It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:34 am

Free Newsletter

Yet another Try

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Yet another Try

Postby Livy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:08 am

Well girls, I am now trying another weightloss plan! I have been on so many this year, what's one more!
I was actually going to go on Southbeach, but I am still waiting for the book, and am becoming disheartened at my constant yo-yoing.

Yesterday I bought this new program from Calorie King which is like a computor program about weightloss. It tells you the EXACT portions, and what each food specificially (down to the letter like a calorie counting book) is worth in calories. I have NEVER counted calories before, and I have NEVER had the correct portions shown to me. This program tells you exactly what you are eating as far as fat and everything else.
It has graphs to show you where you are each day as far as food intake and energy output, it's really cool! I have no measuring tools though, only a cup and a quarter cup (measuring cups) which I will use as a rough guide. Last night, I did a bowl of how much curry and noodles I would normally eat, and the portion I should have eaten with the proper portion. I am eating about 4 times the amount I should be eating!! Amazing huh?
Mum always dished out big meals to us as kids, as she was always hungry as a child, and because I am a plate cleaner, I can never leave food on the plate, hence me becoming so totally fat. So, it will be interesting to see just what happens when I start eating the right portions, and recording every single thing that goes into my mouth!
Hopefully, you will all see that ticker move FINALLY! Maybe it will be a complete waste of time like everything else I have failed to stick to. But hey, it's worth a try, and it's something I havent' tried yet.
:) Liv
Livy

Postby Kylie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:16 am

Good Luck Livy. I use calorieking.com.au to try to work out how many calories are in the food I eat. I am not sure about the portion sizes though, can you fill me in on that? What size are we meant to have?
Kylie

Postby Ally » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:45 am

Hey Livy my mum was exactly the same as yours and this is why I want my kids to grow up knowing portion sizes!!! If they say to me that they are full or not hungry I don't push them. It is called "portion distortion"and it unfortunately affects many of us.

The sad fact of life is that many of the "diets" we try out usually end up in disaster as they are more often than not designed to lighten our wallets more so than our bodies...sure they work to lose weight quickly and are usually really radical diets, but in reality they are hard to stick to and are not meant as permanent lifestyle changes.

I wish you well with the calorie king!! There are a couple of people here who use it very successfully....Keep us updated Livy!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:26 am

hi livy best wishes mate with the calrie counting. i know a few people here use the calorie king software and enjoy it :) it sometimes takes awhile to find what really works for you in terms of weightloss. i agree with ally, portion sizes are important. i always offer heidi food at meal times and if she doesnt eat or if she makes a mess and plays with it (which babies do) i dont force her. i know she is healthy and eats when she is hungry and she lets me know when she has had enough. :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:39 am

Good on you Livy, good luck!

I've been using CalorieKing for a while and it's great - you can put your exercise in as well as your food, and it shows you a balance.. that's my favourite bit!

So if I snack a bit extra, I can see how much exercise I need to do to balance it up for the day!

Have fun with it, I think its fantastic!
Mandie

Postby Ally » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:40 am

Do they tell you how much you need to eat on that program...for eg. The bigger you are the more calories you need to consume to lose weight over a smaller person????
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi Livy I also use calorieking software and find it fantastic. It doesn't have every single item but if you come across something you can add it into the custom foods area.

Portion size is one of those key factors for weightloss. Get your portions under control and stick to them and that's half your battle I reckon. Kylie I tend to read the packets for the serving size most of them tell you what it is, eventhough often the packet is more than 1 serving. :roll: Fruit = 1 medium sized pce of fruit, 25grams of dried fruit. Veges = 1 cup of salad or 1/2 cup of cooked. Meat = 100-120grams. I got this info from the Australian Calorie Countier book.

Ally the software does allow for a higher calorie intake depending on your weight which is good as you don't want your body running into starvation mode. You put in your details at the beginning and then you can take their recommendations or set your own. You can even go so far as to set percentages or calorie amounts for protein, fat and carbohydrates. It also lets you track other nutrients such as sodium, cholesterol, saturated fats, calcium etc.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:52 pm

Thanks Kim!
[/url]
Ally

Postby Groovychic » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:34 am

That sounds like a pretty good tool. And portion sizes do tend to be our main problem. I know I was eating way too much at tea time. Lunch was not so much a problem but I would always dish out a huge tea for myself and eat it all. I am starting to make that smaller but it isnt much smaller yet. I have to really think about it when I am dishing up tea. I wish you good luck with this one Livvy. And be positive. And once you get that portion size under control I am sure you will see a difference. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby SarahC » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:29 am

Good luck Livy. The software seems really great :D

I have a really good set of kitchen scales that I find very helpful for determining portion sizes... and it stops me from piling up my plate so high that things fall off the side :lol: :roll:
SarahC

Postby ossabelli » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:02 am

Good luck! I love Calorie King, they seem to really know their stuff!
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAp9kdY/]
[/url]
ossabelli

Return to Weight loss Talk