It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Free Newsletter

Advice needed - nothing is working!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Advice needed - nothing is working!

Postby Sisyphus » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:40 pm

I have gained and then lost large amounts of weight in the past, and now I'm trying to lose my last 8 kilos so that I can finally be happy at a healthy weight. But I'm always hungry!

I eat lots of whole grain and soluble fibre, lots of protein, very little saturated fat, and very little sugar. (I basically eat fresh fruit & veg, lean meat, wholegrain bread, etc.) I also go to the gym 3-5 times a week every week and work up a good sweat for about half an hour. I drink plenty of water and take multivitamin and fish oil supplements.

Based on my height and current weight, my resting metabolic rate is around 1400 calories a day, so I'm trying to only eat a net amount of 1300 calories a day. My problem is that if I don't eat at least 1700 calories a day, I get hungry - not just a little bit hungry, but so hungry I start to shake and can't concentrate.

I can't lose weight - in fact I'm putting on weight - because I get unreasonably hungry, even when I'm eating more calories than I need for the day.

Any ideas? I'll try anything!
Sisyphus

Re: Advice needed - nothing is working!

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:23 am

Hiya,

It sounds like your set on sticking to your resting metabolic rate (1400 calories).
But, surely with all the exercise you do this figure means you can get away with actually consuming more calories because of your activity level being moderate to high.

Please let me know so that I can try to understand your habits, what exactly do you eat & how many meals a day?

Best wishes

Ben
Feeling healthy and feeling good about yourself is not a luxury - it's an absolute necessity.
Ben

Postby Sisyphus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:56 am

When I say 1400, I mean a net amount - so if I eat 1400 calories and do 300 calories' worth of exercise, I can eat 1700 calories and still end up with a net intake of 1400. Does that make sense? :roll:

I would assume that my resting metabolic rate was higher than I calculated, except that I'm not actually losing any weight - when I only eat as much as I need to feel comfortably full, or even just a little bit hungry, I either maintain weight or put on weight. It's driving me nuts!

Even if I manage to stick to my goal calorie intake, I don't lose weight.
Sisyphus

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Hiya,

I think because I'm not an advocate of calorie counting I find it hard to tell people not to worry about it!

It sounds like whatever your currently doing doesn't seem to be working. The main element to stop feeling hungry is to stagger your meals during the day, so that you're not going without food for more than 2-3 hours. :)

If you are still sticking to your calorie counting than you'll need to see which foods are actually better at warding off hunger & including those in your diet.

But do remember your brain takes 20 minutes to know that your stomach is full! :D So more times than often people will over-eat in one sitting instead of spreading your calories throughout the day.

Hope that helps :)

Ben
Feeling healthy and feeling good about yourself is not a luxury - it's an absolute necessity.
Ben

Postby patrickkallie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:19 am

One thing that works for me is to drink plenty of water and also eat more foods that have plenty of fiber because it will keep your appetite down. It also depends on the type of exercises that you are doing? If you are doing a lot of strength training your weight will naturally increase than compared with doing cardio based workouts.

Try this Sisyphus! It just may help?
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is against forum rules to use your signature to post promotional links.
patrickkallie

Postby workoutdvdworld » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:49 pm

It also really depends what foods you are eating to make up the 1400 calories. If you eat low GI foods that release energy slowly into your system, you will get hungry much less frequently. I know that certain foods that take a lot of energy to digest, but have very few calories, end up making me feel hungry! I find that with apples and carrots I am hungry a little while after I eat them. There is a theory about negative calorie foods, which use more calories to digest than they give your body.
Oatmeal is a huge filler. I find if I have toast for breakfast I am hungry within a few hours, but if I have even a modest serve of oatmeal, it keeps me full for hours. The calories in oatmeal are fine as long as you cook it with skim milk or water and use sweetener instead of sugar.
The other big key is to try and eat some form of protein with every meal. Protein keeps you full a lot longer than carbs and it is slower release energy so you won't get energy highs and then crashes (which usually leave you craving something sweet). Adding lean protein such as chicken breast, tuna, low fat cheese, cottage cheese, or other lean meats to your lunches and dinner especially, will help you to feel a lot fuller.
Another trick that I use a lot is filling up on low calorie drinks, fizzy diet drinks or even soda water with a bit of cordial in it, will trick your stomach into thinking it is full. If you have one of those before a meal, you will feel a lot fuller after you eat.
If nothing else works eat diet jelly or add psyllium husks to your food. It is a husk that expands in water, a bit like jelly, and it can be sprinkled on your food to help you feel fuller. If you put a spoon of psyllium in half a cup of water you will see that it soaks up the liquid and turns into a gelatine like substance. It's like a trick to your tummy.
So those are a few tips anyway. The main thing to remember is calories in versus calories out! If you are burning up heaps of calories with exercise then you can eat more and still lose weight! You can get a heart rate monitor that also calculates the amount of calories you are burning during exercise, so that way you can work out your daily calorie expenditure and adjust your diet accordingly.
workoutdvdworld

Postby priteshppt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Hello,

You feel hungry because your diet required 1700 calories a day but if you want to restrict it to the 1300 then you have to control your hunger for few days and after few weeks your diet will automatically demand only 1300 calories. Best way to reduce diet is to control. There is also another option we have, before 1/2 hour of dinner and lunch drink 2 glass water and then eat food, it will reduce your requirement.
priteshppt

Postby jane » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:57 am

I guess you should try reducing the amount of calories per day. That might help.. Although, I made sure, that NOT EATING after 6pm really helps. I thought about BAAs, that after reading not very positive reviews (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer- ... grams.html) I decided not ot use them. So, my advice is readucing the amount of calories and not eating after 6pm.
jane

Return to Weight loss Talk