It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Free Newsletter

delusional mind set

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

delusional mind set

Postby byebyefat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:41 pm

So delusional mind set is my thing to work on.
When I was 14-18years old, I thought I was fat everyday, I weighed between 48-53kg at any time through that age....
I took on this high pressure job for a few years, and I realised I put on weight and everyone commented but I look in the mirror and for some reason I thought I was ok.
Now I am 23 and 91.5kg. The scales I stand on tell me how fat I am, the clothes I use to wear no longer fit the zipper doesn't move, and still, I don't see how fat I am, for real. Until I try on old clothes or stand on the scales, the real eye opener for me is I took a white board marker and traced my outline in the mirror, then felt sick at how I look, and to be honest it's hard to see my own reality all the time.
I still feel fine but I am aware I look like a whale.
This is so weird cause when I was near normal in weight I was worried about being over weight, and now I am double my average weight or near that and yeah,.... you get it?
So I am working really hard right now to loose all this baggage.
Feeling not so great right now the last week, being over weight, has really hit home. I feel it and may not see it all the time unless it a photo or something but I know it is there and it has to go.

Re: delusional mind set

Postby workoutdvdworld » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:41 pm

There is definitely such a thing as seeing yourself as skinnier than you really are, just like a lot of people with eating disorders see themselves fatter than they actually are. There is also another syndrome where people lose weight and they still see themselves as they same weight as they were before. They call this phantom fat syndrome. It can take a while for the brain to catch up with the weight loss psychologically.
Here's an awesome article about a woman who went through the same thing as you: ... luded.html
I think the main thing to focus on is definitely getting healthy. And don't launch into an all out war against the bulge cause you will likely fall flat on your face. Make changes little by little. Start exchanging your unhealthy snacks with tasty healthier alternatives. Cut down on portion sizes. Incorporate a short walk into your schedule. All the little things will add up and it won't be too much of a shock to your system. That way you will slowly but surely lose the weight and be able to maintain the weight loss too.

Postby byebyefat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for that reply :)
I stood in the mirror today and swear I don't look fat, haha I am actually fat as I am 88kg I keep tracing my figure in the mirror with a white board marker, and when I step back it is like WTF.
I know just how much weight I have gained cause of the scales, doctor telling me to loose weight, family telling me to loose it, friends telling me to loose it.
kinda think to myself now, cause I was 50kg and now 88kg WTF have I done!?
This is a long road now, to get rid of it, I have my scales in front of my bathroom door so as soon as I step in or out I stand on them and remind my self just how fat I am.

Postby Maddy's Mum » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:06 am

Hi BBF - I think that I am similar to you in that when I look in the mirror I don't see the lumps and bumps and I see myself as a lean machine. So.....I have started to take photos of myself and then study them - they definately tell another story - the camera never lies (unfortunately)! It certainly doesn't help that I am NOT photogenic in any way but, it brings reality to my delusion and gives me the wake up call I need to push through the next week of the weight loss plan.

Maybe try it - I think that it's a great motivator? :)
SW: 71kg
W1: 68.7kg
W2: 69kg
W3: 67.9kg
W4: 67.6kg
W5: 66.6kg
MGW: 67kg ACHEIVED!! 6th October 2011 :)
W6: 66.0kg
W7: 65.1kg
W8: 65.1kg
W9: 65.4kg
W10: 64.7kg

Maddy's Mum

Postby byebyefat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:07 am

Thanks for that.
Well done with your success full weight loss to date :)

Return to Weight loss Talk