It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:03 am

Free Newsletter

Normal BMI

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Normal BMI

Postby SarahC » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:43 am

I have a silly question :oops:

Does anyone know what is the "normal" range for BMI? I thought it was 20 - 25, but then I read somewhere that it was 19 - 25.

(Reason for asking: my BMI is like 19 - 19.5, so I wonder if I'm "underweight" or "normal"... not that I care, just interested. I think it's more important how you feel rather than BMI etc, but anyway :roll: )
SarahC

Postby Ally » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:50 am

Hi Sarah it depends on your weight and height etc.
:arrow: http://www.rch.org.au/genmed/clinical.cfm?doc_id=2603 has a calculator to work it out for you!! Hope this helps
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:15 am

Thanks for that Ally :)

I know my BMI.. it's my weight (whatever that might be!)/(1.6)^2. So, around 19 - 19.5, depending on my weight lol. Just not sure if that's "normal" or not :?
SarahC

Postby KimE » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:33 am

Sarah I too have seen BMI lower limits at 19 and 20 so I am not completely sure myself. So it depends on which chart you want to go off weather you would be considered normal or underweight. I agree though some people’s frames can handle different tolerances underweight or overweight. Going by your photos you look good at that weight whereas I know people would try to feed me if I was under 50kgs and I think I would start to look gaunt.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ed » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi Sarah,

there's a BMI Chart and Calculator on this very site:

http://www.weightloss.com.au/weight-los ... -index.htm

According to the chart your BMI is at the lower end of the normal range.

BMI is a fairly general guide and isn't applicable to heavily muscled people and pregnant women etc as muscles and carrying children can obscure the results.

This particular chart is also only for adults and there is a specific chart for children.

Ed. :D
Ed

Postby SarahC » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:54 am

Thanks Ed and Kim. Woo hoo I'm normal :lol:

Poor me, I have a very unfortunate frame, so even if I was underweight, you couldn't tell from looking :(
SarahC

Postby yummymummy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:18 am

WOW Im normal too my bmi is 22.92 yay!
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Neney » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:35 pm

My CSIRO books says normal is 18.5-24.9
I think it varies, so it depends on certain factors.
I'm 33.4 so I have a longggg way to go lol
Mini Goal - Reach Double Digits!! 99kgs

Neney

Postby Dolly » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:14 am

when I get to my desired goal weight I will still be overweight :cry:
At the moment I am still listed in the obese range.
Dolly

Postby KimE » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:44 am

Sarah the BMI doesn't take into account small, medium and large frame types. I'm pretty sure I am a medium frame whereas you are possibly a small frame so even at a similar height we will probably carry our weight very differently. Anyway I thought you looked very good in your pics and didn't look scrawny or anything.

The BMI also doesn't seem to allow for racial body types either. What I mean by this is asian women for example are naturally much smaller than western women so they may find the BMI puts them underweight. Although I feel the BMI is a very good guide I think it is just that a guide.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:45 am

Just been watching (well, listening anyway) Sunday Sunrise. Apparently the World Health Organisation defines the normal range as 18.5 to 24.5 :shock: So there you go...
SarahC

Postby Lolly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:18 am

Well according to all the bmi stuff - I will be overweight until I nearly don't exist!!

I am 140cm tall (yeah very short lol) and I have a medium frame. Heaps of the calculaters try and tell me I am a child which I am NOT and wont calculate correctly for me.

WWatchers reckon I should weigh between 40-50kg. I know I look fine at 50 but under that, people want to feed me. In fact, when I was 19 and went to the doc to have my pregnancy confirmed with Bec, I weighed 47kg and the doc told me I was underweight!! She also told me to go home and eat something................. just forgot to tell me when to stop :oops:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Leenie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:11 am

hey just a thought to really confuse all of those who believe in the bmi:
it determines whether you are overweight, underweight, or normal based on height and WEIGHT, something that it doesn't take into account is muscle. you can have a bmi that says that you are overweight, when really it is all just muscle mass and very little fat, therefore it is not all that accurate.
i always used to stress about it because it considers me to be obese, but i have so much muscle (hidden under the fat), and muscle is a lot heavier than fat.

the bmi calculator considers GEORGE CLOONEY as OBESE!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waz05aR/]
[/url]
Leenie

Postby Bella214 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:19 am

the BMI can be confusing ... at the moment it considers me as being 'obese' ... i know i'm overweight but wouldn't consider myself to be obese ... i'm 165cm but have a large frame ... my goal weight is to be 75kg and even at that my bmi is still considered overweight! apparently, i should be 68kg (gulp!) i've been there, and done that and it ain't a pretty sight! hehe!

personally, i think that at the end of the day, once you've reached your goal weight and YOU are happy with yourself and you feel healthy, i think that is what matters most.

we know our bodies best!

:D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wX3QzRl/]
[/url]
Bella214

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:29 am

hey bella love your donkey :) hehe makes me smile

also it doesnt take into account the weight of a womans chest either!! and mine weigh alot! lol
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk