It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:54 am

Free Newsletter

Keeping myself motivated....yeah right! :-)

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Keeping myself motivated....yeah right! :-)

Postby MelbGirl08 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm back to the forum after a long problem has always been motivation when it comes to weightloss and I think if I keep in touch with like-minded people, I may just have a chance.

I have heard good stories about censored and I will be making my purchase tomorrow, reading the material and then starting over the weekend. I have had success on high protein, low card diets before ad I see that BT has a nice balanced approach to both.

I have tried many times before to lose weight, but sadly, I am an excellent starter but a poor finisher. I get really enthusiastic at the beginning, but my motivation fades in the following months and I easily succumb to bad habits once again.

How does everyone stay motivated, especially if you have lots of weight to lose? If I had 10kg or less to lose, it wouldn't be a problem, but I am over 45kg do I push myself to stick with the program? I am miserable in my own skin, I disgust myself every day when I look into the mirror and I am becoming socially withdrawn. I'm afraid eventually I will become a shadow of my former self, I know I did not gain all this weight overnight, but I am so desperate to get rid of the flab that it sometimes becomes so overwhelming and I see myself failing once again.

For someone who has never been overweight, this would seem really bizarre but for those who have struggled with weight all their life, only they know what's it's like to be a skinny person stuck in a fat person's body.

I guess I've always been the kind of person who wants to see results sooner rather than later, but like the post suggests, my motivation fades after a while. To lose weight, I need to be persistent through bad and good days, but I'm stuck.

Thanks to all for reading :-)

Re: Keeping myself motivated....yeah right! :-)

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:01 am

Hi D

You sound just like I used to be - I had been fat all my life, was wanting quick weight-loss results and continually falling off the wagon when I became disillusioned. I was 50 kilos overweight 18 months ago, but am now only 1.5 kg over.

My first thought is that you probably don't need censored, nor any other commercial weightloss product. You need to find the motivation within yourself, not in a box.

As for motivation, I suggest ignore thinking about the long term as it is irrelevant. For example, it may take two years to lose that weight - but time flows constantly and the end of two years will eventually come to pass - so if you've been doing everything right then you'll have succeeded.

By that I mean it's only the things you do day-to-day between now and then that matters. And since it is just the day-to-day stuff you do that matters (eating well, exercising) you can break it down into small self-contained chunks that you don't need to look beyond - such as individual weeks or months.

Keep a food diary, be honest with yourself and stay focussed. If you fall off the wagon then get back on immediately, not "tomorrow" or when you eventually "feel motivated". Don't give yourself the choice of long-term failure.

And finally:
The most effective thing I've done to get as far as I have is to change my attitude - I now think and act the way I think a healthy thin person would. A person like that doesn't pig out on cakes or biscuits daily, nor spend all their spare time on the couch in front of the telly. By living the lifestyle of a thin and healthy person my body is gradually and inevitably reshaping itself into the outward sign of that lifestyle.

Hopefully you can find something useful in all that above.

Re: Keeping myself motivated....yeah right! :-)

Postby jasmine88 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 am

cronicbadger is exactly right.
You dont need fad things like censored. Trust me I have done every fad diet under the sun and none have worked as I can not stick to it and everytime I 'failed' I put on more weight and my motivation went down even more. (I suspect that is what the whole diet industry is built on :twisted: )

I have completely changed my mindset and completly understand the only thing that is going to work now and in the longterm is to eat less and move more! Simple as that.

good luck with it all
Starting Weight: 84.1kg (4 Apr 11)
Current Weight: 84.1kg
Goal Weight 1: 79.0kg
Goal Weight 2: 74.0kg
Goal Weight 3: 69.0kg
Goal Weight 4: 64.0kg
Ultimate Goal Weight: 59.0kg (By summer!)

Return to Weight loss Talk