It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:21 am

Free Newsletter

Why am I gaining weight this week??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why am I gaining weight this week??

Postby ganymede » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:41 am

Well, for the first week in a long time, I have gained weight for no reason! No reason being that I'm still eating within my calories and exercising everyday like I usually would but instead of losing weight, I am back up to 81.15kg yesterday and even higher today at 81.45kg :(

Does anyone know why this could be!? I know there is the "muscle gain" debate but on Saturday I weighed myself and I was down to 79.95kg! Since then it has only gone up...first I thought it was just fluctuations as I was back up to 80.6kg but now it just keeps creeping higher and higher and I just cannot understand why!!! I am feeling slimmer and my pants are lose so I was certain I had lost weight and then was so gutted to realise I had gained weight this week :cry: I had two days of union training which saw me sitting down from 9-4pm for two days this week but I still ate the same and exercised as much as usual so I doubt that could be a factor...

I could understand a plateau as I've almost lost 12kg now so it was only a matter of time but a gain???

Can anyone give me some peace and mind to why this could be happening? I'm not giving up, it's just really depressing when I'm working so hard :(

Thank you!

Shell
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Re: Why am I gaining weight this week??

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:13 pm

"Weight gain" doesn't necessarily mean fat gain. Chances are that your body may be storing water, or you may have been eating extra fibre over the past week or so that has been absorbing more moisture.

Keep an eye on your weight for a few more weeks, and also take measurements. You my find that the gains start disappearing rapidly without any change to your routines (like an elastic band snapping back) - in which case it was just your body mucking around a bit. As long as you keep on doing the right thing - eating well, but eating less than you need to maintain a stable weight - then in the long run it will be fine.
CronicBadger

Postby ganymede » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks so much CB! Elastic band is snapping back as we speak but ive definitely hit a plateau :( not giving in though as I'm certainly losing cm's and I'm feeling great and much fitter! Going to spice things up and change my food around a bit and doing a bit more exercise with intervs and see how that works for me! I hope I start losing again real soon!
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Linda Wooldridge » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:39 am

I would also look at perhaps zig zagging your calorie intake. Higher one day, lower the next (google it and you'll probably find a great plan on this). Your body is very clever and it can alter its metabolism depending on your calorie intake. If you eat the same amount of calories for an extended period of time, even if they are low, chances are your body will become more efficient and therefore your weight loss could plateau. The best way is to increase your metabolism by using interval training as well as weight training, and to keep your metabolism on its toes by constantly varying your calorie intake.
Linda Wooldridge

Postby Mandous » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:17 pm

I think their is some thing wrong between the diet and your exercise and these both things can
effect your weight, so take care of your diet plan and exercise for the ideal weight.
Mandous
Mandous

Return to Weight loss Talk