It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:28 am

Free Newsletter

Is it Possible to lose the belly skin?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it Possible to lose the belly skin?

Postby Talien » Mon May 02, 2011 6:56 pm

I've been wondering, is it possible to bring you're tummy back in and taught after its all stretched out? I've people who lose a LOT of weigh and their bellies hang just loose skin, is there any-way of getting rid of this? Or a preventative maybe? I don't have it I'm just worried about getting it.
*~*~* BMR: 8,155 *~*~* 5,500kj Food Plan *~*~* Aim: 70kg *~*~*
MAY CHALLENGE:
Starting Weight: 117.6kg
Weekly Weigh-in: Monday 2/5: 117.6; Monday 9/5: 116.6
Talien

Re: Is it Possible to lose the belly skin?

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 pm

This is SUCH a common question around here! You're not alone by far!

As I understand it, if it IS loose skin (i.e. not just flabby excess fat that is unsupported by muscle), the only way to be rid of it is surgery :(

If it is still fat, you can get rid of it by... doing more exercise and watching what you eat! (No surprise there). Doing some strengthening and toning exercises in the core/ab area might also help get things toned and more supported so it reduces the appearance of the flabby tummy syndrome too.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KittyMul » Thu May 05, 2011 12:01 am

Hi!

I've lost about 20kg and have about another 35kg to go. I've already got some loose skin on my stomach, thighs and arms - not much, but enough to know it's going to be an issue as I lose more. The tips I've been given are to drink lots of water, tone up as much as you can, exfoliate and moisturise daily and to take a vitamin supplement to promote skin renewal. I've been using a skin firming lotion by Dove as well, which seems to be working quite well. It's a bit expensive though and given I'm a student I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford it long term.
SW: 121kg
CW: 96.4kg
GW: Less than I weigh now...
KittyMul

Postby Talien » Thu May 05, 2011 12:03 am

Thanks for that!
I think I'll really need to focuse on toning and making sure i get the elasticity back into my skin :) It's nice to hear that others have this issue and that there is a way of dealing with it!
*~*~* BMR: 8,155 *~*~* 5,500kj Food Plan *~*~* Aim: 70kg *~*~*
MAY CHALLENGE:
Starting Weight: 117.6kg
Weekly Weigh-in: Monday 2/5: 117.6; Monday 9/5: 116.6
Talien

Postby KittyCat88 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 am

Hey Talien

I have the same concern as you do. I have had 2 children which has left me with stretched tummy skin. I use Bio oil. Now I know they say that its for scars but it does put some elasticity back into your skin. Im also using th Ab circle pro that my mum got me to see if it really does help out at all. From what my doctor has said there is no garanteed way to get rid of it unless you have surgery but you can minimize it by making sure you drink alot of water, keep your skin hydrated and do some toning exercises.
Im currently embarcking on my own kind of mini challenge to see how well Bio oil and the ab circle work. So fingers crossed that there will be a good result at the end of the month :D
KittyCat88

Postby ClarissaM » Tue May 10, 2011 3:27 am

Does age have anything to do with how much flabby skin one has or is it just the amount of weight lost? I would think the younger you are, the more resilient your skin would be and the more it would bounce back. I guess cosmetic surgery is the only sure way to get rid of extra skin.
Last edited by CronicBadger on Sun May 15, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted commercial advertisement in sig.
ClarissaM

Postby Patientperson » Sun May 15, 2011 1:27 am

I think if you are young there is a margin where the skin will become smoother on its own, otherwise (or if you have a lot of excess skin) then surgery is the only option as other people have said too I'm afraid.
Don't give up!
Patientperson

Return to Weight loss Talk