It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:31 am

Free Newsletter

Why isn't the scale budging? :(

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why isn't the scale budging? :(

Postby manda » Tue May 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to lose weight for a little over 3 months now. I know that isn't that long... but the scales haven't really budged since I started. :( I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight? Or at least this will let me get it off my chest! :mrgreen:

I've been going to gym quite regularly since Feb. 2-3 days a week at first... and now 3-4 days a week with 3 days of walk/jogging; which means at least 6 days of the week I'm doing some sort of physical exercise for at least an hr each time. A mixture of both weights and cardio. Understandably muscle weighs more than fat and I do feel like I've gained some muscle... but.. surely I should be losing some weight, shouldn't I?

My diet is something like this:
Breakfast - 2 eggs
Morning tea - 1 fruit or 1 muesli bar or 1 glass of fresh juice (carrots, apples, pears, celery, grapefruit...)
Lunch - Ham sandwich (literally just the meat and 2 slices of bread.. no margerine or butter.. sometimes with salad) or cooked asian veggies or salad + tuna
Afternoon tea - 1 fruit or 1 muesli bar or 2-3 corn thins
Dinner - Fish and veggie, Meat and veggie, Just veggies...

Sometimes I have some rice for lunch or dinner but at most maybe 4 meals each week. I don't think it's my diet... but if it is then that would be good to know...

I'm by no means giving up.. but it would be nice to kind of know whether I need to do something different to achieve better results... Comments/suggestions?

Re: Why isn't the scale budging? :(

Postby bjam » Wed May 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Is it possible you are not getting enough calories?? When I started I was following a menu plan that was similar to your day in that it was 3 healthy and balanced meals with 2 snacks (the snacks were optional) - and I lost some wgt with this but after a few weeks I hit 75kg and stayed there for.... 2wks? 3wks? not sure - I know that isnt long but I was eating so healthily that it really made no sense to me - I went to a calorie counting site, noticed my days consisted of 800-1000 cals on avg and read a lot of advice saying that you shouldnt go below 1200 as your metabolism will slow down etc etc - upped my cals to 1200, lost again, currently upped to 1350 as a lot of the calculators are telling me to go a bit higher again - and I am consistently losing a bit each wk.

doing a quick add up of your day (I guessed a bit and gave you an apple and an uncle tobys musli bar as snacks :P dinner was 100g of meat and lunch 50g of ham so this could be conservative or not - I am not sure on your portions!) - but didnt come up to 900cals - and with your activity levels added in that is really low...

anyway - something to consider as all of my reading has mentioned this as a possible cause of not losing or just losing really slowly. I should mention that eating healthy foods like fruit and lots of veg actually takes a lot to make up to suitable calories!! I am finding it is sometimes necessary to add a slice of cheese or a handful of nuts on days when I am way under my count.

best of luck!

Postby newyork » Wed May 11, 2011 1:55 pm

I agree that it maybe that you are not getting enough calories. I would aim for 1200cal and no less per day. Also, I would look at how you are getting those calories. For example, I would cut out the museli bar and fruit juice. Stick to whole pieces of fruit and maybe add some yoghurt. For lunch, what sort of bread are you eating? I'd stay away from anything white! How about having a ham salad plus one slice of grainy bread? I would actually recommend switching the ham to lean turkey or chicken. Add some organic penut butter to your corn thins to bulk up the calories. I think your dinners sound good.
On the exercise side of things, has anyone shown you what weights to do or are you doing it yourself? Its always good to get a gym staff member to go through it with you, you maybe using incorrect technique, or lifting weights that are to light! Maybe add a gym class/exercise video to change up your routine? If you have been running, are you increasing your time, distance, or speed? It is important to keep pushing your body to get results from exercise, otherwise you will only maintain and not lose weight which is what is happening to you.
I hope this helps, good luck!!!!! :D

Postby manda » Wed May 11, 2011 11:08 pm

At gym I do a circuit course 2 days a week which involves a series of weight exercise, lunges and cardio. An instructor set the program for me and we change it every 6 weeks. During the 6 weeks I either increase my repetitions myself or increase the weights to try and challenge my body more. I've also recently started going to Les Mills Body Pump.. and am planning to go to that class 2x a week too. As for my walking/jogging... I have this iPhone app which gradually reduces the amount of walking and increases the amoung of running that I do in a period of time. So... that being said, I don't think it would be my exercise routine that is affecting my lack of weight loss.

I've never actually thought about it that way, that I could be eating too little. Come to think of it... I have been having quite poor bowel movements.... :shock: Which makes sense because my body is probably storing everything I'm consuming. At the moment my wisdom tooth is coming out which makes it hard to eat stone fruits :lol: Hopefully it'll grow out soon and stop giving me grief! Anyways, thanksHEAPS both of you for sharing your knowledge and thoughts! I'll try and improve my diet even more and fingers crossed, I might see the numbers going down! On the bright side, it's not going up!!

It took me over 20 years to get to this size so I can't really expect to be slim so quickly... patience and determination has got to be the key I suppose! :)

Postby Patientperson » Sun May 15, 2011 1:23 am

Are you male or female? How tall are you and, if I may ask, how old are you? :)

Answering these questions will make it easier to come up with an answer. Also, how are you feeling during the day, do you have times that you feel exhausted and tired?
Don't give up!

Postby manda » Thu May 19, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm a 25 yr old female, and I'm about 166cm tall... hmm, today I feel exhausted but its my 4th day in a row going to the gym! :mrgreen:
Tired but still motivated! :)

I'm trying to calorie count now to see if it helps

Return to Weight loss Talk