It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Free Newsletter

To carb, or not to carb...?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

To carb, or not to carb...?

Postby AmandaJ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:24 pm

Hi guys,

I've heard differing opinions on whether it is OK to eat carbs when trying to lose weight.

My best friend is on the Tony Fergason diet and has not eaten carbs in weeks, she has managed to lose a lot of weight, but has experienced digestive problems.

I love potatoes, pasta, bread, and rice, but are these foods keeping me fat?

Can a diet be balanced without carbs?

Love to hear what you all think...

:-)

-Manda
AmandaJ

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:36 pm

HI manda

i have a friend who is a body building professional and she said that carbs are good as long as you use them up. if you dont they will store. your friend would be getting a certain amount of carbs through her tf shakes and soups plus some vegies have carbs in them. (on tf you are allowed carrots two nights a week only because it contains carbs). i actually love breads and pastas and cereals but found whilst on them i was bloated and felt sick in the stomach. i cut them down to the wholegrain varieties (i lost weight this way) but then cut them out entirely and have had a consistant weightloss. when i reach maintenance level i will start to include wholegrain varieties back into my diet. basically i am following the high protein low carb principles. i eat lots of fresh meat and veg- salads a couple of pieces of fruit a day, lots of water and eggs etc. i do treat myself occasionally with lasagne and pastas though. remember everything in moderation.

do YOU think that the carbs are contributing to your weight?
kate_turner2000

Postby healthymum » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:18 pm

I'm not exactly sure on how to answer your question but when I give up on carbs I feel lighter lol but then come the afternoon and I start to crave like crazy I'm new to this.
healthymum

Postby Ally » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:51 pm

What are Carbohydrates?

Carbohydrates, pronounced (car-bo-hi-drayts) are sugars that provide the body with energy. Your body can break carbohydrates down quickly and efficiently.

Carbohydrate rich foods in their natural state are low in calories and high in fiber. Carbohydrates contain about 4 calories per gram. Fat contains about 9 calories per gram.

Function of Carbohydrates?

The main function of carbohydrates is to provide your body with energy. Carbohydrates usually provide about have of your body's energy when your resting or performing a low-level activity.

Where are Carbohydrates?

Carbohydrates are found in breads, pastas, candy, sodas, wines, beer, fruits.

Carbohydrates in our bodies?

When carbohydrates are in our body, they are being broken down and used as energy. When the body doesn't need to use the carbohydrates for energy, it stores them into the liver and muscles. When carbohydrates are stored in your liver and muscles, it is called glycogen. When the liver and muscles cells cannot store anymore glycogen, it is turned into fat.

When your body needs a quick boost of energy, it converts glycogen into energy. When it needs a prolonged burst of energy, it converts gat to energy.

Kinds of Carbohydrates?

Carbohydrates are divided into 2 groups: simple and complex.

Simple carbohydrates are also called simple sugars. Simple carbohydrates include: fructose (fruit sugar), sucrose (table sugar) and lactose (milk sugar), as well as several other sugars. Simple carbohydrates are great souces of quick energy.

Complex carbohydrates include fiber and starches. They can be found in vegetables, bread, rice, oatmeal, whole grains, peas and beans. Complex carbohydrates take longer to be digested, so your body needs more time to release these carbs into your blood as glucose.

The above was one of many articles on carbohydrates...this gives the basic idea of why and how our bodies use carbohydrates.

There is often great debate over carbohydrates and the only advice that I can give you is to do what is right for you.

I personally use a balance of carbs and protein (I have 6 seves of carbs per day and 4-5 of protein) I also have 3 serves of fruit and make sure I cut in on the 5 serves of veges.

Other people find that they do really well on the TF program and also just cutting down or out the carbs...it is something that is finding the balance for each individual

I know that this does not directly answer your question, but I hope it is some help to you, Amanda...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:00 pm

A great article there Ally.

As always it ultimately comes down to what your body needs and how it is affected by carbohydrates as well as your activity level. Some people are sensitive to carbs and can feel bloated so they may find limiting them an advantage for weightloss, which is what Kate was talking about.

Carbs are a macro nutrient in other words a major part of your nutrition. If you look at the food pyramid and see what you are supposed to eat the most of - carbs in the form of veges, legumes, cereals, bread, fruit, nuts. Veges can also be broken down to starchy carbs and fibrous carbs, it's the starchy ones that get a bad wrap. The other thing to keep in mind especially with processed carbs like bread and pasta is watch the serving size, I think this is actually what brings most people unstuck rather than the carb itself.

Personally my body has no problems with carbs and I can eat them with every meal and still lose weight, however, I make sure to watch the amount I have. But that is me and I also exercise a lot. I started out on lite n easy and although it is not promoted as such it is in fact a high carb diet 60%+ of total food are carbs. I know this cause I used calorie king to chart my food before I came off it to get myself used to calorie counting. Since coming off that and doing it myself I chose to reduce that amount as I wanted to increase my protein intake.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:12 pm

Yeah I do get bloated if I eat white bread etc Kim. I understand what Kate was talking about there. I too can alternate my carbs on the program I am on...I can exchange up to 2 carbs for protein (if that makes sense) So whereas I have 6 carbs serves per day, and 4-5 protein I can decrease my carbs to 4 serves and increase the protein 6-7 serves!! I find that this is particularly helpful when I am "due" for TTOTM as I find carbs really bloat me around this time!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:46 am

I too have cut out nearly all the carbs from my diet and replaced it with protein. The main thing I have noticed since I started doing this is that I am rarely hungry anymore :o I am wrapt since beforehand I was ravenous 24/7!

I think it has something to do with the blood sugar fluctuations that are caused by the carbs (which are broken down into glucose ultimately I guess).
SarahC

Postby yummymummy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:55 am

Im a big believer in the low GI principle, Ive cut potato, white flours, sugar and white rice from my diet and replaced it with wholemeal breads, basmatic rice(only occasionaly) wholegrains and I always make sure I have protien with each meal. I found I felt awful on a no carb diet and regained the weight very quickly as soon as some carbs re-entered my diet. Its worked for me and I feel healthy energetic and dont have the cravings I have had for years!!!!
:) Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby KimE » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:11 pm

Another thing to think on is the quality of the carbs you have.

For example, sweet potato, brown rice, oatmeal, legumes are a better choice than wholemeal/grain breads and wholemeal flours, which in turn are a better choice than white bread, white rice, white flours.

Put 100g of sweet potato up against 100g of grain bread and you will find a huge difference in the carbs not to mention the cals. So adding starchy carbs closer to their natural state may work better for some people without adding a heap of carbs like bread can.

I don't know...so much of this really is trial and error and finding what your body works well with whilst still maintaining some sort of balance.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:32 pm

I agree Kim!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby hushpuppy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:41 am

i love my carbs and cutting back is something im working on . i Just gotta kick it
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Jisgone » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:49 am

I've been thinking about this carb/no carb thing a bit and have decided that carbs are slowing my weight loss down alot. I seem to have carbs in every meal and snack just because i think i need it to fill me up which of course isnt true. So...
I have decided to go carb free until christmas day! with the hope of losing 9 kilos in 6.5 weeks, its gonna be tough but i'll let everyone in my family know so they can drag me off before i eat any!
Jisgone

Postby KimE » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:15 pm

I don't know if you can really go carb free. Carbs are in so much of our food. Jewles do you mean starchy carb free? Like potatoes, bread, rice that sort of thing.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi jewles i agree with kim there are a certain amount of carbs in most things- even vegies! if you steer clear of breads and pastas i knwo what you mean. fingers crossed that weight comes off for you, if not dont fret,
kate_turner2000

Return to Weight loss Talk