I eat a lot of vegetables, lentils, chickpeas, baked beans, whole wheat pasta & bread, tofu, etc. I try to stay away from highly processed foods.
I don't really think I really have any big issues with protein.. I probably get more protein than I did when I was an omni.

My biggest problem is binge eating though. I've suffered from mental illness since I was 13 and I've used food to relieve stress my whole life. Also when I was younger I got put on a lot of different diets to lose weight when I wasn't actually that big, I think that really screwed me up and has given me a bad relationship with food. In 2009 I began really hurting myself- I wouldn't eat for 5 or 6 days of the week and then binge. I'd do that over and over again.
Late at night I tend to make trips to the supermarket and indulge in things like soy ice cream, chips, dark chocolate, noodles, etc. I eat until I literally can't move and it's just getting really out of hand.

Anyway I think if I can stop binging so much and eat what I normally eat (maybe eat a little bit less though) and start to exercise I will probably start to loose some weight. I haven't done any exercising in ages.. I find it really hard to get started.
I just think I need some like minded people to talk to and have some sort of support network.... I'm trying to find a support group for people with eating disorders..
gooberboggle

Return to Weight loss Talk