It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:26 am

Free Newsletter

Don't think I can. :'(

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Don't think I can. :'(

Postby CherryB » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I gained all the weight I lost in a body challenge over a period of 2 years (15kg and admittedly a little more) and I'm feeling really disheartened. I don't know what's going on because I've done it before but I JUST CAN'T DO IT AGAIN. It's the diet part, not the exercise.

I'm sitting here with a family packet of Cheese & Bacon Balls and a glass of Coke and I just bought a jar of Nutella which I plan to spoon feed to myself later tonight. I'm so embarrassed and I feel myself falling backwards. :cry:

Can someone please give me some advice on how to stay motivated and to not give in to temptation? I want to be the girl who lost all her weight and had control of her life and confidence.

I know a lot about health, diet and exercise so there is no problem there, it's sticking to a nutrition plan that's hardest and if I stuff up ONCE then everything falls apart. I wonder if it's emotional as I'm prone to that, and life is a little messy right now.

Any help please.

Thanks.
"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand almost anything. It’s your mind you have to convince." – Vincent Lombardi.
CherryB

Re: Don't think I can. :'(

Postby ganymede » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Howdy Cherry my dear,

Oh darling, you CAN, you definitely definitely CAN! When I first started losing weight again, I thought for sure this is not going to be any different but I was determined nonetheless. And now I'm almost 15kg lighter and I am so happy with what I have accomplished! Yes at first it was hard, very very hard and sometimes I was just craving bad things so much...but I kept at it and I knew that I always felt so much better when eating healthy and walking for 45 mins a day, I had so much more energy! And I wasn't getting those horrible sugar headaches or hours of fatigue in the afternoon from eating yucky food! The benefits are phenomenal and once you get passed the first couple of weeks, things become easier and more routine!

You don't want to starve yourself but you will need to make better choices...

My suggestion is to join MyFitnessPal and log your cals and exercise there. I am user "shelltree" if you wish to add me for support and motivation :) Or you can use calorie king, another great site. I find that having a low sugar cereal in the morning helps curb the hunger. My favourites are corn flakes and vita brits as they are very filling and you can have 3 cups of cornflakes and it's only 300 cals! You could also try wholegrain toast with a lower sugar jam or low fat marg spread or even baked beans for some protein.

For snacks I try to stick to fruit, something yummy like a pear or an apple if I feel like it or even pinapple or grapes, whatever takes your fancy! You could also have fat free natural yoghurt and frozen berries, very yummy :)

Lunch is by far the hardest meal for me, LOL. I never know what to eat... A salad sandwich on wholegrain bread or a wrap would be yummy or a low sodium, low fat soup or a salad with fish or another meat.

And for dinner, I always have the weight watchers/healthy choice meals with extra veges and for the sweet tooth, a biggest loser bar or a no fat yoghurt :) or a low fat hot choccy yum!

These are just my suggestions but as I said, you don't want to starve yourself. You are more likely to be cranky, sad and get easily demotivated if you are ravenous all the time! Even small changes at first can make a difference!

This is what this forum is here for, to help support and motivate you to reach your goals.

I believe in you, now do you believe in yourself? Because you CAN make it happen and you CAN see yourself reach your goals :)

All the best,

Shelley
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Maddy's Mum » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 am

Hey Cherry! :D

You have done it before so you know what to do it's just a matter of finding the trigger for the motivaitonal HOW to do it! What will make you drop the spoon and move away from the Nutella?

I could list all of the obvious - photos of yourself on the fridge (before and after your previous weight loss and maybe now?), mine - which is a pair of size 10 skinny jeans hanging on the back of the door, a special event to go to or maybe just promise yourself special "treats" along the way as a motivational tool?

I have only set myself a limit of 8kg at this stage and when I have got 1/2 way; 4kgs lost - I shall book in for a long hair appointment as that is my time out from everything and nobody disturbs for over 3 hours AND I come out looking much more groomed than I went in! My treat at the end of the whole thing will be having the body that I am happy with and consequently making my husband and daughter's lives more tolerable rather than moaning about how "lumpy" I am all the time. Oh yes and just getting into the aforementioned skinny jeans.

Are you planning a holiday for next year or do you have any weddings etc to look forward to - maybe they could be your goal?

Another thing maybe to use triggers from your previous weightloss goal - play music that was around when you were happy with your body, try to focus on the feelings that you had when you were at your goal weight?

Make yourself accountable, if not to anyone else then at least, to yourself.

I find that I look forward to my weigh in each week and coming on here and getting the support whether I have had a good or bad result at the scales.

Whatever works for you then there are alot of people who would be happy to lend their support on here and I am one of them.

