It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Free Newsletter

Varying exercises?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Varying exercises?

Postby Maddy's Mum » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:08 am

I am only on week 2 of my diet but, it is going really well and I am following Calorie King to the letter which is really helping. However, a work colleague told me that I must vary the type of exercise which I do each day to maximise weight loss and even, to maintain it, is this correct? I have a very busy lifestyle - who doesn't? and in order to get my exercise in each day I am getting up at 5.30am to walk the dog for at least 45 minutes, I am maintaining a speed of around 6kms but, this is all the exercise that I can get regularly. I also attend a Zumba class for an hour once per week. I am trying to keep costs to a minimum and I have a child and a full time job which involves 12 - 14 hour days at least once per week so I don't really want to join a gym.

Any ideas gratefully received...
SW: 71kg
W1: 68.7kg
W2: 69kg
W3: 67.9kg
W4: 67.6kg
W5: 66.6kg
MGW: 67kg ACHEIVED!! 6th October 2011 :)
W6: 66.0kg
W7: 65.1kg
W8: 65.1kg
W9: 65.4kg
W10: 64.7kg
GW:63kg

Maddy's Mum

Re: Varying exercises?

Postby Grapefruit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:40 am

I am a big believer in varying exercise for a few reasons:

* To burn more calories as different exercises burn different amounts of calories
* To keep things interesting and fun
* To work different muscles
* To keep your body on its toes so to speak as it can tend to get too comfortable with the same thing

The walking is great and early morning exercise really sets you up for the day, the Zumba is also great and i'll bet it is fun too!

A few low cost suggestions are:

* Skipping - this burns stacks of calories and gets the heart rate right up. There are many variations of skipping so you don't get board. A skipping rope will cost you around $10 and you can get an excellent workout done in just 10 minutes. You can youtube 'skipping exercises' and there are a lot of them out there so this will keep you aiming towards being able to do certain skips. At first you will probably find that 1-2 minutes has you pretty buggered, that's fine, just go for as long as you can, then give yourself a 30sec break but keep moving, so maybe doing half push ups, sit ups, light jogging or even marching on the spot, then when you catch your breath, go again. Doing this for just 10 mins to begin with and you will be surprised just how hard it is! Skipping is a full body workout. You can expect to feel the effects in your core mainly, but also legs and arms.

* Workout DVD's. Have a search for these on ebay. Find ones that you think you will enjoy, some suggestions are dance, kickboxing, cardio etc. If you spend some time searching you will find some for as little as $10 (especially if you buy from overseas).

* You can get a good home workout costing you not a cent. An example would be:

Warm up for a few minutes with a jog around the block or a few minutes skipping
Stretch
20 squats
20 push ups
30 crunches
20 mountain climbs
5 burpees
20 crunches
10 jump squats
20 star jumps
30 knee lifts

Do these exercises 2-3 times then do another jog or skip and then stretch for a cool down. Go hard at it, it will only take 10-20mins depending on your fitness level and for how long you warm up. Guarantee to work up a sweat if you go hard, nice short workout, perfect if you don't have much time and best of all it costs you nothing!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby Maddy's Mum » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for that Grapefuit - your help is invaluable! I shall give the exercises a go tomorrow and see how I get on. By the way - you are an inspiration as you are so clearly focused on your goal and so near to the target weight - well done!
SW: 71kg
W1: 68.7kg
W2: 69kg
W3: 67.9kg
W4: 67.6kg
W5: 66.6kg
MGW: 67kg ACHEIVED!! 6th October 2011 :)
W6: 66.0kg
W7: 65.1kg
W8: 65.1kg
W9: 65.4kg
W10: 64.7kg
GW:63kg

Maddy's Mum

Postby Grapefruit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks MM! My own weight loss is really slow these days but that's fine by me because i'm happy with where I am, I would just like to lose a little bit more off certain areas but am mainly focused on getting really fit so am exercising a lot, as well as of course watching what I am eating. I could get rid of those last few kgs in 3 weeks if I really wanted to, but am far happier just sailing along for now! Would love to hear how you go with the exercises and also how you feel the next day as you should feel it!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Return to Weight loss Talk