It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:49 am

Free Newsletter

Tins of Tuna

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Tins of Tuna

Postby Livy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:31 am

Hey All,
Just wanted to bring something to your attention that may be of interest.
Every second day or so, I eat a very small tin of tuna. I love the stuff, and only buy the 'sirena' brand which is over $2 a tin. Yesterday, it was brought to my attention that some of these tunas are full of sugar. Yes, I am not joking sugar. I argued this, saying that my tuna was of premium quality and not the 'sandwhich' type stuff, but proper chunky style tuna. I eat lemon/pepper, tuna in oil and Thai. All of which add a bit of variety. Whoops :oops: After scrutinizing the tin, the thai style did in fact have sugar. They same some tins of tuna have LOADS more calories than others. My other 2 styles were fine, but it looks like I will be giving Thai flavoured tuna a miss. I wonder how many other foods I eat that are higher in calories than I thought?

Have any of you had similar experiences?
Livy

Postby Dolly » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:58 am

Thanks, I eat a can of tuna in brine per day (the one in spring water has the same amount of salt in it as the one in brine)
I'll keep my eyes opened for how much sugar content is in them from now on.
Dolly

Postby KimE » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:28 am

Thanks for that info Livy.

I generally have it in springwater but have also started buying it packed in brine too.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:15 am

Thanks for the info Livy, I generally only buy the plain one, but it is good for future reference.

Wow Dolly I always bought the tuna in water assuming it would be less salt :shock: thanks for that too!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:39 am

I cant eat sea food at all . Ima allergic to eat but i do know that a little amount of tuna is good for u . Not sure about sugar content though
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:14 am

i cant eat seafood either- its disgusting!
kate_turner2000

Postby Groovychic » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:55 am

I love fish but I cant stand tuna and salmon. But the best way to eat the tuna and salmon would be fresh with some herbs etc. It is extremely good for you, even being canned but just check the label before purchasing and make an informed decision. I tend to check the labels on different brands before I buy and then stick to that product. Speaking of fish, I better go get some out of the freezer for dinner. Now I do have a choice, red emperor, snapper, dhuefish or pink snapper!!! It is so good to have a freezer with fish in it. We eat fish about 3 times a week. I just love it. And I dont think fish has any fat. Maybe a smidge but it tends to be no fat I think, unless you deep fry it of course. Which I cant stand battered fish. Makes me feel like vomitting afterwards!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Livy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:21 am

Groovy chick, I LOVE all sorts of fish, but live on a cattle station in Central QLD making it VERY hard to source, and VERY expensive when I can get hold of it. If I could eat fresh fish when I could I would, but I live in a very isolated area with limited resources. You city people take so much for granted!! We just don't have the unlimited options you guys do!! I think fresh is best in every case, fruit, vege, fish and all the rest!
Livy

Postby Groovychic » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:29 am

I dont live in the city Livvy. I live in a very small town in the centre of the south west. And to go and do the groceries is a 40 min drive away! But we do have a boat and my partner drives the hour to the ocean as often as he can to go fishing. Hence why the freezer is loaded with fish. He catches his quota then comes home again. Actually most of the time he cant even get to his bag limit. And he bears in mind the "fish for the future". I watched something the other day on tv about fresh and fozen and in some cases the frozen actually had more nutrients in it than the fresh. Obviously fresh from the garden straight to the plate is the best but not everyone has the room for a vege garden. I am spoilt with fruit trees, vege garden and meat from the farm and of course fish from the ocean. But I am still overweight!!!! :lol: But reading the labels on the products that you buy is still the best resource you can use to buy the products that have the best nurtients, lowest kj's etc.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Ally » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:20 pm

Fish contains the Omega 3 fat, which is very good for us!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Livy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:23 pm

Fresh fish that hubby caught, how wonderful! I also saw that show with fresh and frozen vege etc. My Mum owns(is the publisher and Editor and writer) for an organic gardening magazine, so needless to say I grew up on an organic farm on the Sunshine coast hinterland.
I do have a vege garden, but it's not great. I would love to be self suffiicent.
Livy

Postby Livy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:24 pm

By the way Groovy, I would LOVE to be 3kgs overweight, and not 30!! :D
Livy

Postby Groovychic » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:19 pm

I wish I was only 3kgs overweight. I am doing a mini goal at the moment because it is easier for me to keep going with a mini goal. Well I am hoping it is. I'm about 10 - 12kgs overweight....bugger it all!!!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby fiona » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:24 pm

MMMMMMMMMMMmm i love fish, although my DH doesn't which is a real bummer. Canned tuna is great with a tossed salad, yum yum, i always buy the plain one packed in brine or springwater. My vegie patch has bok choy, tomatoes, cos lettuce, capsicum, zucchini and onion at the moment. The lettuce, i just pull apart when needed, the bok choy is almost finished, yum yum, the capsicum plant is flowering now, the same with my big tomatoe plants and the zucchini. i cant wait to try them. my cherry toms are all green at the moment, but should be ready soon. I'd like to grow some herbs as well as some different lettuces, but will have to expand my patch. Elysia (11 year old daughter) wants to plant some apple and pear trees, so will have to suss those out as well.
Bye for now
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNxsd9O/]
[/url]
fiona

Postby Groovychic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:54 am

You can buy those seedling packs of different types of lettuce. I have planted those in pots in the past, by the kitchen window, and then once they have grown a bit just take a few leaves off as needed. Tomatoes do well in pots as well. I like to have my cherry tomatoes in pots as well as the capsicums. Closer to the house so I can monitor their progress!!!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk