It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:54 am

Free Newsletter

New start freak out, help please!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

New start freak out, help please!

Postby jessmeow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:48 pm

So about this time last year I started my weight loss 'journey' by eating better and going to the gym. For various reasons around the begining of this year I started to slip off the bandwagon but it was ok until about Feb when I crashed and burned. Since then I've put back on almost all the weight I lost.

This probably isn't surprising to some and probably a well worn story for others but for me its never been like this. Yeah I've lost weight before and put it back on plus more in the past but the most I ever lost was about 5kgs - this time I'd lost 25kgs. I've put back on about 15-20 of those and while I obviously feel like I huge failure I want to get back on track again and loose it for good! (I have a lot more than 25 to loose btw). I'm not going back to the gym because I can't afford it but I have some equipment at home via relo's and I have a new eating plan ready but I'm kind of freaking out on the inside.

I understand it's probably because I'm worried I'll fail again but it's causing me serious stomach-in-knots anxiety! A fear of failure is the lamest excuse anyone could have for not starting something (be it weight loss or not) but part of me just keeps screaming "I'm not ready!" whereas last time I began it was seriously easy! I even had a half eated packet of M&Ms in the house that I didn't touch for months(!) because I just didn't need/want too but this time I'm struggling to make it through a single day.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? Have you experienced something similar yourself? Do you think you have to be "ready" to do it because once I would have said yes but now I don't know. One the one hand I don't feel ready at all but on the other hand I don't want to wait.

Heeeelllppp meeee! D:
jessmeow

Re: New start freak out, help please!

Postby yogibbear » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Sounds to me like you need to accept that sustainable weight loss is about a lifestyle change. It isn't something that you do for a finite period of time. You need some mini lifestyle change goals that you can implement 1 at a time and stick to for the rest of your life. Each change, no matter how small, will slowly but surely change where you body weight naturally wants to be. Sure, the progress won't be as dramatic as you want, but it definitely won't come back on. E.g. for me so far the things i've implemented since doing a lifestyle overhaul have been:
-take multivitamin everyday
-drink more water
-take omega 3 tablets everyday
-keep an exercise diary (no matter how much blank space there is)
-have a weight programme that I stick to. Literally 20-25 mins of weights in front of the tv. 12-15 reps of each exercise. Only about 9 exercises.

Things I'm trying to implement into my routine:
-pilates (increase flexibility & strength to minimise injuries from running)
-running (cycling through some terrible shin splints at the moment so it's not a habit yet)
-squash every sunday morning (pretty close to nailing this one)
-making better choices for lunch

Things I'm yet to solve:
-terrible sleep patterns
-typically skip breakfast on weekdays due to starting work early

Now what you should do is ignore all of the stuff I've done and instead think of 1 thing that you are going to implement into your life for the rest of your life and start doing it! Then once you've conquered that, add another thing. Ad nausem.
yogibbear

Postby Linda Wooldridge » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 am

I really think that exercise is the big key with weight loss. Of course nutrition is very important, but when you look at the fact that its all about calories in versus calories out, you can minimize the damage of the naughty food you eat by making sure your exercise regime is burning more calories than you eat. The key with exercise is consistency. I work out at home with fitness DVDs cause this means I have no excuse! I also get bored easily so I like to have a large variety of dvds so it's like having a new personal trainer in the comfort of your own home every day. I love fitness dvds so much that I even started my own website selling them!
I know some people say they don't like fitness dvds, but now adays there are so many different styles to choose from that i just think "what's not to like". There are personal training style dvds like Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels from the biggest loser and there are heaps of Pilates, yoga and pretty much anything else you can think of. With the dollar being so high at the moment you can also buy from overseas and tap into even more titles.
I would definitely start getting into a habit of exercizing 5 days a week and challenging yourself more and more with each session. Include a variety of cardio, weight training, pilates and yoga so that you are working all different muscle groups.
Exercise will increase endorphins which will also help you feel better about yourself and will make it more likely that you will stay on the weight loss band waggon.
Linda Wooldridge

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:45 am

jessmeow wrote:So about this time last year I started my weight loss 'journey' by eating better and going to the gym. For various reasons around the begining of this year I started to slip off the bandwagon but it was ok until about Feb when I crashed and burned. Since then I've put back on almost all the weight I lost.

This probably isn't surprising to some and probably a well worn story for others but for me its never been like this. Yeah I've lost weight before and put it back on plus more in the past but the most I ever lost was about 5kgs - this time I'd lost 25kgs. I've put back on about 15-20 of those and while I obviously feel like I huge failure I want to get back on track again and loose it for good! (I have a lot more than 25 to loose btw). I'm not going back to the gym because I can't afford it but I have some equipment at home via relo's and I have a new eating plan ready but I'm kind of freaking out on the inside.

I understand it's probably because I'm worried I'll fail again but it's causing me serious stomach-in-knots anxiety! A fear of failure is the lamest excuse anyone could have for not starting something (be it weight loss or not) but part of me just keeps screaming "I'm not ready!" whereas last time I began it was seriously easy! I even had a half eated packet of M&Ms in the house that I didn't touch for months(!) because I just didn't need/want too but this time I'm struggling to make it through a single day.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? Have you experienced something similar yourself? Do you think you have to be "ready" to do it because once I would have said yes but now I don't know. One the one hand I don't feel ready at all but on the other hand I don't want to wait.

Heeeelllppp meeee! D:

Hiya,

It sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself this time to lose weight.

And what you said about 'fear of failure' is so true to many. It really can be 'fight or flight'!

A few Q's for you to honestly answer:

*Have you sat down to write a plan of attack?
*Do you have you any support from partner, family or friends?
*How many times a week were you hitting the gym before you burned out?

Let me know & I will do my best to get you motivated.

Best Wishes

Ben
Feeling healthy and feeling good about yourself is not a luxury - it's an absolute necessity.
Ben

Return to Weight loss Talk