Good luck and if there is anything you need ( mostly support and encouragement wise - I am no expert on the diet thing - I use Calorie King to record my diet and exericse!) just holler! :wink:
SW: 71kg
W1: 68.7kg
W2: 69kg
W3: 67.9kg
W4: 67.6kg
W5: 66.6kg
MGW: 67kg ACHEIVED!! 6th October 2011 :)
W6: 66.0kg
W7: 65.1kg
W8: 65.1kg
W9: 65.4kg
W10: 64.7kg
GW:63kg

Maddy's Mum

Postby CherryB » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Firstly thank you Shelley for your reply and motivating message. That is also wonderful news that you took control and made changes for the better. And congratulations on losing almost 15kg! That is already inspirational. :)

Thank you too for the very informative diet tips. There's things you've listed that I enjoy so there could be a little variety for me, and I also enjoy a low fat hot choccie (hehe) when on a diet. Yum yum!

:) :) :)

Also to Maddy's Mum, I appreciate your motivating input! Unfortunately I DID destroy the Nutella jar over a couple of days (boo!) and I admit it was very delicious. :wink: On a serious note, I agree with what you've said. Treats (not food ones!) are good rewards for hard work and dedication to health and fitness, and I have to be accountable to ME.

With regards to having a goal - I am moving to the UK early next year and will see friends and family I haven't seen in 5 years and I would be lacking confidence if I didnt look and feel how I want to, being healthy, fit and happy. And of course I want to make a good impression! :)

It is also funny you mention triggers from when I did it last time, such as playing music when I was how I want to be. I used to take a walk to the local botanical gardens about 4 times a week when I was doing my challenge and any time I'm down that way I feel like I'm 'her' again, and believe it or not, certain songs do it too. It totally reminds me of my previous success.

Thank you both so much for the advice, and this forum is fantastic for support and I will revamp my goals and do something about it.

Cherie :)
"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand almost anything. It’s your mind you have to convince." – Vincent Lombardi.
CherryB

Postby Maddy's Mum » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:04 pm

There you go Cherry - moving to the UK has to be the goal you are looking for - especially if you are going in their winter - they will all be eating because of the cold and you will turn up looking slim and healthy - I can't think of better motivation!

Actually - part of the reason I am loosing weight is because we got back from the UK 2 months ago and I had gone bananas over there (we are from there orginally and moved over here 5 years ago). I was eating and drinking everything that I shouldn't and had more than 1 too many pub splurges - food and drink!

Anyway - get started and do whatever it takes to get yourself in trim for the trip - I'm right behind you! :D
SW: 71kg
W1: 68.7kg
W2: 69kg
W3: 67.9kg
W4: 67.6kg
W5: 66.6kg
MGW: 67kg ACHEIVED!! 6th October 2011 :)
W6: 66.0kg
W7: 65.1kg
W8: 65.1kg
W9: 65.4kg
W10: 64.7kg
GW:63kg

Maddy's Mum

Postby workoutdvdworld » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:56 pm

The interesting thing about diets is that for some reason it is always easier to follow them the first time, and even if they worked, it gets more and more difficult to follow them strictly again. I think it must be a psychological thing!
I have found that the best way to lose weight and keep it off is through taking baby steps. Not setting yourself unrealistic goals and stressing about them, but thinking long term. It takes up to 30 days to create a new habit, so if you want to actually change the way you think about your diet and exercise you have to persevere with it. In order to persevere for a month it has to be something that is relatively easy to do.
I would say that the first step would be to get rid of the sugar cravings that seem to be sabotaging your diet plans. I have found that the absolute best way to get rid of the cravings is by eating protein with every meal. Protein is what makes you feel fuller for longer and it also gives you steady energy levels. One of the main reasons people emotional eat is because they hit an energy slump which makes them feel tired and therefore less self-controlled. If you have steady energy you will feel better physically and mentally and it will motivate you to stay on track.
Even though calories in versus calories out is the key to weight loss, I do believe that the type of calories you are eating play a massive role in your success. If you start off with just this one simple principle, eat protein with every meal, and make it a habit over the next 30 days, I guarantee that you will have less cravings by the end of it. Even if you stuff up and eat something high in sugar, counteract the effect it is going to have on your energy levels by eating some protein with it. It may sound stupid because you have just eaten a huge number of calories, and the extra protein will just add to it, but I promise you that this method works.
Apart from meat, fish, poultry and eggs, here are some other sources of protein: Tofu and other soy products, beans, lentils and legumes, nuts, seeds and nut butters, quinoa and other whole grains, dairy such as cottage cheese, hard cheeses, yogurt, milk and protein powders.
I love making a protein shake with frozen berries, a scoop of protein powder and some milk. The frozen berries make it really thick and it almost tastes like ice cream. It's delicious, high in protein and low in calories.
Once you have conquered the cravings you will be well on your way to slowly restricting your calories and upping your exercise. Just do it one step at a time. If you restrict yourself too soon too fast you will fail!
I really hope you are going to give this a go, because I know it works and I would love for you to succeed.
workoutdvdworld

Postby davidtfranz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:02 am

Hey guys

I've just read this forum discussion.
Cherry are you familiar to a show namely "BIGGEST LOSSER"?There you can see those people that are so big like 380 pounds but you could see their motivation in their eyes.Just to lose weight...that's why in the last part you could see changes in their weight..So you better like them be motivated...
davidtfranz

Return to Weight loss Talk