It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:41 am

Free Newsletter

Disheartened and confused - Help please

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Disheartened and confused - Help please

Postby mk220209 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a 29 year old female who has somewhat struggled with maintaining a healthy weight for the best part of my life with my greatest weight loss taking place in the last 3-4 years. Just prior to getting married I dropped about 15kg due to following a strict no carb diet (little silly) and the stress associated with organising a wedding etc... In the past few years I have maintained this weight loss quite well considering I have since given birth to a now 2.5 year old. I decided around 3 weeks ago to embark on an excercise plan to help lose a pesky 3 -4 kg that will not budge. We purchased a treadmill and for 3 weeks I have been undertaking a daily routine of around 40mins on the treadmill. I walk between 6.3km/hour and 6.5km/hour for 4 mins and then run at 9km/hour for 1 min and go back to my 4 min walk and back to my 1 min run. I do 3 rounds of this and then maintain a walking speed of anything above 6.3 until around 40 - 45mins have elapsed, this equals around 4.6km including a bit of a warm up and cool down. I vary my work out by doing Zumba (Cardio Party) for 50 mins on the days I don't feel like walking on the treadmil. I have been doing this daily workout (either the treadmil or Zumba) for 25 days straight now. I have not really adjusted my eating habits as I still maintain a very low carb diet. With this in mind I thought that I would lose something because I was doing absolutely NO excercise what so ever (unless you count running after a 2 year old). I am sorry to say that I have not lost a gram infact I have put on weight!!! I have put on weight...this is certainly not my goal and because I have been ensuring that I have been participating in cardio activity not weights or anything I am really confused and very disappointed in myself. I am 164cm tall and currently weigh 71.4kg!!! Please help :)

Re: Disheartened and confused - Help please

Postby workoutdvdworld » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Cardio exercise requires glucose as its preferred fuel source so perhaps you are just not eating enough Carbs for your body to function properly with the added stress of exercise. Carbs are like the tinder that helps to ignite the fat. If you have very little carbs in your system then your body will find it very difficult to burn fat and it will rather convert your lean muscle tissue into glucose for it to use as energy. You definitely do not want your body to cannibalize your muscle tissue.
Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does, so the more muscle your body has the more calories you can eat without putting on weight. If you want to burn fat during your workout it is important to eat enough carbohydrates to fuel your body during the workout. So it really depends on what time you usually work as to when you need to be eating more carbohydrates. If you want to eat shortly before your workout you can eat simple carbohydrates such as fruit. This won't make you feel heavy, but it will give you a supply of glucose in your blood stream very quickly. It takes about 20-30 minutes for fruit to be digested. If you prefer to eat a few hours before your workout then opt for complex carbohydrates such as oatmeal or a high fibre cereal (breakfast), a wholemeal sandwich with lean protein and salad (lunch), lean protein and vegetables including pumpkin, potato, sweetcorn or peas as your carbohydrate (dinner).
It may sound scary to someone that has been on low carbs for a long time, but this may just be the key!
Focus on calories in versus calories out. Protein generally can have quite a lot of calories because it naturally contains more fat than carbohydrate. Even if you buy the leanest meat, it will still likely have 8% fat. You may be better off working out your weight loss calorie level and then getting yourself a calorie counter to work out a balanced menu plan to help you lose weight healthily.
It may be just what your body needs to shake it out of that weight loss plateau!

Postby jcamorgan » Sat May 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Doing cardio is great and very important for your general health. However, you need add some muscle building exercises to your routine. All energy is produced in the muscle cells by various bio-chemical processes. If you have more muscle fibre, it will increase your base metabolic rate, which means burning more calories per day - even in your sleep!

Postby Neo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi there,

There may be many reasons why you have put on some weight.
It may be as simple as simply eating more than you normally do because of appetite changes due to new exercise formats. It may be added water weight. I don't know. Your first task is to look in the mirror - do you think you are looking better, as you always were or worse off with the weight gain. This will offer you further insight in further questions.

If you look better - then there is no problem! disregard the weight gain and keep going.
If you look the same, then keep going still and monitor your progress.
If you look worse, then you need to investigate now what other changes you may have made in unioson with the exercise.

As already advised on forum, carbs are needed. In fact - they are not the enemy people make them out to be. A low fat diets may work in the short term and even medium term - but long term, not so much. And anyway, who wants to live a life without fresh home made bread!

Give me the bread.

Return to Weight loss Talk