It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:26 am

Free Newsletter

Exercising in the Morning

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Exercising in the Morning

Postby KittyMul » Fri May 20, 2011 12:19 am

So, everyone says that's it's best to exercise in the morning because it boosts your metabolism for the day and all that. I'm all for metabolism boosting so I've been trying to take my exercise in the morning. However, I've noticed that I always feel quite stiff in the mornings, especially around my hips, and everything seems like so much more effort. I did a bit of analysis on Run Keeper and my average speed is nearly a whole km/hour less when I walk in the morning versus the afternoon! So I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help me with? Is the stiffness/weakness normal? What can I do about it? And do you think it's worth persisting with the mornings even though I'm burning less calories and enjoying it less? I would love to be in the habit of exercising early so it's out of the way but not when it's such a struggle :?

Thanks in advance for any help!
SW: 121kg
CW: 96.4kg
GW: Less than I weigh now...
KittyMul

Re: Exercising in the Morning

Postby manda » Sun May 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi,
Hmm, as far as I know, there's quite a lot of debate regarding "when's the best time to exercise". Contrary to what you've mentioned, I read somewhere that it's better to exercise later in the day at around 4-6pm as that is when your body temperature is at its highest. In any case, I think the best time to exercise is whatever time suits you and your schedule best. It seems logical to me that it would be better to stick to your afternoon routine since you get more out of your workout then and you enjoy it more (and this is IMO the most important bit!! ). That being said, I'm sure with persistance, your body will get used to your morning routine and you'll soon pick up your pace and get more out of it!
manda

Postby Patientperson » Sun May 22, 2011 7:36 pm

I can't really manage working out in the morning either. I personally prefer afternoon or even evening exercise unless I am on a date, then I "have" to work out early but it is almost always harder for me to work out in the mornings. I feel stiff and kind of weak, especially if I exercise before breakfast, and If I exercise after breakfast I have a full stomach (kinda) which completely drags me down.
Don't give up!
Patientperson

Postby KittyMul » Tue May 24, 2011 12:16 am

Thanks for the replies!

Manda, I always feel more energetic in the afternoon so maybe that theory is right! I definitely enjoy it more and am more likely to do it in the afternoon, so I'm going to stick to that.

Patientperson, I feel exactly the same - if I don't have breakfast I feel all wobbly kneed and if I do, I feel sick. Can't win!

Thanks again for the help guys, it's nice knowing that it's not just me that's not a morning person :)
SW: 121kg
CW: 96.4kg
GW: Less than I weigh now...
KittyMul

Postby Marina_J » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Morning exercise can help you feel strong, energized, and well in a variety of ways. After few weeks I just feel more balanced in my body. Morning exercises that will help you improve your body and feel your best.
Marina_J

Postby jingky » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:23 pm

It is so good to have an exercise every morning than in the afternoon cause I have many doings in the afternoon not like in the morning I am always free...During morning I am so open minded cause before I exercise take a bath first. And its so effective in exercising in the morning than in any other time...
jingky

Postby Shorty » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Theres no way i can get up early enough for excerciseing in the morning,,my sister and i decided to embark on a gym program a couple years ago,,either she never showed up or i didn't because we were to tired,,,if you are niot a morning person excercise at a time that suits you best,,
Shorty

Postby SamiG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:42 pm

I am looking to swap to morning's excercise as in the evening its hard for me to do, i have to kids and a hubby that works full-time.. the gym means no time at home at night and a rush with dinner etc etc (if you're a mum you'll understand)
If i swap to morning ill have to be at the gym at 5:30am to be home in time for hubby to leave for work... I am hoping this works for me.
SamiG

I want to like myself again!

SamiG

Postby Weightloss4mums » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Kitty,

I am currently on a weight loss journey myself. I started out at 108kgs after having my 3rd child almost 10 months ago. I tried a taking diet pills, it didn’t work. I tried shakes as meal replacement, that didn’t work either. What worked was changing my diet and exercising.

I have recently started exercising in the morning. I mainly use the treadmill to do interval training. I set it at the same speed as I would when I exercise in the evening. As a mother of 3 children under the age of 5, exercising for 20 mins in the morning gives me the energy and kick starts my day so I am ready for my kids when they wake up. I also find that I am more organised during the day having an early start. I do morning and evening exercises with the help and support from my husband who minds the kids and gives me that time to exercise.

I have also read that exercising in the morning kicks starts your metabolism and gets it working for you all day. If you get a change – look into this EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption). Exercising before you eat breakfast also forces your body to use the stored fat as fuel to get you through the exercise thus burning up body fat.

With the winter months, I find it difficult to get up, but then my weight loss journey and my children are always in the back of my mind which motivates me to get up no matter what.
Weightloss4mums

Postby AdamGilchrist » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:40 pm

The advocacy behind the exercise is on the Ground of Fresh air.There are several other reasons too like It regulates their appetite for the day.It means that they aren't as hungry and that they make better food choices. Several people have told me that it puts them in a "healthy mindset.It is mainly because of proper Oxygen supply that It is available in the morning.
AdamGilchrist
AdamGilchrist

Postby ganymede » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:48 pm

I exercise in the morning as I find it is a great boost for my energy for the rest of the day. I feel better getting up earlier and exercising than I do getting more sleep then having to make up for the exercise that night. It is also a great feeling knowing that by 7am my daily exercise is done and dusted and I can go straight home from work and relax and eat dinner! :D

Each to their own though! When I first started losing weight I exercised at night but then I was working early in the morning so I didn't have much choice in the matter!
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby marklee » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Morning is the best time to exercise,because you haven't eaten yet and it give you change to work off the food from yesterday you have stored.Plus you feel like doing it more in the morning then what you do in the afternoon or night cos theirs not much going on and you will feel energetic and more will in.
marklee

Postby SamiG » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:41 pm

I did my first morning workout at the gym yesterday :D I was there at 5:30am til 6:45am and i felt wonderful all day!
SamiG

I want to like myself again!

SamiG

Postby Castillo8886 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Morning exercises are more beneficial for your body these are the best way to waken up your muscles and helps to burn more calories and mental acuity and other reasons such as improves healthy eating, promotes your sleep and induces weight loss.
Castillo8886

Postby fatman2011 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 pm

The time doesn't matter in having an exercise. Exercise can be done at any time of the day. But as a personal advice, I would do some exercise during night. During evening,Our body will just go to rest and have some excess calories to burn. To burn it up, it is practical to have an hour or a 30 minute exercise. After that you can relax, clean yourself and have your beauty sleep.
fatman2011

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk