It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Fat-orexia?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Fat-orexia?

Postby Lilly88 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Not sure if that's the right spelling. Have you heard of this?
Apparently its the opposite to anorexia. You think you look thin when you look in the mirror.
That's me, totally think I look great or not that bad, but when I go shopping and try on those clothes, reality hits, I'm fat not skinny.

Is this you?
I am always looking for ways to keep my weight down. check out my blog http://www.ideasforweightloss.blogspot.com & http://www.squidoo.com/tips-for-dieting-and-eating-out
Lilly88

Re: Fat-orexia?

Postby CronicBadger » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:17 pm

It sounds just like my good old friend, "self-delusion". I'd look in the mirror, seem a bit chunky, and just tell myself I'm fine, just heavy-set and need to lose a "few" kilos sometime later, "...my proportions are fine!". I think it's sort of got to do with how people compare themselves with ideal models. In my case the model was some poorly-defined "inside-self" rather than a standard normal healthy lean male form.

Now that I've lost a lot of weight I realise what an idiot I was in the past to not compare myself to the optimum shape and weight for good health and social acceptance (yeah, sounds facile, but that's a very important factor to happiness).
CronicBadger

Postby AbelAbbot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:50 pm

I believe that if diets don’t work then a person needs to resolve the situation in a way that makes them happy. FATorexia is about control, moderation and choice.
AbelAbbot

Postby annaham » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Oh my gosh YES! I still think like this, its hard to stop. I look at myself in the mirror and think, hey, I just look curvy. It could be because I don't have an 'obvious' flaw (like no big bum, no saddle bags, etc) so its easy to just think I look alright. Then I look at photos and think 'man why do people have to post pictures of me when I have a double chin?? I TOTALLY DON'T HAVE ONE!!'
Hmm...

Week 1 to 10: -5.6kg

Week 11: -0.2kg
Week 12: -0.1kg
Week 13: -0.6kg
Week 14: -0.5kg
Week 15: +0.1kg
annaham

Return to Weight loss Talk