It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:28 pm

Free Newsletter

Locational Body Dysmorphia?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Locational Body Dysmorphia?

Postby MissE » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:55 am

Hi folks!
Locational Body Dysmorphia is a psychological problem I 'invented' recently. I was wondering how many people had it?
Body Dysmorphia is where you 'see' your body very different to the reality, right? Well LBD is where you see it differently depending on your location. You look in the mirror at home and you look great!
But you go out, walk past a mirror or a shop window and realise you actually look horrid...
It happens to me ALL the time!! I'll be so confident when I'm getting ready to go out, then as soon as I'm somewhere where my confidence may drop, I see myself completely differently!
And I swear seeing myself in a better light at home leads to me eating things I shouldnt and not caring about losing weight..

Naming it was just a bit of fun, putting a fancy name to what I think is a common problem :D

So is it common? sound familiar to anyone?
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:56 am

haha i know what you mean elyn

i will get dressed and do my makeup and hair at home and then go out and use the bathroom at some establishment and i looked horrible and i cant believe i walked out in public looking the way i did! also my fatherinlaw took some photos of us the other day whilst we were playing in the park at newcastle and when i saw them i thought 'jeez i definately need to lose more weight thats disgusting' lol.
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:07 am

Yeah I do it all the time!!! It is disheartening, but if you put a positive spin on it...Geez if I look like that, what did I look like before I lost the weight...to give you the motivation to go and lose more!! That is the way I look at it now..I used to get all down and go home and eat stuff that I knew I shouldn't, but now I realise it defeats the purpose and helps me to keep plugging away to see a reflection one day that I am going to be proud of!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:33 am

I know what you're describing Elyn and a great name you've put to it by the way. I used to hate it when I would get dressed thinking I looked OK if not great and then pass by a shop window and catch a real glimpse....depressing to say the least.

I must admit this is happening less for me now. I am slowly getting to like the new me but it isn't easy after not liking the way I looked for so long, it's almost like that attitude to myself has become a habit rather than based on what I really look like. And Kate I understand what your saying about the photos it's hard to really appreciate it yourself isn't it.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby yummymummy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:12 am

Fab name I so get that often !!I hate those glimses I get of myself when your out and about and you think is that really what I look like??
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby slimmindown » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 am

I do that all the time,especially when I'm out walking and I look in the shop window , it certainly makes me walk faster :lol:
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Hayley » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:57 am

:lol: Ha ha ha, LOVE the name you've given that common 'problem'. Yes, I too know exactly what you mean. I wonder why we look different in photos, shop windows or fitting room mirrors, compared to the ones we have at home? I absolutely hate it, it makes you feel so down at times! I can't wait until that doesn't happen any more......I do you think it will ever go away??? :?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby Mandie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:20 am

hahah me too. I get into my gym gear, think I look okay in the mirror, get to the gym, and see my reflection in the mirror and just wanna hide in the bathroom!

Don't though, because I figure being at the gym will help me change my reflection for the better hehe :lol:
Mandie

Postby ~Ash~ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:04 pm

lol, i know exactly what you're talking about! i think it must happen to everyone... it's hard to know what u really look like - i'm positive i look different just in the different mirrors in my house..
Go team MAGENTA!!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
~Ash~

Postby masm » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:14 pm

My sister had a similar issue with downlights in changerooms making you look fat. She was going to start a group called WADL - Women against down lights, apt name dont you think :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
masm

Postby KimE » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:35 pm

WADL....I love it. Very good name. :lol:
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:03 am

I have downlights on my bedroom mirrors. I had a guy come to my place and design the lighting. I TRIED to explain to him, but to no avail... downlights it was to be! Great, now I have discovered cellulite that I never knew I had :(

Men :roll:
SarahC

Return to Weight loss Talk