It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

weight loss by running

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

weight loss by running

Postby schylarker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:59 am

i am a 16 year old asian male
140 pounds and about 5foot 9inches

ive been running for a total of 9 days for about 15-20 minutes a day
i also have been eating no snacks and avoided processed foods
so i was wondering if i would lose weight from this routine or would i need to run a bit more each day?
schylarker

Re: weight loss by running

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:01 am

Not snacking and avoiding the processed crap are the big ones!
Some more exercise would be good - it doesn't have to be running though. See if you can work some resistance training in, like weights, a few times a week. This will help build muscle and muscle burns calories.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby workoutdvdworld » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:56 pm

If you didn't do any other exercise before then you will definitely see some results from your routine. However, snacking isn't all bad! It is good to eat little and often, so snacking on healthy options can actually help increase your metabolism. Apart from running i would definitely include some weight training so that you are building lean muscle, which will further increase your metabolism! :D
workoutdvdworld

Postby schylarker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:48 am

what are some healthy snack choices?

and when i see nutrition facts, what are some of the things i need to avoid or look for?
for example, ive been avoiding too much calories and fat, but i dont know much about this..
schylarker

Postby schylarker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:55 am

and also what i dont understand is to lose weight i would have to burn about 3500 calories more than i take in.
and how does that work if i never get to that?
i think running at my amount wouldnt even go over 500 calories
so whats the relationship between metabolism, calorie burn, and weight loss? this is so hard!!
schylarker

Postby priteshppt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Hello,

Maintain your current routine for few more days and watch your progress if you find it less as per your expectations then you need to increase and also never increase it within one days take some time and gradually reach to a big score.
priteshppt

Postby schylarker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 am

i have been increasing my distance everyday from day one. now i run about 3x the distance i had ran on the first day
schylarker

Postby workoutdvdworld » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:02 am

Some low calorie snack options are: air popped pop corn, low fat flavored rice crackers, wasabi dried peas, pretzels, rice cakes with some sort of savory spread or the flavored rice cakes. If you can get away from just eating dry snacks you could also add some low fat cheese, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, vegetable sticks with hummus or other low calorie dips.

This is a great link to help you decipher nutritional information:
[Removed commercial link]

In terms of burning more calories than you eat you have to remember that your body burns calories in your day to day life not only when you are exercising. Go to the following link to calculate your basal metabolic rate (or the amount of calories you burn at rest) that way you can figure out how many calories you need to burn with exercise and how many you should be eating:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

For some more exercise ideas and advice you can visit the following site:
[Removed commercial link]
Last edited by CronicBadger on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Much of the information provided at those sites is already available here. What isn't could have been distilled into a paragraph or two and presented in the post.
workoutdvdworld

Postby Weight Secrets » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:03 am

Here is a short list of some healthy sweet snacks you can try:

Craving sweet?
1 package Original Apple Nature Valley Fruit Crisps (50 calories)
1 packet O'Coco's Mocha cookies (90 calories)
1 Jelly Belly 100-calorie pack (100 calories)
One 100-calorie Balance Bar (100 calories)
1 Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino bar (120 calories)
1 package Back to Nature Honey Graham Sticks (120 calories)
1/2 banana rolled in 1 tbsp frozen semisweet chocolate chips (123 calories)
2 tbsp Better 'n Peanut Butter, 4 stalks celery (124 calories)
24 Annie's Chocolate Chip Bunny Graham cookies (140 calories)
Half of a 1.08-oz container of M&M's Minis mixed with 1/3 cup lowfat granola (145 calories)
1 container Fage Greek Total 2% fat yogurt, 2 tsp honey (173 calories)
Last edited by CronicBadger on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed sig containing link.
Weight Secrets

Postby raymondebontrager » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 am

Metalcharm wrote:Not snacking and avoiding the processed crap are the big ones!
Some more exercise would be good - it doesn't have to be running though. See if you can work some resistance training in, like weights, a few times a week. This will help build muscle and muscle burns calories.

Your right metalcharm...I just add something for that maybe about a 30 mins of jogging could do so..I'm a athlete now,before I start as an athlete i weight about 80 kg..after some 30 mins jogging which is part of our training..maybe in about 2 months i lose 15-20 kg......plus I added to my routine in going Gym 4 times a week...I could see the improvement in my body.
raymondebontrager

Postby nathanjbrown1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:56 pm

raymondebontrager wrote:[Your right metalcharm...I just add something for that maybe about a 30 mins of jogging could do so..I'm a athlete now,before I start as an athlete i weight about 80 kg..after some 30 mins jogging which is part of our training..maybe in about 2 months i lose 15-20 kg......plus I added to my routine in going Gym 4 times a week...I could see the improvement in my body.

raymondebontrager Sounds that your successful..From 80 kg to 60-65 kg...I'm a little bit curious about in gym..can you share what are your program in the gym..
nathanjbrown1

Return to Weight loss Talk