It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Free Newsletter

How do you pick your goal weight??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you pick your goal weight??

Postby lovergirl » Fri May 06, 2011 4:41 pm

I want to join the 12 week challenge but what is a realistic goal for 12 weeks?

My goal is 63kg (I dont know why though I just chose this number out of thin air really..) but Cohen's online Goal weight calculator says my goal weight should be 55 - 58kgs based on my height, shoe size, gender & birthday. (Google Goal Weight to find the calculator)

If anyone else has tried the Cohen's calculator were you suprised at the goal weight it suggested?

So how do you decide on your goal weight? Everyone here seems to have very focused goals, can you give me feedback on how you decided what your goal weight would be and any factors to consider? Thanks :)
lovergirl

Re: How do you pick your goal weight??

Postby Talien » Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Heya,
Mine said the same as yours.

Basically I think it's better to go off your BMI. Once you hit the Normal range for your height then start to look at getting to where you feel 'healthy' rather than thin, otherwise you can go too far, or alternatively, not far enough!
Putting it simply, I'm working down to 85, then down 70, 70 seems really tiny to me, but once I get there I'll re-assess my goal weight and see where I want to be. Ultimately I'd like to get to 60, but it all depends on how fit I feel and how good I think I look at the time. It's YOUR body, so make small goals for now and the closer you get to the major weight goal the more equipped you will be with how to guess what weight you want to be :)
*~*~* BMR: 8,155 *~*~* 5,500kj Food Plan *~*~* Aim: 70kg *~*~*
MAY CHALLENGE:
Starting Weight: 117.6kg
Weekly Weigh-in: Monday 2/5: 117.6; Monday 9/5: 116.6
Talien

Postby Metalcharm » Sat May 07, 2011 8:25 am

I did mine from the BMI. I initially said 65kg which is the upper end of my healthy weight range bbut when I got to that I changed it down to 60kg, middle of range, as I knew I still had some to go and I knew I could keep doing what I was doing.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby cailea » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 pm

I used the BMI also, and picked the top end of it....*I was being hopeful lol*

When I got within 10kg of that amount I began to realise I would still have excess body fat at that weight and after discussion with my doc we have changed it down another 5.

It is hard, my BMI range is 17kg! I think it is hard to know where you should be until you get there, so set small goals :)

cailea
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNmRWop/]
[/url]
cailea

Postby Patientperson » Sun May 15, 2011 1:29 am

Well I just want to have BMI below 25, then I will figure out how "thin" I prefer to be, for now its a long goal since I just recently dropped below BMI 35 :oops:
Don't give up!
Patientperson

Postby bjam » Sun May 15, 2011 9:08 am

I too was surprised by the cohens recommendation - it seemed low to me compared to my healthy BMI goal (it is within the range, I had just always been looking to the top end of healthy :wink: and actually Cohen's recommends 50-53kg, which would put me in the bottom end... which I dont think I have the build for...) anyways - I looked at my healthy BMI range and also at my current weight and picked something in the healthy range that I also feel is potentially acheivable (overall goal of 54 is a challenge, mini goals are defs acheivable!) ... but as everyone before has said, a re-evaluation when I am there or closer to it!

I am intrigued by this question though - as I had a hard time picking this number with no knowledge of what a healthy weight for me is (I have never been a normal weight in my adult life) so can't go on past experience and BMI is just an avg etc etc - so will be interested to see other people's replies! (I think it is going to be a bit of guesswork as I go in truth)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6WMitp/]
[/url]
bjam

Return to Weight loss Talk