It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:33 am

Free Newsletter

Lost 10 pounds in 1 month, is that within reason?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Lost 10 pounds in 1 month, is that within reason?

Postby thejohnphenomenon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:32 pm

I've been trying to lose weight for about a month now (well, it's probably been a lot longer than that, i don't remember when I started exactly) but I've only lost 10 pounds. And I don't see any real change in my appearance, or waist line. I guess I should mention that I'm in remission from Hyperthyroidism and that I haven't tried to lose weight for about a year. I've basically just been pigging out, and not really caring that I was fat. But it got a little too far so I decided to stop before I got too fat. I've put so much effort into it, that I felt that it wasn't worth it. I wasn't expecting to lose like 60 pounds, but I was hoping for at least 20 or 25 pounds. Allow me to try to explain my regimen.

I've been exercising for 30-80 minutes every day, alternating between jogging, swimming, and kickboxing on different days. I've cut down my food intake by like 70% and ive been eating twelve times the usual fruits and vegetable and half of my usual carbs. I barely ever eat anything "artificial" and almost everything I eat is low fat, low cal, low sugar etc etc. I eat small meals often, about every 2-3 hours because I heard that it improves your metabolism.

So, based from all of this, is 10 pounds in 1 month within reason, or should I be losing more weight? What am I doing wrong?

Re: Lost 10 pounds in 1 month, is that within reason?

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Just a few thoughts. I'm not an expert, so take my comments with a grain of salt and do some research. There are some excellent articles on the Web site attached to the Forum that go into detailed explanations about food energy and sustainable weight-loss.

Firstly, A monthly loss of 5 to 10 pounds (2.2 to 4.4 kilos) is generally considered to be a realistic target. Any more than 10 pounds per month requires unrealistic amounts of effort and medical supervision.

Dramatic initial weight-losses occur over the first few months of a diet, and medical studies all show that much, if not most, of the weight lost is in the form of water and muscle. Aim for steady losses. There will be times when NO weight loss occurs for up to several weeks and is often due to fat cells taking in water to maintain their volume after the fat content has been depleted.

You will still get fat if you eat to much fruit and vegetables. It doesn't really matter what a person eats - if more food energy is taken in than energy spent, then it will be stored as fat. Check your calorie intake and don't think that a diet of mostly fruit and veg is a licence to eat all you want. Instead, use this diet to form new life-long habits of restraint.

If you've lost 10 pounds in the first month then up to one third of that will not be fat. Once your body runs out of spare water and muscle to consume then your monthly losses will begin to accurately reflect your actual fat loss. On the other hand, all the exercise you have been doing may not only be rebuilding your muscle losses but adding to their bulk. Which is a good thing!

Fat loss (but not total weight loss) CAN be calculated fairly accurately as long as you know your basic energy requirements and your energy intake. There are web-based calculators for working these out. Basically, (YMMV) if a person restricts themselves to an average of 1200-1800 Calories per day with regular exercise then they can expect to lose about 10 pounds per month.

Postby Packman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Actually I think ten pounds is rather normal and shows that you are getting results. I'm not a fitness expert, but may I suggest adding some strength training to your workout regimen?

You don't have to train like a body builder either. Just do a few repetitions on various muscle groups, build them up and get them stronger.

While cardio exercises do burn fat, the benefit of having muscle is that it helps to increase your metabolism. If you've ever wondered why some people eat anything and not gain a pound, it's because of their high metabolism.

A good strength training workout followed by some cardio and healthy eating habits are a good way to increase the burn. Make sure that you are eating enough and drinking lots of water too.

There are some natural fat burning foods that you can also try. I can't remember off hand, but there are lots of websites that list them. Hope this helps.

Cheers :D
Last edited by CronicBadger on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spammy sig.

Postby priteshppt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 pm

First of all i am sorry for your situation. I would like to tell you that loosing fat was never easy if you have put on a lot, you need to have patience and hard work. First don't cut off your daily need and give required amount of food to body and if possible cut off junk food and all high calorie foods from your diet. Take vegetables and fruits as maximum as you can. Start exercises like running, swimming. Stop using vehicles for at least 2 km and prefer to walk. Don't seat at one place for longer, use stair case instead lift and elevators.try to be happy. I am sure soon you will realize a positive result.
Another way to reduce weight rapidly then go for surgery....

Return to Weight loss Talk