It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:20 am

Free Newsletter

1200 CALORIES 32YR OLD MALE 130KG

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

1200 CALORIES 32YR OLD MALE 130KG

Postby irishmon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 pm

hi guys,

i am 32 years old 130kgs (week one was well over 135) i am getting married on the first of october 1st and need to know if what im doing will get me to my goal weight of 100kg by that time.
im in week 2 of my low carb, low fat, high protein diet.
i have started out eating every 2-3 hours on small portions (approx 150 to 250 grams of tuna/chicken/meat/roo/fish with salad) and lo carb protein shake as a snack.
my total intake for the day is about 1200 calories which is mate up of about 50-100 grams of carbs 50-100 grams of fat and the left is mainly protein.
im also doing a nightly walk for 30-40mins in my target fat burning zone (120bpm)...
i will also be adding 1 x 700mg ACETYL CARNITINE tablet in the morning.
my main question is
a- is 1200 calories to low? (if so what can i up it to to reach my goal weight of 100kg by oct 1st)
b-is my carb and fat intake to low? (if so what should i be having?)
c- am i doing enough exercise?
to be completley honest im enjoying it right now im feeling good but i am constantly getting conflicting feedback from my mate who is a body builder and my sister who is gym junkie.
what can i do different?
cheers
michael
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZHvl4D/]
[/url]
irishmon

Re: 1200 CALORIES 32YR OLD MALE 130KG

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 am

I am 5ft 3 and 76kg and I am on 1300 a day. Just from everything I've read since I started my weight loss (and my god I've read a lot lol) you are eating way too low. You will lose weight but you'll put it all back on when you start eating again plus you'll do some damages to your metabolism which will make any further weight loss harder to achieve.

Here is a link that when you put in your details it will give you the calories you should be having a day to get down to your goal weight. Now it might not get you to your weight at the time you want it to be and you can shave it down a bit but, I believe, it's the healthiest way to lose weight for long term results. Have a look and see what you think.
http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

all the best!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby irishmon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:20 pm

hi and thanks for the reply,
i looked at that site and that sureley cannot be right though.
tell me what you think
it says mt bmr:
your current BMR is 3954 calories.
its saying i should eat
Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 5492
WTH? lol maybe thats over a long period of time!
do u know of any other sites that do that and include your goal date?
cheers
[/url]
irishmon

Postby irishmon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:26 pm

oh sorry i also forgot to ask, IS IT SAFE? to have such low calories?
i woke up this morning and decided maybe 1600 was more realistc and maintainble....
just a thought
[/url]
irishmon

Postby äirly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Well looking at the Calorieking.com.au website (which a lot of people on here use) if you eat 1350 calories per day you'll be at goal by October... this does NOT include exercise calories, so depending how much you're burning I think 1600 is a much better number for you.

Other than that your diet looks good to me, I have been eating lower carb (really jsut cutting out a lot of sweets etc in my diet) for the past few weeks, I still have blow outs but overall feeling that this diet is MUCH more suited to us :D
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Postby court » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Irishman -

So the way calories work is - your body needs a certain amount to just function at your current weight. that is what makes up your BMR which is you basal metabolic rate. so your body uses calories to stand up, walk, sit at your office, walk to the water cooler etc. You can google your BMR. Mine is 1400 or something. I am a 69kgs 159cm female. I think that is getting a bit technical to start though! I cant function on 1200 cals - i am deadset so starving on 1200 cals that I end up binging every time I attempt it!

I was 92kgs, I started eating 1500 cals every day (6 small meals) and getting in a little exercise here and there and pretty quickly found myself at 70kgs. Then it was a little harder and still is and i have to figure out the balance that works FOR ME. 1200 cals is definitely too little for your size - think of it like this when you hit that dreaded plateau where do you go from 1200 cals? There is no margin for moving down in calories. I would recommend logging onto caloriking.com.au where you input some of your details and it will automatically calculate your %'s of what food groups etc based on your height weight and your daily activity levels. When it coems down to it everyone has different ideas about what works for who but you have to find what works for you. best of luck!
court

Postby irishmon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:28 pm

hey guys thanks so much for taking the time out to post the info...
yeah i came to the realisation last night that it was too low because i went for a walk and 10mins in i thought i was going to pass out.....
1600 is great i get to make up with more carbs and more fats and today im already im already feeling even better!!!
my mate who is a life long bodybuilder even said i have to add carbs which got me thinkingi was doing something wrong!
anyways today i woke up late and had scrammbles eggs (2 whole eggs and 2 addiontional egg whites) with a splash of skim milk 1 slice of taost and i felt like a millon dollars within 15mins....
im using a great app on my iphone called MYFITNESSPAL i suggest everyone with an iphone to get it, its 10 out 10 it has every food you can imagine on there and it calculates every thing for you TRY IT!!!!
my username on there is:
irishmon
you can add friends and everything its just perfect for me.

so is it safe to say that 1600-1800 with a 30 walk every night included is enough for me to get where i need to be?
its just amazing that you can cut the trans fats and simple carbs and feel so much better
"diet and exercise, who would have though huh"
crazy times ahead but im in it for the long haul so im sure i will eventually get it right.
thanks again guys!!!
irish
[/url]
irishmon

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm

I've used myfitnesspal too and haven't found a food yet that wasn't on there!

I think you must have put your numbers in wrong on F2F .. I put you in at 6ft and it says upir bmr would be 2562 (130kg = 286lb) . I know the numbers do still seem high but they are all about slow (pound a week) weight loss for a better chance of a healthy diet and long term weight loss.

Maybe a bit more on the exercise front wouldn't hurt you .. you really need to get your heart rate pumping. Can you do some classes at a gym?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby irishmon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 pm

yeah gym classes are very possible....
ill do anything as long as my goal is reached by the 1st of oct....
[/url]
irishmon

Postby äirly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 pm

The other thing to keep in mind regarding the exercise, is that over time you will find yourself needing to do more to get the same benefit. I think your walks at the moment are great, especially if you live in a hilly type of area (like me :)) but as your body gets fitter you will of course not get the same effect. Even just longer walks, adding in some runs, perhaps weights while your walking/running (my mum has some that she adds to her ankles and hands) might do the trick. Otherwise if you are so inclined there are other options, like the gym, team sports, etc.

Ideally I think people should like at consistantly losing 2kgs per month, HOWEVER this of course won't get you to your goal by October - and that said, 30kgs in 6-7 months is not what I would term unhealthy, particularily for someone at your current weight.

Also, I'm sure your body builder friend has a much better understanding of calorie intake and so on than I would, so not to disregard what he says, but do keep in mind that the daily needs of an athlete are very different from a regular person, especially in regards to carbs. My understanding is that athletes eat A LOT of carbs, simply because they burn so many and of course their bodies just eat up the glucose - regular people like us have to get by on a lot less :) That said, despite my post earlier I dont neccisarily think carbs are BAD - and I still eat plenty - but sugar I've cut out a lot as well as extra servings of bread (sometimes still indulge @ brekky) I think this is ok - certainly its agreeing very well with my body at any rate :)
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Postby Patientperson » Sun May 15, 2011 1:33 am

Wow you're eating waaaaaaaay too few calories I think!

I started at 1.82 m height and 128 kgs and by eating 2300-2500 I am losing about a kg per week, I exercise a lot though but still... 1200 is too low for your numbers!

Other than that I think you're doing fine mate :)
Don't give up!
Patientperson

Postby sweetcharm » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:55 pm

wow! amazing one..
sweetcharm

Return to Weight loss Talk