It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Free Newsletter

HELP!! NEW MUM NEEDING WEIGHTLOSS TIPS!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

HELP!! NEW MUM NEEDING WEIGHTLOSS TIPS!!

Postby mel1010 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Hey all i am new to this, i thought this could be somewhere i could start getting information and tips on how to lose weight and what works best for me. I am a first time mum, my boy is almost 9 months old and i'm STILL struggling to lose the baby weight! This is the biggest i have been ever, and am really struggling with my confidence and self esteem. I have never been a big girl, so never had to worry to much about weightloss until i had my baby. I am currently 95kg, and wanting to go down to my average weight which should be about 68-70kg, so i have quite a bit to lose.
I am trying to figure out the best way to go about it for me, my 2 biggest issues are motivation and food consumption. My eyes have always been bigger than my belly, so i have been trying to research on metabolism pills, and wondering if anyone has tried any or can recommend any? I need to learn portion control and struggling with it majorly.
I don't have a problem with eating healthy foods, but its so hard determining whats ok to eat because the things you think are good for you really aren't, and it gets confusing. I do tennis once a week which i love it definately helps doing something you enjoy, and have weightloss dvd's i use at home.
I just want to be back to my old self and feeling good. So if anyone has any advice or tips, things they have tried (although i am well aware the same thing doesn't apply to all) that'd be really great! :)
mel1010

Re: HELP!! NEW MUM NEEDING WEIGHTLOSS TIPS!!

Postby CronicBadger » Mon May 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi Mel

A number of current and past forum members were in the same position as you - losing the weight they'd gained during pregnancy. The older personal Progress threads contain some great stories about how they did it.

Also, the main website attached to this forum (use the link bar up top: Home, diet..) has quite a few useful and relevant articles on nutrition, self-control, forming good habits and exercise.

I'd recommend forgetting the pills - why spend money for a dubious short term effect that masks the real problem when you can instead just spend less money by purchasing and eating less?

Instead ask yourself, "how did I gain this weight?" The answer is simple - inactivity, eating more, etc. Those changes to your lifestyle were short term and necessary for you and bubs, but are no longer required so you'll have to unlearn them.

Determining what foods are healthy or not is just a matter of doing a bit of research. Basically, Good = containing fibre, water, protein, vitamins, etc. Bad = containing sugar, fat, salt, alcohol. The more natural, ie unprocessed, the better. Check the nutritional information charts on the back of packaged food and find out the kilojoules per serve. Compare alternatives - for example, 200g of chilled fat-free yogurt at 450Kj versus 200g of icecream at 1500Kj. Choose the yogurt instead. Tuna instead of salmon. Rolled oats instead of cornflakes.

However, what I've written is second-hand advice and information (I've never experienced pregnancy-related weight-gain, and hope I never do - I'm a guy). Hopefully some of the women here who have gone though it can offer some more info.
CronicBadger

Postby Fallonw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi. I was in the same boat as you.

I was 58kg before I fell pregnant. After I gave birth I weighed 85kg. I then gained another ten. Lost 8. Gained 8 and so on.

I eventually looked at myself and told myself I could not be this large anymore.

My goal was to lose 40kg from August 2010 to August 2011.

I am now 66kg and getting closer to my goal.

I didn't use any diet plans. I just decided to eat less calories for 6 weeks then have a week of not worrying about what I eat. Then back to the no lollies and only good foods for another 6 weeks. It went really well because each time I have my week of eating whatever I want I tend to eat less chocolate and lollies each time.

I didn't do much exercise. I have only been using my treadmill since I only have the time to exercise at night.

I am now going to try to exercise at least 1hr each day. Using a mix of cardio, weights etc.

Good Luck!
Fallonw

Postby Weightloss4mums » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Mel,
You are not alone in this fight. I was about 80kgs or just under before I got pregnant with my first child. I have had 3 children since I’ve been married (5 years) and my heaviest weight was 108kg. I never really had to worry about my weight until all my clothes didn’t fit me anymore and I had to go out and buy size 18 clothes. This really bothered me so few months after my 3rd child was born (about November 2010) I started to look into losing weight.

I tried the Acai Slim tablets but that didn’t work for me. It is suppose to suppress your hunger and make you feel full so that you don’t eat too much. I have read on the internet about others claiming how it has worked for them. It wasn’t for me though. Then I tried drinking shakes as meal replacements. This had an adverse effect on me, I was experiencing a lot of headache and this happened everyday while I was on the shakes diet.

