It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:28 am

Free Newsletter

What Method do You Use and How Much Have You Lost?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Talien » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:46 pm

I was wondering who uses what, for example, Jenny Craig type diets, who uses the gym, what sort of classes, or do you just eat healthier foods more frequently and walk around the block a few times a week?
*~*~* BMR: 8,155 *~*~* 5,500kj Food Plan *~*~* Aim: 70kg *~*~*
MAY CHALLENGE:
Starting Weight: 117.6kg
Weekly Weigh-in: Monday 2/5: 117.6; Monday 9/5: 116.6
Talien

Re: What Method do You Use and How Much Have You Lost?

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 pm

It was a lifestyle and attitude change for me:

First, my attitude to food had to change: I had a constant desire for the immediate "fix" eating something nice gave me. Over time I changed to to treating food as nice, but just a minor part of my life.

I decided to live and think like I thought a healthy thin person would: ie not thinking about food all the time, developing new and varied interests that got me outside and moving more.

Education: until a year ago I had no understanding of how much energy was in food. I now eat much less than I did, but still eat enough to feel full.

Honesty with myself: I keep a food diary which lists everything I eat each day plus a rough kilojoule count. Keeping to an average range of kilojoules each week ensures that I constantly lose weight.
CronicBadger

Postby aena » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Gym membership and BIkram's yoga and about how much I have lost..I am yet to lose what I have put it back on...back to square one :(
aena

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 am

I went for the lifestyle change and used no actual programme or products and have lost 31kg. (the thought of eating a jelly something that's going to swell and reduce my apetite sounds crazy to me). For the first few months I treated it like giving up smoking and had NO crap whatsoever. I have loosened up on that now and don't want to slit my throat if I have a few chips and dip at a party for instance. :lol:

Main changes were
* drastically cut down on breads and went to only a couple slices of whole grain bread a day.
* went for whole foods and basically cut out most processed foods
* ate fruits and vegetables and lots of them!
* no food treats
* exercised for at least half and hour every day
* read read read everything I could about the make up of foods and what was good and bad and then i read some more

When i started I walked for about half an hour and would go about 2.5km and nearly died - the other day I did 5km in 43 mins and felt great!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby aena » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:37 am

Metalcharm wrote:I went for the lifestyle change and used no actual programme or products and have lost 31kg. (the thought of eating a jelly something that's going to swell and reduce my apetite sounds crazy to me). For the first few months I treated it like giving up smoking and had NO crap whatsoever. I have loosened up on that now and don't want to slit my throat if I have a few chips and dip at a party for instance. :lol:

Every time some life issues comes up my attitude toward changing lifestyle seem to disappear. I binge, I feel guilty, I hit the gym, burn away those calories, promise myself never to screw it up again for when I train I realise how hard it is to burn that piece of donut that I consumed. But when things go wrong, it all gone. I repeat the whole cycle. Strange how all this binge eating thingy has started that too when I have embarked on this journey of losing those last few pounds and toning up. :cry:
aena

Postby Talien » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:42 pm

I just quit smoking which has caused me to gain a few extra kilos. I didn't want to try and lose weight and give up at the same time and so I decided to not panic about weight until after having not smoked for 1 month.

This also sort of gives me time to get used to the idea if that makes sense, making a lifestyle change is something I want to commit to and I think that the 1 month completely sugar free will be a really good idea! (I have a major sweet tooth). So I've set the date to begin as the 1st of May. Don't get me wrong I'm not eating just chocolate till then. I'm increasing my water intake and exercise slowly, and I'm going to make sure that I have the right foods in the house.

