It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:08 am

Free Newsletter

Starting my weight loss journey- Anyone have advice?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Starting my weight loss journey- Anyone have advice?

Postby Savvy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some people to shed some light on this whole "weight loss" thing. I have never done any good at losing weight.
I am about 50 kilos overweight, being 160 cm's tall and weight 116 kilos. (female)
I guess I'd like to hear from people who have lost significant amounts of weight, and how they did it. the struggles, changing habits, sticking to the calorie control and how important excersise is to lose weight.
Also, I'd like to know if people have had "loose" skin after weight loss or not etc.

I've started on lite n easy, and my first week I lost 2.6 kilos. I also have a habit of getting up in the middle of the night 12-2am ish and have "midnight snax". Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks All! :D
Savvy

Re: Starting my weight loss journey- Anyone have advice?

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi Savvy

Weight-loss is different for each person since motivation, energy needs, emotional state varies to some degree in individuals. If I had to pick one single thing that a person has to do to lose weight, it is "consistency". A bit of a binge here and there won't matter as long as a person is consistent with their weight-loss effort over an extended period of time.

To be consistent requires knowledge and focus. This forum and accompanying website can help there. Participate, blog, chat, etc. Do anything you need to stay focussed.

Calorie control is important simply because you need to know how much food energy you are taking in in order to regulate it. If you eat more food than you need, you gain fat. The only way to lose fat is eat less food that your body needs.

Of course weight-loss (and gain) is more complex than my description above; for example, muscle contributes to both weight (by being there) and weight-loss (by burning energy).

Exercise doesn't contribute much directly to weight-loss (about a maximum of 20% compared to calorie control's 80%). It plays a very important role by helping to halt the muscle wastage which occurs naturally due to calorie restriction.

I lost over 50 kilos (and intend to lose another 8 or so). It wasn't difficult because I kept a food diary and was honest with myself. It just took time (about 20 months) and consistency. I knew it would take a few years to do it properly and didn't kid myself I could do it in six months. Seeing the long road ahead was disheartening, but I had no choice - the only way to get something done is to do it and don't give up.
CronicBadger

Postby XdanielX » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:24 am

Hi Savvy, You have made a great choice, good luck with it.

I am too on Lite n' Easy, I am on the 1800 calorie lunches and dinners, I just make my own breakfast which is either 2 slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter or a small bowl of oats and skim milk.

For exercise do mainly, and a lot of cardio exercises, which is basically running, jogging, walking, swimming etc.

Drink over 1.5 litres of water a day.

Cut down your portion sizes, with Lite n' Easy, all the food is already portion sized so you don't have to worry about that.

Stay away from junk food, fast food, butter, most oils, fried food and soft drink.

maybe add in some light dumbbell/strength exercises such as Squats, Lunges etc.

Midnight snacks are a weakness for everyone but if you absolutely need to do it try having a big glass of water, or maybe, if you are on Lite n' Easy, put one of your snacks you get (if you get the lunches it comes with snacks) aside just incase you get up then you are still within your calorie intake recommendation for the day.

I have lost 32kg so far pretty much doing this :)

good luck to you!

Daniel
January 4th 2016: 101kg
XdanielX

Postby leegunn1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:26 pm

I've decided to give my weight loss a really big push by getting a gastric balloon - I will have it installed (For want of a better word) late November - should be able to shake 10 kg's off by Mid January - well that's the hope any way. More info here http://www.leesweightloss.com/index.html
leegunn1

Postby markleach1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:58 am

Hey,

Well done :)

I think most importantly it's important to follow a program that fits in with your lifestyle.

I create a small caloric defecit everyday (200 calories) through food, walk moderately and lift weights.

I've dropped my waist from 34" to 32" within 100 days using this method.

For your cravings... try keeping some fruit near to you at bed (that's what I did anyway :) ).

Cheers,

Mark
markleach1

Postby davidtfranz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:13 am

markleach1 wrote:Hey,

Well done :)

I think most importantly it's important to follow a program that fits in with your lifestyle.

I create a small caloric defecit everyday (200 calories) through food, walk moderately and lift weights.

I've dropped my waist from 34" to 32" within 100 days using this method.

For your cravings... try keeping some fruit near to you at bed (that's what I did anyway :) ).

Cheers,

Mark

markleach1 your 100 percent correct for that...i Just add something for that also consult a doctor for any sort of advice then self motivation also.
davidtfranz

Return to Weight loss Talk