So I decided to do something about it after long discussions with my husband. I got help and changed my diet to start off with. I was the same like you, my eyes were bigger than my tummy and I ate large meals and enjoyed my meals. I ate a lot and didn’t do any exercise. So with the change in my diet I ate a variety of foods and I ate 6 small meals a day as opposed to 3 big meals. I found the small meals helped with my portion control and overtime my stomach had shrunk that I could not eat big meals anymore.

When I changed my diet, I didn’t deny myself a little treat during the week as long as I was in control. Still being able to have little treats capped my craving and I found I didn’t binge on stuff that was not good for me. I also drink herbal tea everyday and diet drinks every now and then. The diet drinks stop my craving for sugar.

One thing you have to try hard is to be persistent and stay motivated and keep your goal in mind, be focussed. I started by walking 20 mins in the park at least 5 times a week. Though having 3 children under the age of 5, sometimes I don’t get to go for my walks so instead of 5 times a week I would do 2-3 times a week.

Once I noticed a bit of weight loss at the start, this motivated me even more. I now own exercise equipment and with the support and help from my husband, I exercise most days of the week in my own home (5-7 days a week). I do 20-30 minutes of exercise nearly everyday and sometime I exercise both morning and evening.

Recently I started getting up in the morning (6am) to do 20 mins of exercise so that I can get ready and be full of energy to be available for my children when they wake up. I find myself more organised when I exercise in the morning. I also do a bit of exercise in the evening too which really makes me feel good. I currently weight 74.4kg (as of this morning) and I feel pretty good though I have not reached my goal weight yet. I am hoping in a few months I will be at my goal weight.

I would suggest the following:
• Reduce your portion
• Eat 6 small meals a day
• Have a little bit of low-fat, low sugar treats for yourself (3 times a week no more. don’t deny yourself as that could have a binge effect)
• Exercise at least 20 mins a day. Start by walking
• Have foods that are low in fat, low in sugar and low in salt and I am thinking low in carbs too.
• Have a look into the dukan diet. I was given a book on it and from reading it, it seems ok to follow. If I try it I will let you know.

Hope you have found something that is working for you and its going well. What I found useful in my journey is that I always read books and articles on ways to improve my exercising habits and boost my metabolism to help me lose weight and reach my goal weight. Any new ideas/information I come across I try to implement it in my routine. If you want to contact me so I can share some of the things I used to help me my email is: [email protected] I’d be happy to share some of the information I have learnt along the way.
Weightloss4mums

Postby tipene78 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum. I decided to join as I wanted to let people know what simple thing has helped me to lose my pregnancy weight. I started my diet and exercise about 9 weeks ago now and I have lost just over 5kg.

What helped me was my "My Bad Habit Wristband" I have a junkfood wristband, and I wore it on the wrist that I eat with, so everytime I went to grab some chips or lollies or chocolate I would see my wristband and it would remind me that I have weight to lose. You also get a "My Bad Habit" 30 day challenge contract with your wristband. I took the challenge with my husband, so we both signed the contract and it stipulates any rewards or consequences, and to my surprise I did last the 30 days without any sort of junkfood. Its amazing what you can do when you are accountable to someone else for what you eat!!!

I highly recommend getting one of these wristbands. If exercise is your problem then you could get a Lazy wristband which could help to motivate you to exercise. You can buy them online. They are great. They have all sorts of wristbands for different types of bad habits.

I have 8 kgs to lose to get back to my pre pregnancy weight. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what exercises are good to help with the flabby skin around the belly area??
Thanks
tipene78

Postby waxam888 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:14 pm

I really think it is about taking it slowly, and ignore the short term goal. Go long.

You just have to look at your bub to get the motivation going. Maybe set a plan with a goal for each week or every month - but with a aim for that long term goal. And instead of looking what went wrong, look at what went right to keep you focused. Let's face it, nothing is prefect, and your weight loss will be like that.

With eating and lifestyle habits, it's hard initially, but if you stick to it, it's going to be part of your daily lifestyle. Healthy habits takes time to conform.

Hoped my 2 cents worth helped.
Last edited by CronicBadger on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed sig containing spam.
waxam888

Return to Weight loss Talk