It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Free Newsletter

No1 Piece of Dieting Advice... What would yours be?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

No1 Piece of Dieting Advice... What would yours be?

Postby hollypollypie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi,
As everybody is trying to lose weight, perhaps we could all share our number one piece of advice around weight loss.

Sometimes sticking to a regimented diet is so hard, so many rules (well that's what i found!) so I can off it and made my own up, based of little bits of all diets that suited me! It was a strange methodology - but it did work.

So I wondered what everybodies one piece of advice would be...

Perhaps your one little nugget might just be the piece that is needed for someone else.

H.xx
hollypollypie

Re: No1 Piece of Dieting Advice... What would yours be?

Postby Sanov22 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Sometimes sticking to a regimented diet is so hard, so many rules (well that's what i found!) so I can off it and made my own up, based of little bits of all diets that suited me! It was a strange methodology - but it did work.

I was going to say basically this when I saw the thread title... my #1 thing is find what works FOR YOU.

But since you already said that I'll go with... "eat better, move more, be patient" ... as opposed to worrying about the 'perfect' diet and exercise plan and wanting results superfast.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Make decisions about food and lifestyle in the same way as a healthy thin person would, and you'll eventually become one.

I've been using this philosophy to make snap decisions about things such as:
- snack on a biscuit OR an apple?
- sit on my arse watching television OR take the dog for a walk?
- eat a pile bacon, eggs and toast for breakfast OR a small bowl of cereal?

What would I do in each of the above examples if I was a healthy thin person? Yep, the second choice, to act like a healthy thin person, usually wins now.

The alternative - a lifestyle of an unhealthy and fat person - is exactly what got me to be so unhealthy and fat in the first place. Never again.
CronicBadger

Postby fi_112 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:58 pm

Mine would be... DON'T GIVE UP!!! .. No matter how badly you think you've messed up, just get back on the horse. The damage can be undone in a few days.
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Metalcharm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:53 am

My advice would be

(actually it would be what Chronic Badger said so I'll think of something else :lol: do you listen to Fat2fit?)

to eat from the fridge. Usually the processed foods will be the ones you store in the cupboards and the fresh fruit and veg will be in the fridge and they are the foods you should be eating.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Metalcharm, I don't listen to fat2thin, but just did a Google search for it and found a radio show by that name. And the second article on their web page (#120) is using the same phrase that I thought I was oh-so-clever at making up all by myself. :-)

"...lives the lifestyle of a thin healthy person..."
CronicBadger

Postby Metalcharm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:08 pm

lol that's them. It's two blokes that use that as one of their mantras - that's why I thought you must have listened to them too :lol: . Good solid info and chat - you can get their podcasts on itunes and there's a facebook page too.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby court » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:38 pm

mine would be small changes over a big time frame - not big changes over a small time frame :roll: also, drink water and cut out artificial sweeteners!!! :mrgreen:
court

Postby yogibbear » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:31 am

Don't diet. You are not dieting. You are correcting mistakes in your lifestyle. You never stop that lifestyle. If you can't hack the change you are making then you will not be able to stick to it. This then determines what changes you make to your lifestyle. E.g. drinking more water, taking daily vitamins and omega 3's, planning out an exercise routine and sticking to it, planning out weights/resistance training routines and sticking to them etc. etc. are essential. Eat until you are satisfied, but just eat better foods. OR if you really can't avoid something that would make you guilty, drink a glass of water before that and then add in healthy food with the unhealthy food. E.g. if you really feel like a pizza, make it yourself, load it with baby spinach, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. try not to go overboard on the cheese and use meats that are processed as minimally as possible. However it you can't avoid those exotic sausages (e.g. chorizo) make sure that you've dumped a tonne of spinach on there so that you can feel good about it at the same time. Then it'll taste great, you'll get the chorizo thing off your mind and you've filled your stomach up with spinach and water so it won't be craving too much of that deadly sausage.

Also tracking your progress with a diary/calendar is quite helpful to look back on how many days of weights/exercise you've put in so you can really pat yourself on the back.
yogibbear

Postby court » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 am

awesome advice yogibear - you arent reading the gabriel method by any chance are you? :D
court

Postby cailea » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:25 pm

"read everything!"

You do not have to go without anything you just need to make choices.......magnum vs skinny cow ice cream, skinny cow ice cream vs yoghurt. It's all about choices and to make those choices, read every food item, understand how it can/can't fit into your food intake.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNmRWop/]
[/url]
cailea

Postby mum2james » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:13 pm

My number 1 piece of advice is have a plan. If you don't want to set an overall weightloss goal then set little goals such as 2 or 5kg and reward yourself when you reach your mini goal (non food related such as buying a magazine, getting haircut, having your nails done, etc).
Keep a diary of what you eat and make meal plans so you don't stand at the cupboard/fridge looking for something to eat. These are also good for shopping so you know what you need to get and don't have to look at the biscuits, chocolate, etc.

Plan plan plan. :D
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby lindtcrazy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 am

Hi,
My thoughts on a diet tip would be what I have learnt and listened to.

End the love affair with food and make your love affair with being healthy and at your optimum.

Shannon on TBL struck a note with me. 'look at food as a fuel and nothing more' and have a cheat day one day a week, that would be when you've met goals obviously :D
lindtcrazy

Postby zagande » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:41 pm

My advice would be to ensure that you know what your matabolism profile is. There are three types:

(1) protein
(2) carbohydrate
(3) a balance between protein and carbohydrate

What this emans is that we are all diffenret and we all have the ability to metabolise differnet foods at differnet rates. An individual who has a protein metabolism profile will be able to better process meats, fish and eggs and foods high in carbohydrates will take longer to be broken down and will likely increase insulin levels reaulting in an increase in fat storage - this emans that even high amounts of fruit could be impacting fat loss. The converse is true for an individual who has a carbohyrate metabolism profile, and one who has the balanced metabolism profile can have a 1 to 1 serving of proteins and carbohydrates.

Discover your profile metabolism first and then tailor your dietary intake with the right balance of carbodyrates and proteins. It will make your fat loss plans work so much better.

Zagande
zagande

Postby thinkingthinner » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:14 pm

THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL SO STOP LOOKING FOR IT!
Will power, determination and pure hard work is the only way to lose weight.....

I have tried so many diets and so called quick fixes deep down we know they wont work we have to do things we know we can keep up for the rest of our lives ....like me and so many others that have wrestled with a weight problem since forever we will continue to do so even if we have lost all the weight it will be an ongoing battle so we might as well harden up abit and enjoy the fight.
(Will power stepping in....Mr Whippy just drove slowley past my house...deeeeep breaths ......hands over ears lalalalalal....gone ... now thats will power...hehehe)

thinking thinner
thinkingthinner

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk