It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Free Newsletter

Feeling depressed

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Feeling depressed

Postby Sab » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Hello,

I started my journey on the 24th July. A straight out cut of szoft drink, sugars and binge eating.

I have cut down to a shake in the morning a peice of fruit for morning tea, salad for lunch (no dressing or cheese) and a weight watchers dinner. I am drinking plenty of water and walking 1.5-3km a day.

Thinking I was doing really well, i went for my 1st weight in and only lost 1kg in the 17 days. I feel depressed as that's not what i expected with such a dramatic change. Going from 3-4000 calories down to under 1000 a day plus adding excercise.

Can someone tell me this is gonna get better coz right now i feel like"Why bother" Ive been slugging my guts out with a minor result. I thought i would lose a huge amount in the first few weeks/months going from bad eating, snacking and no excercise....
Sab

Re: Feeling depressed

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Sab, eating less than your body needs will result in your fat stores being used to make up for the deficit in energy.

Your increase in exercise will result in increased muscle mass. Muscles weigh more than fat per volume, so your weight from fat loss is being replaced with muscle. But since muscles only grow to fulfill the extra exercise requirements, you will soon hit a point where no more muscle is added and your weight will begin to plummet - faster in fact due to the extra muscle requiring more energy than usual!

Also, if you have added more fibre to your diet there will be extra water retention in your digestive system. This is also good news.

So, to sum up, you are probably losing fat normally, but the fat loss is being hidden up by other positive changes such as muscle regrowth and better hydration. Stay the course and within a few more weeks you should begin to see the result of all your efforts. Don't focus on your scales exclusively, focus more on how you feel and how clothing fits.

Keep up the good work!
CronicBadger

Postby Sab » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Yeah I know, Ive been told that but I still feel like crap. Im gonna keep it up, but gee - this is one SUPER HARD battle. Im so disheartened today with my 1kg loss, i was hoping for a lot more - seems I need to try and not expect or "want" a loss... but that's really hard to do.

Thanks for your thoughts and taking the time to reply. It's muchly appreciated.
Sab

Postby bjam » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Too few calories will slow your metabolism and make you feel flat and make everything harder - it is about reducing to less than you are burning so that you are going to have weight loss, but not so much that you are going to shock your system and make yourself feel terrible (this is probably not helping your mood any)

Less than 1000 is too few, infact most guides say dont go under 1200... and especially as you are exercising along with this you will be putting yourself into an even greater deficit...

IMO eat a little more - add a snack or add some seeds to your salad - you dont need to cut everything to have a weight loss diet, it is more about being very aware of them and having less of everything - like cheese I will still have but I have 10-15g and it becomes the calorific part of my salad... Alternately I will add half an avocado for some calories etc - it is about finding what you can eat and what you want to eat at each meal to make up enough calories rather than cutting everything and seeing what is left...

If your eating more and feeling more energetic because your body isnt going into a bit of a metabolic shutdown you are more likely to be happy sticking to the diet for longer and may even see the weight come off faster if you find the right balance of not too many and not too few cals :)

This is just a potential thing you can do - it sounds like you have made some excellent changes and progress already though! And its not all about the scale - though im sure that will start moving soon too!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6WMitp/]
[/url]
bjam

Postby Shay » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Never go under 1200 calories. You'll force your body into starvation mode and nothing will happen.
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby Linda Wooldridge » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi there. I really think you cut your calories too drastically. If you eat less than your body requires just to exist and then also add exercise, your body will definitely go into starvation mode. Our bodies are designed to hoard fat for lean times, so when you shock your system by reducing your calorie intake so drastically it will hold on to all it can cause it doesn't know when you are going to start eating again. You have to trick your body into thinking that it isn't on a diet. The best way to do this is to zig zag your calorie intake so that your body never catches on to what you are doing. A really easy explanation of how to do this is to work out your daily weight loss calorie intake (there are many calculators on the net so just google it if you don't already know what it is). Then you multiply by 7 to get the amount of calories you should eat for the whole week. Then plan your daily calorie intake so that one day is higher, the next lower, then one mid-range etc. until you use up all your calories for the week. Some people eat two high days, followed by two low days or alternate between high and low days. You can play with it to see what suits you best. This is not only great for tricking your body into releasing fat, but it means you can plan your week so that your high days fall on the weekend or when you are planning on eating out. It is also great psychologically cause on your high days you can even have a bit of a treat. :D
Linda Wooldridge

Postby priteshppt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Hello,

You are doing great at your eating habits , doing exercise regularly and have loose only 1 kg in last 17 day's...Is it reason why you are worried?
It happens sometimes there is nothing strange. Some people are very frequent for loosing and gaining weight. Its body nature. In your case you need to increase your workout and have to take more healthy food. Everything will be fine soon...
priteshppt

Postby Grapefruit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 pm

I also agree that you are not getting enough calories. I know it sounds crazy, but you need to eat more to lose more in your case! A good starting place would be to cut down to say 1700 calories for a few weeks, then go down 100 calories every few weeks till your around 1300-1400. Another danger you face is a very very early plateau. With a plateau you need more 'ammo' in the way of cutting calories and stepping up the exercise. With only consuming 1000 calories, you've run out of ammo right there and then for the future.

You don't become overweight over night and you sure as hell don't get skinny overnight. It takes time, as frustrating as it is, you just have to be patient.

Next time you're in the supermarket, hold your hand 4 blocks of 250gr butter and remember that USED to be on your body...when you look at it like that, 1kg is a very good loss.

Also be aware of other positive changes you notice such as clearer skin, more energy, increased fitness. These are all wonderful changes that you should embrace, not just what pops up on the scale.

The following diet for 1 day would leave you feeling more full with more energy, more satisfied and will help you to lose weight much easier as you're putting wholesome, nutritious food into your body while still sticking to a low cal intake.

Breakfast
2 weet-bix with lite milk and 1/2-1tsp sugar

Snack
1 punnet strawberries

Lunch
Ham/chicken/turkey (lean) and salad sandwhich with low fat cheese on wholemeal and seeds burgen bread. This bread is low cal, high fibre, high protien and many GOOD fats.

Snack
Low sugar low fat yoghurt (such as yoplait forme range) and a slim secrets bar (protein)

Dinner
100-150gr grilled lean meat with 1 scoop mashed potato (you can add in 1/2-1tsp low fat butter) and lots of steamed veggies such as cauliflower, broccoli, choko, zucchini etc

Snack
WW fruit and jelly

Now that is only 1400 calories or so, so you could even add in a bit more food.

A cup of warm water with a slice of lemon in the morning will kickstart your metabolisim for the day and at night will curb cravings. Drink at least 2 litres of water a day and try not to eat after 8pm, or at least 2 hours before bed. Get at least 8 hours of sleep of a night and start to explore different exercises that you enjoy and will keep you motivated. Some suggestions are DVD's - there is a huge range available that is fun, gets you sweating and burning calories AND you can do it in the privacy of your own home! Gym classes are great such as step, body pump, body combat, pilates, yoga etc. Cardio at the gym such as treadmill, stepper, bike, x trainer. Incorportate some weights. Swimming, skipping, throwing a frisbee, doing a home circuit of calisthenics such as push ups, sit ups, mountain climbs, squats, lunges, star jumps, jogging on the spot etc. Wherever possible pump up your fave music that gets you going, makes it so much more fun!

Whatever you do, you have to enjoy it and have a bit of fun along the way or it's just too hard and it just won't work.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby raymondebontrager » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:05 am

Sab wrote:Hello,

I started my journey on the 24th July. A straight out cut of szoft drink, sugars and binge eating.

I have cut down to a shake in the morning a peice of fruit for morning tea, salad for lunch (no dressing or cheese) and a weight watchers dinner. I am drinking plenty of water and walking 1.5-3km a day.

Thinking I was doing really well, i went for my 1st weight in and only lost 1kg in the 17 days. I feel depressed as that's not what i expected with such a dramatic change. Going from 3-4000 calories down to under 1000 a day plus adding excercise.

Can someone tell me this is gonna get better coz right now i feel like"Why bother" Ive been slugging my guts out with a minor result. I thought i would lose a huge amount in the first few weeks/months going from bad eating, snacking and no excercise....

You know what good results cannot be achieved in just a blink of an eye..you need to work for it very hard...just be patient..don't lose hope...be motivated every time..who's know maybe a month from now or two you could see the results.
raymondebontrager

Postby nathanjbrown1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Sab don't lost hope...just what raymondebontrager said be motivated at all the time...think always the positive side..no matter what you achieve at this time..just pursue what you are doing.
nathanjbrown1

Return to Weight loss Talk