It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Free Newsletter

protein powders

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

protein powders

Postby alex19 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi all,
I was just wondering whether protein powders mixed with water is
a good meal replacement and assists with weight loss?
ImageImage GOAL WEIGHT DATE 4/12/11
alex19

Re: protein powders

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:11 pm

It would probably work as you'd be starving yourself. Eat food! Real food!
You're already a healthy weight and going to your desired weight of 65kg puts you very close to being underweight. Why the desire to go so low?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby alex19 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks metalcharm for your reply.
I was always around 65kg to 68kg until i reached 30yrs old was always eating healthy and being active.
I was prescribed medication for a illness early this year and had a large appetite and stacked on 10 or so kgs in a matter of months eating mainly high in sugar and fat foods side effect from the medication. :roll: I no longer take the medication as i am better.I have noticed i dont fit into my jeans that i used to wear
and generally feel self conscious when im out in public. I know its only 10kg to loose but i dont feel healthy.Ive tried other ways to loose weight atkins,diet shakes ,low cal diets but its not working.
I just want a quick and safe way to loose these kgs before summer.
I heard protein powder keeps lean muscle when you are excerciseing and suppresses appetite.
Anyway have to try something else.
alex19

Postby workoutdvdworld » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:34 pm

The only reason you should be taking protein supplements such as the shakes or bars is if you are doing the muscle building exercises that they are created for. If you don't eat enough protein from other sources such as meat, poultry, chicken, fish, legumes, dairy etc. then you might want to consider having one shake a day just to make sure your daily protein requirements are being met. Protein shakes don't suppress your hunger as such. Protein in general will make you feel full for longer than carbohydrate, but at the end of the day eating a healthy, balanced diet and doing regular exercise is the key.
Trying all those fad diets will likely stuff up your metabolism. You can work out weight loss calorie level using an online calculator so that you can see if you are under or over eating. If you under eat your metabolism slows down which means your body will hoard fat. Quick fixes will never last! You might be able to lose weight quickly if you stick to a really strict diet, but unless you are also learning the skills to keep it off long term you will put it all back on and probably more. Get off the diet band wagon. As you get older you will find it harder and harder to lose weight so you need to get into a healthy routine as soon as possible. Exercise is a big factor in weight loss. You should be doing cardio and weight training at least 3-5 times a week and then you should have no problem with your weight if you are eating an even moderately healthy diet.
workoutdvdworld

Postby alex19 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks for the info WODW.
I started afew days ago substituteing breakfast,lunch and dinner with the
whey protein powder mixed with skim milk and it has greatly stopped my craveings for
junk food.for snacks I have had a handfull of nuts or apple. I have energy and have upped my excercise.
I aggree with you on eating a balanced diet,but I need to loose these kgs within a matter of months.
Thanks again! :)
alex19

Postby AbelAbbot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 pm

According to me protein powders are the single most important addition to our diet for the development of new muscle tissue.
AbelAbbot

Return to Weight loss Talk