Oddly enough, for me to lose weight I need to eat more frequently. That is something I hate. I dont like eating small meals throughout the day. I would prefer one meal at the end of the day, but that is something I realllly need to change.
MAY CHALLENGE:
Talien

Postby dragonfly » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:02 pm

my basic method is in my siggy, and I have lost over 45kilos by eating better, and exercising more.
my food diary is also something you may want to read when you have a spare 20 hours LOL, as I write everything in there LOL
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby bjam » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:38 pm

I lost 24kg over a couple of years without really trying because my situation changed, i had a reason to walk more places and I didnt have constant access to snacks ... I also had uni to fill in my time, so there was less boredom eating. I stayed the same for about a year as I had obviously hit a weight that went well with my new life (about 78-82kg range) and just now I am doing my first active diet to try and get to a healthy weight - I am using myfitnesspal to count calories, staying at 1200cals a day (surprisingly easy when eating lots of veg and fruit and having much smaller portions of meat or rice etc) and going for a short walk each day (this is mostly for my dogs benefit, but I am sure it is helping me too :P ) - I have been doing this for 5wks and lost 5.8kgs so far.

It is really easy to stick to my calories because I plan my day ahead and space out my food - if I want to cook something with higher calories I do it and just plan the day with foods I know are much lower calorie around it - often I have issues making it to my minimum cals and must go find nuts or have some yogurt and oats to ensure i am getting enough!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6WMitp/]
[/url]
bjam

Postby court » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:14 pm

In the last 4 years....no carb, low carb, Jenny, L&E and even BL shakes!

Now I have come to the realisation that as natural as possible, good quality nutritious food with enough exercise to keep the endorphins pumping is the best way :roll: :D Who woulda thought it is so easy....

And how much? 27kgs in the whole process.... wouldnt change anything but happy to have come to this realisation!
court

Postby Talien » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:09 pm

I started a food diary and I think I will take a look at yours Dragonfly.
I used to be with slimplicity for fernwood and their booklet made choosing the foods to eat a lot easier, though it narrowed it down. I learnt nothing about food except that "this" was ok and "that" was not. I didn't actually learne about kJ or fat or protein.
I remember at one point I thought that if I ate 1 chocolate bar over the course of the day, then this would equate to my kJ intake... Of course it doesn't work that way because of the fat, but I still don't know much about protein carbs and all that jazz.

I know a few things:

1. I eat WAY too many carbs.
2. Protein is good to help rebuild and repair muscle and is essential, however you really don't need that much. so I'm sticking to about 90g of quality red meat, 120g if it's fish ^.^.

But most importantly, if I want to lose weight I need to run at or below 7,500kJ.
Why do so many people use calories? Isn't that imperial?
MAY CHALLENGE:
Talien

Postby aena » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:04 pm

I don't know how the whole simplicity pro gramme at Fernwood works but never liked their PT session at all. May be because I had this high expectations of my trainers...
aena

Postby Talien » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 am

Wow really?
Mine were really friendly nice girls... Until the PT session started and then WHOA. Crazy psychotic drill seargants! If you could walk at the end of the night they went easy on you :lol:
MAY CHALLENGE:
Talien

Postby electrongirl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:31 am

I am doing Weight Watchers, which teaches you to make better choices but not to deprive yourself completely. It also encourages healthy eating by having Good Health Guidelines to meet every day.

I started it on Jan 4th 2011 and have lost 9.5kg. This is without much exercise too. Just changing my eating habits. If I exercise I lose more. I have had some back problems and just getting over a bout of bronchitis so I have been restricted in what I can do exercise wise lately.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby aena » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:22 am

Talien wrote:Wow really?
Mine were really friendly nice girls... Until the PT session started and then WHOA. Crazy psychotic drill seargants! If you could walk at the end of the night they went easy on you :lol:

Tell me about it..lol

You know what i feel, even if i don't eat for lets say a whole month and just exercise I prolly won't lose any of these fats..these vanity pounds i mean , it looks that tough- not wanting to go away...i love my genes..they make this whole weight loss journey so darn difficult... :x
aena

Postby newyork » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:01 pm

I've done Jenny Craig on and off for the last 1.5 yrs. Found it hard to get the last 10-15kg off and have been doing personal training twice a week for the last 3 months which has help so much. Iv'e now got 6 kgs to go and have never had so many compliments as the training has really changed my body shape. I think we can all find a meal plan to suit, but the big thing is to commit to some hardcore exercise- weights, spin, interval training- no less than 5 days a week.
newyork

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk